Hey guys, i was just wondering what this amp is like because i played one today and it was really good for the price, ive heard that its bad but i just want some people opinions..
for metal they're decent for the price, don't expect to nail the classic rock sounds with it. Clean is hmmmm... meh. I have a spider III as a starter amp but personally i would never buy it again.
First off, don't.

To explain, and I'm trying to keep my opinions out of here:
Generally speaking, relative beginners (anywhere from 1 to 3 years of experience) tend to love amps such as Spiders or MG's, because with their level of 'ear experience' and tonal development they actually think they sound good. These guys are usually of the 'gain-to-10-and-get-the-mids-out-of-there'-variety. And let's face it, the amps are catered to them; Cheap, easy to use, low wattage and lots of built in effects.
However, once you've gone past that stage, once you've been playing a fair deal of 'good' amps and have developed a good ear for tone, you'll find that in comparison, they suck absolute balls. For one, they completely take clarity and stuff it down the drain, and give you back a big mesh of a buffalo's diarhea dump and the rotten asshole of a roadkill skunk...

To end the rant: If you've been playing for about a year, and are looking for an upgrade for your Peavey Rage158, at about 30W's and to use for a year or two, a SpiderII/III will actually serve you quite well. But don't say people didn't warn you, when in three years you come back asking how to get a proper tone out of it.

edit: Also, if you get around to using it, stay with the built in effects. Anything you get in front of there will just be sucked up in that buzzing hell-noise. The moment you think you need other effects because they're 'better', is the moment you should get away from the spider.

Oh, and I added a reference. Kudo's to who gets it!
Last edited by Y00p at Jul 13, 2010,
I have been gigging with my Line 6 Spider II for several years now and IMHO it performs outstandingly and I am even more confident in it after some drunken a**hole jumped on stage flailing around and fell knocking over my stack sending the head crashing to the floor about 8' off the back of the stage, it ripped the power cord out of the amp and the cord to my pedal board as well. We plugged it back in and it worked perfectly aside from a scuff on one of the corners it's now worse for the wear. I thought I was going to have to kill the guy and buy a new amp. As far as tone most people are just too lazy to learn the amp I get great tone out of it I have learned the settings and can dial in to match a lot of amps sound/tone. I have to say I do not use it much if at all on a clean channel but when I was gigging with my old Marshall JCM and my Soldano I used an Electroharmonix Big Muff to get the distortion I liked never played those clean either. I have several pedals I use with mine as well as a vintage Vox Wah with no noise or any problems. I did have to figure out what pedal went first but that is with using any amp.

The main thing if your going to use a Line 6 is to LEARN how it works you'll be surprised at how good it actually performs contrary to what a lot of people say it's a good amp. At almost every gig I have to give a little class on how I set up mine because people like how it sounds and say why can't I get my that tone from my Spider. I think the whole problem is the factory settings I do not use them at all. Every time you switch from say metal to insane you have to reset all the other dials especially the Drive and Channel vol.
Quote by johnro6659
I have been gigging with my Line 6 Spider II for several years now and IMHO it performs outstandingly and I am even more confident in it after some drunken a**hole jumped on stage flailing around and fell knocking over my stack sending the head crashing to the floor about 8' off the back of the stage, it ripped the power cord out of the amp and the cord to my pedal board as well. We plugged it back in and it worked perfectly aside from a scuff on one of the corners it's now worse for the wear. I thought I was going to have to kill the guy and buy a new amp. As far as tone most people are just too lazy to learn the amp I get great tone out of it I have learned the settings and can dial in to match a lot of amps sound/tone. I have to say I do not use it much if at all on a clean channel but when I was gigging with my old Marshall JCM and my Soldano I used an Electroharmonix Big Muff to get the distortion I liked never played those clean either. I have several pedals I use with mine as well as a vintage Vox Wah with no noise or any problems. I did have to figure out what pedal went first but that is with using any amp.

The main thing if your going to use a Line 6 is to LEARN how it works you'll be surprised at how good it actually performs contrary to what a lot of people say it's a good amp. At almost every gig I have to give a little class on how I set up mine because people like how it sounds and say why can't I get my that tone from my Spider. I think the whole problem is the factory settings I do not use them at all. Every time you switch from say metal to insane you have to reset all the other dials especially the Drive and Channel vol.

This - the other guitarist in my band uses a 150 watt spider III and it sounds fine. Not the best tone in the world but you can't expect that from an amp of the price. But it does a fine job. What he said about it was "the presets were made by numbskulls, but there's controls on the front of the amp for a reason".

Though i personally don't like the spider because it just doesn't handle the sort of medium gain, vintage voiced tones how i would want it to, it's not a "bad" amp. I have heard of some build quality issues with the speaker cabinets which wouldn't apply to the head, from people who own spiders and have had some bad experiences with them, but that's nothing to do with the way the amp is meant to sound.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
This - the other guitarist in my band uses a 150 watt spider III and it sounds fine. Not the best tone in the world but you can't expect that from an amp of the price. But it does a fine job. What he said about it was "the presets were made by numbskulls, but there's controls on the front of the amp for a reason".

Though i personally don't like the spider because it just doesn't handle the sort of medium gain, vintage voiced tones how i would want it to, it's not a "bad" amp.
I have heard of some build quality issues with the speaker cabinets which wouldn't apply to the head, from people who own spiders and have had some bad experiences with them, but that's nothing to do with the way the amp is meant to sound.

This. The first step to making that amp sound remotely good is knowing how to set up your own presets. And it's true about the medium gain part, it's not the best. The closest I could do was picking a Metal channel and rolling the gain down as much as I could.

Granted for the money I wish I bought a Peavey Valveking instead. But when I was starting I couldn't tell the difference. They are great beginner amps.
Quote by siverstorm
This. The first step to making that amp sound remotely good is knowing how to set up your own presets. And it's true about the medium gain part, it's not the best. The closest I could do was picking a Metal channel and rolling the gain down as much as I could.

Granted for the money I wish I bought a Peavey Valveking instead. But when I was starting I couldn't tell the difference. They are great beginner amps.

that's exactly how i went about finding a tone i liked from the spider - the "insane" setting with the gain rolled back to almost nothing. It was a nice enough sound for messing around with but not voiced quite right for the sort of music i play, so i could never find a real use for it.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Of course you have to know how to set up your own amp, and yes, with the proper knowledge you can make the Spider sound useable (I used a Spider II for a few years). But a 'useable' amp, still cries 'I NEED TO BE UPGRADED' to me. It's sure as hell not a 'good', let alone 'great' amp in my book.
People aren't really fans of spiders on here!
but for a solid state amp, it is very good, i mean no your not going to get that 'tube warmth' or whatever because it has no tubes, hence the price tag
I've been using and gigging one for about 3 or 4 years now (212 version), and it hasn't let me down once
I agree about the cleans, they leave a lot to be desired, but if your playing metal their great
definitely go for a spider II though, rather than a later model, since they are basically the same with just more gimmicks and presets, save alot of money!
The Spider II is the only spider I'd ever recommend. A good friend of mine, he's a lead guitarist, has been using the II to gig for several years now and it sounds just as good as a mesa playing next to him.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Quote by johnro6659

this

A good guitarist can make a 100$ amp sound like a 1000$ one...the spider III is a good practice amp...no offense but (some) people around here should understand that not everyone has the cash to buy multimillion dollar amps..
I also love how the other 90% of UG (The bandwagoners) who says "SpIdor AmPZ ARe SH1T" (or similar in a more legible post) haven't posted here with complete "no" posts lol.

Every post here has been pretty level-headed
This is not the UG I once knew

And it's true I bought my spider because it was literally the cheapest amp available to me (I also thought loud always = good ) For the price I was getting a 75W amp, and to lil old beginner me that was magical.

If my budget back then was more than 500 I'd probably have been directed to other amps instead.
Quote by Y00p
buffalo's diarhea dump and the rotten asshole of a roadkill skunk...:

I love the Angry Video Game Nerd