help me remember what sorta bridge this is, its usually on tom style guitars and its where the strings go over the back part instead of thru, i think its called wrap around(?)
it's just an ordinary tune-a-matic.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Actually it is valid, your explanation fails. Wrap-arounds have the strings going through, TOM's have the strings going over them from the back.
Quote by imnouser
nah it is wrap-around, google it.

your facepalm is invalid

No, it's just a tuneomatic...you just put the strings in the other way.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The whole bridge system is called Tune-o-matic, and the part you're talking about is the "stop bar" tail piece. You can string it either the regular way from the rear, or enter the strings into it from the front and wrap them around over the top of it.
TS: You talking about this?

If so, then yes, its a wraparound TOM.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Why are you asking this in a new thread, when obviously you've found the answer without much trouble yourself?
Last edited by Y00p at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by Tinderwet
The whole bridge system is called Tune-o-matic

No, the tune-o-matic is only the front piece, which houses the bridge saddles. The rear piece is a stopbar; together they are a tune-o-matic and stopbar bridge. You can also get tune-o-matic and string-through bridges, which have no stopbar and the strings are anchored within the body of the guitar itself - contrary to popular belief this has no effect on sustain though, it's purely a cost-cutting and aesthetic decision.

Then there are wraparound tailpieces, which are another type of bridge. They are most commonly found on Les Paul Juniors, the Goddess series of Gibson Les Paul and SG guitars, Melody Makers and PRS guitars. These wraparound bridges consist of just one piece and usually feature ridges along their top so strings can be intonated roughly. Some wraparound bridges now feature movable saddles like a tune-o-matic so they can be intonated very precisely. Older wraparound bridges didn't have any saddles or ridges and were impossible to intonate correctly. Because of these limitations, wraparound bridges aren't terribly popular; however, they help a guitar sustain a note longer than any other bridge design.

This is confused further as some people restring their tune-o-matic and stopbar bridges with the strings wrapping backwards and over the stopbar, as if the stopbar was a wraparound bridge. This is still just a tune-o-matic and stopbar bridge though, regardless of how it has been restring.

Quote by cdr_salamander

If so, then yes, its a wraparound TOM.
You actually usually call those an adjustable wraparound, since adding the tune-o-matic name confuses people new to the subject (as this thread proves).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by MrFlibble
No, the tune-o-matic is only the front piece, which houses the bridge saddles. The rear piece is a stopbar; together they are a tune-o-matic and stopbar bridge.

You're right. Although the original patent mentions a trapeze tailpiece, it's not part of the patent.
Last edited by Tinderwet at Jul 13, 2010,
holy **** what have i started

thanks mrflibble, you pretty much summed it up for me

and yea i knew what it was already i just couldnt remember the name

what advantages are there to restringing my guitar like a wraparound stop-bar?
Quote by imnouser
nah it is wrap-around, google it.

your facepalm is invalid

i would seriously, SERIOUSLY suggest you do not google "wraparound".

o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you can get a wraparound bridge (PRS) or a stopbar that is wraparound (like tonepros) or a regualr stop bar on every les paul.

HOWEVER, you can string a regular les paul backwards and wrap over top the stop bar....thus creating a wraparound FO FREEEE

i know cause i do it.
Quote by Tinderwet
You're right. Although the original patent mentions a trapeze tailpiece, it's not part of the patent.

Hes not necessarily right. That patent doesnt mention tune-o-matic anywhere.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i would seriously, SERIOUSLY suggest you do not google "wraparound".

o_O

Why, what do you get?

Now I'm afraid of doing it because of icky pron sites or something...
look it up on the urban dictionary website. Actually there are a couple there that even i wasn't aware of, but the main one i meant is there. o_O
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
look it up on the urban dictionary website. Actually there are a couple there that even i wasn't aware of, but the main one i meant is there. o_O

I figured it would be something like that.

Damn those heterosexuals.
Quote by imnouser

what advantages are there to restringing my guitar like a wraparound stop-bar?
It helps lower the string tension when bending notes. Normally to lower the tension when bending you would raise the stopbar part of the bridge up. However, some people find that raising the stopbar lowers sustain a little. So by wrapping the strings over the top of the stopbar, you are effectively raising the height of the strings while keeping the stopbar against the body.

Personally, I don't notice enough of a difference to bother.

Also what you guys are calling a wraparound is more commonly called a reacharound. It's actually quite a skill to do properly, like patting your head and rubbing your stomach at the same time.
The more you know.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jul 13, 2010,
i've got talents. being ambidextrous helps. i like girls.

that's all.

edit: definition five on urban dictionary is best.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by MrFlibble
It helps lower the string tension when bending notes. Normally to lower the tension when bending you would raise the stopbar part of the bridge up.

No. Tension for a given scale length in a given tuning is always the same. It must be, otherwise they wouldn't be the same notes anymore. When the break angle is lowered at either pivot points of the string (nut or saddles), it will allow the strings to move more freely towards the bending point, because of the lowered pressure on those two points will also lessen the friction.
In other words, the strings will have more "give" in response to a string bend or even just fretting a note, but the actual formula for any given note is a function of mass, length, and tension, with no factors of the angle back around elsewhere in some other part of the string.
yeah i know reacharound is the main name for it, but i've definitely heard wraparound being used too. EDIT: I can't really say I've ever put much thought into the logistics of it, flibble.

UD only had 3 defs when i looked, min.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 13, 2010,