I've been playing for 5 years now and I've been constantly switching around with basses. I started off with a small little cheap Dean, then got a Schecter Custom-4, then an Ibanez BTB 555, now I'm playing an Ibanez SR300. I do NOT like the SR. The frets are small, the neck is small and my fingers are way too big for it. And I have like $800 to get a new bass and I've been looking at the ESP Viper 414 and a Fender Highway One P-Bass. I play in a Deathcore band right now and the SR is doing as well as I'd like it to and my bandmates hate it. It doesn't sound good and it's just....meh! So if ANYONE can help me that'd, I'd be very thankful.
I own a BTB776. Fantastic bass, needs a proper setup I reckon before you get the most out of it but other than that it's fine. Pickups are a bit hot, can hiss a little bit with certain setups, but has a huge dynamic range and a big fat neck.

Schecters are generally good so long as you are spending money buying the higher end models. Low end models are probably not going to be as good as the Ibanez BTB series.

/opinion.
I've been thinking about a BTB again cause I love the tones you can get with them and the neck on them feels great. But, they're a little bulky and my band like to uhhh....crabcore.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
If your band likes to ..."crabcore" you should probably spend the money on a pair of tight jeans and an emo haircut instead.

Nah, just kidding. I don't think you should choose your instrument on how you want to be on stage. You should choose the bass you like the most; the feel, tone, and perhaps the looks too.
I'm playing metal on my home built jazz, and it's not the most metal looking bass ever, but I just love the feel and the sound of it, so hey, that's my weapon of choice. For now, that is. I'm currently looking at a '90's Ibby SR-something, lol.
The metric system, bro, the metric system.
Quote by TheIrishPatriot
Have sex to Colors. Warning: You may never feel as epic ever again.
I don't know WHY i know this, but Fender Jazz basses are the standard 'deathcore' basses.

Get a Hiway1 or Delux Active.

Or forget a new bass and just get this:

Quote by Din of Win
I don't know WHY i know this, but Fender Jazz basses are the standard 'deathcore' basses.

Get a Hiway1 or Delux Active.

Or forget a new bass and just get this:

If you press this pedal it completely disconnects your bass and your amp just plays disco breakdowns
Honestly Windfall, I REALLY wouldn't be surprised if it did that xD
But, I want a body that feels comfortable when playing, not something that's going to hit my legs when I'm ... crabbing, I guess the word would be. And I'm honestly not a big fan of Jazz basses when it comes to Deathcore. They're nice, don't get me wrong, I love 'em. But I tried using one of the guitarist's American Standard Jazz Bass and I just ... couldn't really play on it. Plus, it's more of a Metalcore bass =P
I was looking at a Spector Legend Classic-5 though. Any opinions on that bass?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
I really love my Spector Legend but honestly for as much as you're spending you can get something nicer.

I'm not much of a "Core" kind of guy, I tend to do more Prog so I need something a little more versatile.

Though if your mates only really hate the sound of the SR and you just want something a little bigger neckwise but a body that won't kill you your best bet is to either save a little more and get a used Warwick (Corvette $$ would work really well imo but you may have a different opinion) or a Spector Euro (Rebop or otherwise. Either should work)

Edit:
I noticed no one has said much on the ESP so here's my 2 cents. I honestly think the viper body is about as hideous as it's namesake. Though on how they sound they honestly are pretty hard to be beat. I love mine and it's only got the HZpups and ESP eq on it. The sound is great but when I played on the B-4xx (i forget the actual number) it blew it away.

For which to get, well that's ultimately up to you but if you want something new then the ESP would be a good choice but if you go used the others I think would be better.
Last edited by thunderbritches at Jul 13, 2010,
I'm gonna be honest. I really don't like Warwicks. I don't know if it's the body, the neck or the electronics. But there's just something about them that makes me want to cringe every time I pick one up. I posted a thread about Spectors, hopefully you can answer my question in there =P
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox
I'm gonna be honest. I really don't like Warwicks. I don't know if it's the body, the neck or the electronics. But there's just something about them that makes me want to cringe every time I pick one up.

I'm not an expert, but have you seen the Warwick Streamers? I believe they use the NS design, the same design as the Spector Basses.
The metric system, bro, the metric system.
Quote by TheIrishPatriot
Have sex to Colors. Warning: You may never feel as epic ever again.
No. I played a Rockbass. Did not like it at all.

Edit:
I'm really looking for a 4 string with no more than 22 frets. Preferably a small body. Something I can throw around on stage. I also prefer a more light crisp sound, instead of those really heavy bulky sound.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Last edited by Nolanrox at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by Nolanrox
No. I played a Rockbass. Did not like it at all.

Edit:
I'm really looking for a 4 string with no more than 22 frets. Preferably a small body. Something I can throw around on stage. I also prefer a more light crisp sound, instead of those really heavy bulky sound.

A short scale jazz is EXACTLY what you're talking about...
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I don't think I can swing a jazz bass around me xD
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
This is kind of a bump, but not really.
I'm thinking of getting an Ibanez ATK but switch out the pick up with a Music Man pick up. Good idea or no?
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox
This is kind of a bump, but not really.
I'm thinking of getting an Ibanez ATK but switch out the pick up with a Music Man pick up. Good idea or no?

Well the ATK pickup is a triple coil pickup, not sure if switching to an MM humbucker would adversely affect the sound, but by switching out the pickup to an MM, you're essentially trying to make a cheap Stingray, a sound which the ATK can already emulate fairly well.

I'd say its not really worth the money or the time it takes to rewire it. If you want something Stingray-esque, you could get a used Stingray. They cost about the same as a used Rebop or that used Bongo you mentioned in your other thread.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
You'd only be butchering an ATK by putting a stingray pup into it. As has been said already, the ATK has a triple coil pup; and it's already capable of achieving a very good Stingray sound (definitely better than any of the budget stingrays around). Many say it compares with the real deal. By swapping the pup out, you're just limiting the versatility of the bass.

The only reason I can see to choose a cheaper stingray over an ATK would be purely based on appearance (although I think those ATKs look great anyway).
Damn, I was hoping that would work >.>
Oh well, I'll look for another used bongo.
Music Man Bongos give me a major clue.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Bass in deathcore? Blasphemy!

Ummm... All I can tell you is that 800$ is a lot of money so choose the one that feels best to you and sounds the best to you. Just don't get a BC Rich like I did haha.
Ew, BC Rich basses are poopy =[
But I have like...$1,600 bucks. But I don't want to spend it all on a bass, I need a new cab and a new odb since mine is brokened.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Hellhammerr
Bass in deathcore? Blasphemy!

Ummm... All I can tell you is that 800$ is a lot of money so choose the one that feels best to you and sounds the best to you. Just don't get a BC Rich like I did haha.

your basing all BC's off the bronze one trust me try one of their MIK bass's and you can find a cracking little metal bass's apart from that they dont do great in some other genre's i play and only ever gets brought out for 1 song at practice which is waking the demon -bfmv (was the drummers choice xD) and oddly the only metal song we play xD.

I would say P-bass with a nice set of QP's thats just me they are sensible, sound good and do the job and do it well thats what i think anyway, heck a nice little modded SX purely for deathcore might just be the ticket :P
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Go and play a REAL Warwick and not a Rockbass. Totally different basses. Alternatively look for a used Musicman Stingray or a S.U.B, those things were awesome, spewing they discontinued them.
I'm not a big Stringray fan. Warwicks aren't really my thing though. They look nice, sound nice, play nice. But I'm more into the old school look, like the ATK. I'm pretty much set on getting the ATK. For only $500, I can get the tone I've always wanted. Maybe when I get more money I'll look for an HS Music Man Bongo.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Razgriz_101
your basing all BC's off the bronze one trust me try one of their MIK bass's and you can find a cracking little metal bass's apart from that they dont do great in some other genre's i play and only ever gets brought out for 1 song at practice which is waking the demon -bfmv (was the drummers choice xD) and oddly the only metal song we play xD.

I would say P-bass with a nice set of QP's thats just me they are sensible, sound good and do the job and do it well thats what i think anyway, heck a nice little modded SX purely for deathcore might just be the ticket :P

Hahaha so true. Anyway nowadays BC's are not great, compared to other basses of the same price. The expensive ones are good, but not great. Besides the shape is a bit big-headed if you're not in a serious band that does big shows. :P
Honestly, I'd rather play something that sounds good and looks good. I'm looking on craiglists for Jazz basses before I buy the ATK just to be on the safe side. If I can find a cheap Jazz bass, I'm getting it, no questions asked.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92