Any tube amp, regardless of wattage, fully cranked, can cause hearing damage if you're right in front of the speaker.

That said, some 5w amps are louder than others, and without getting into too much detail, most 5w amps aren't loud enough to play with a band and expect to be heard, unless you're being mic'd or the band is playing relatively quietly.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Most amp speakers are between I think 96 and 102 db/w which mean at 1m distance from the speaker you'd get 96 db at 1w power. Every time you double the wattage you get only 2db more. So a 5w amp would be only 2db quieter than a 10w which is 2db quieter than a 20w etc. etc.
When altitude dropping, my ears started popping. One more red nightmare...
^ 3 dB, actually.

OP, you should be fine as long as you're not right in front of the speaker. If it's too loud for you, though, you could look into a reamping rig or an attenuator (keep in mind an attenuator will not make it alot quieter without messing up your tone) If not, though, you could get some Extreme Isolation headphones.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
5w will sound very loud if you are sitting in front of it, but when you set your guitar down and walk a couple rooms away to where other people are, they might not even have heard it.

A 100w on the other hand fully cranked will remove the walking step. You will fly there.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
My amp has got a 5watt setting, it gets pretty damn loud, you can't turn it up all the way in the house without it being very uncomfortable to stand near.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I've got a Blackstar Ht5 with the 102 cabs, and if I crank it my neighbours will kill me. That thing is pretty frickin' loud! I even use it for jams, with EMG pickups I can juuuuust make myself nicely audible with a drummer.
Yeah
Unless you know what decibel range a drummer, bassist, and singer are going to be at at a show, why does it matter? Or if your parents or landlord or neighbors know exactly how many decibels they find annoying...

"Jimmy! The dB meter just spiked to 38! You're grounded!"

And it depends on the amp design, and really on speaker efficiency.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I'd say pretty damned loud. My band's old lead guitarist used an Epi Valve Jr, and could be heard fine, but then again, we're a sort of alt/light rock band.
Depends on alot of things.

The size of the speaker (bigger speakers are more effeciant at reproducing low end in general)
The effeciancy of the speaker
The voicing of the amp (American voiced amps tend to have less midrange, and would be quiter, because of all that "mids are the most important part of the amplification of guitars, because its a mid range based instrument" laadeedaa.)
And circuit design itself, certain parts of the preamp will make an amp quiter

For comparison purposes the 6 watt american voiced champ 600 with a 6 inch speaker is crankable at just above bedroom volumes.
While the british voiced epi valve JR with a 8" speaker would get you over a drum kit at full belt.
Quote by beckyjc
While the british voiced epi valve JR with a 8" speaker would get you over a drum kit at full belt.

It will be audible, but your playing is completely indistinguishable. Anything but palm mutes will just be a mess of fizz... And that's with the head into a decent 4x12, I can't imagine the combo.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
It will be audible, but your playing is completely indistinguishable. Anything but palm mutes will just be a mess of fizz... And that's with the head into a decent 4x12, I can't imagine the combo.

Maybe at full volume, but at 1:00 or so, it's a pretty mild overdrive that sounds good.
I got up to around 115 db with my HT-5 going through a Randall 2x12.
Quote by Alex Vik
Maybe at full volume, but at 1:00 or so, it's a pretty mild overdrive that sounds good.

At 1:00 or so its not audible over drums. I'm not bashing the VJ, just saying its not loud enough to play with drums.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!