Anyone know of a good amp for around 500 to 600 dollars that can give me a really clean distortion for like prog shreddy metal kinda stuff? like im going to a fall of troy/CHON kind of sound so I will need a really clear distortion. but also alot of the songs i play has clean parts so the amp needs to have decent cleans. thanks!
what size venues? wattage? tube?
LICKY, LICKY LOLLIPOP

Quote by soundjam
Which is why you eat funions. All the deliciousness of fried onions without disgusting lukewarm onion snake.
The amp is only going to sound as clear as the player can be, keep that in mind, there is no magical hi-gain amp that will clean up sloppy playing and make you sound like Jeff Loomis or such.
Quote by Ascendant
The amp is only going to sound as clear as the player can be, keep that in mind, there is no magical hi-gain amp that will clean up sloppy playing and make you sound like Jeff Loomis or such.

Yes, but some amps articulate better than others. For example, the Soldano SLO will make every intricacy of a note ring out, but at the downside of articulating every mistake as well - therefore requiring a player to truly be 'clean' to sound his best.

I'd recommend the Vypyr Tube 60 or a used Jet City Amps JCA100.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Yes, but some amps articulate better than others. For example, the Soldano SLO will make every intricacy of a note ring out, but at the downside of articulating every mistake as well - therefore requiring a player to truly be 'clean' to sound his best.

How did that in any way make my statement any less true?
Quote by Ascendant
How did that in any way make my statement any less true?

My point is not all amps are created equal, meaning a better player will sound better through an amp that better articulates, whereas a sloppier player would benefit from a less articulate amp sound quality-wise (though not playing-wise). I wasn't necessarily trying to make your point sound any less true, I was just contributing my thoughts.

As for the Jeff Loomis thing, I'm sure if you looked up his rig and got all of it and plugged into it and dialed in his settings, I'm sure you'd sound at least a little bit like him, but that doesn't mean you'd play like him.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 13, 2010,
Fall of Troy uses Orange AD-30HTC heads, so if you could save up another grand, you could probably nail that sound pretty easily. Just a suggestion.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
mmm, you think it would be worth the wait to save up for the bugera 333xl or wait for the bugera magician to come out?
I got my Spider Valve for $600.. it's great!
Guitar/bass/mandolin stuff:
PRS SE Custom 24
PRS SE Paul Allender
Martin DCX1E
Squire Start
Memphis Bass
Johnson Savannah mando

Amp/effects/misc:
Digitech RP1000
Line 6 Spider Valve 212
Toneport Studio KB37

check out my last.fm!
Magician! or just get a mesa cause it's basically the same thing.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley