I posted this in the Orange Owners Unite! Thread, but recieved no replies So here it is again...

Guys,

I'm a bit torn between the Rocker 30 Combo and the Thunder 30 Combo. I play mostly classic rock such as Zeppelin, AC/DC, Dire Straits, Aerosmith etc. I also like to step into some Muse stuff from time to time too (I already have a Fuzz Factory for the Muse fuzz).

I will be playing through an Epiphone Les Paul Custom with Bareknuckle Riff Raff in the bridge and a Mule in the neck.

Which one would you say would suite my needs more?

Any pro's and con's to either?
The Thunder 30 is considered an upgrade to the Rocker 30. It has 2 more EL84 power tubes and an effects loop. I would say as versatility goes, I would choose the Thunder. Hope this helps.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Theyre pretty different amps down on paper. ^The rocker uses 2 EL34s btw, thunder uses 4 EL84s, more valves doesnt make it better, just voiced differently.

From what ive heard the thunder has much better cleans, a more modernly voiced dirty channel with more gain, a valve powered FX loop, power switching, and an EQ on the clean channel, which the rocker has none of.

Since these amps havent been realeased no one can tell you what sounds better really, I should have mine next month though.
I'm hearing bad things about the TH30 having only a "Shape" control for the dirty channel. How does the Shape knob work? Surely you'd want more flexibility from the dirty channel on your amp?

Does the Rocker 30 Combo have a 3 band EQ for the dirty channel?
The shape control is taken from the Thunderverbs Channel B, its not as good as a 3 band EQ for obvious reasons, but far more effective than a tone control like thats on the terrors, since they just roll off high end.

It works like so

If its at noon, the shape of the EQ is flat. Equivilant to Bass, Mids and treble all at noon,

--------
B  M  T

crank it all the way to the right, it boosts the bass and treble to 10 and cuts the mids to 0, (basically scooped metaly sounds).

\    /
  \__/
B  M   T

All the way to the left the mids would be at 10 and the bass and treble at 0,
   __
 /    \
/      \
B  M   T

then just tweak for inbetweeny settings.

But the advantage with this amp over the rocker is the FX loop, meaning you can pick up a graphic EQ to run after the preamp for more tweakability.

Yes the rocker has a 3 band EQ for the Dirty channel, no EQ for the clean channel though.
Last edited by beckyjc at Jul 13, 2010,
Sorry, but why Orange?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by Darkflame
^why not Orange

Because of the same reason people always ask "Why Marshall?".
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
^Oranges are indeed good, but there might be another amp that is better for TS. You never want to think of just brands but of each individual amp, otherwise you are just restricting yourself.
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I am open to any other suggestions of amps that are similar to the two I have mentioned?

I am very interested in these amps, but I don't want to bottleneck myself into choosing just Orange...
Assuming you're in the UK/EU (which is likely if you're buying an Orange..)

You could always look at a Blackheart BH100 Hot Head. They sound amazing and are around the same price with a couple more features.

HOWEVER. This is just a 3rd option, Oranges are amazing. The Rocker is brilliant for the classic rock side of things and takes pedals nicely. A way I found that was good to get more from the Rocker was to buy an OD with an onboard 3 band EQ (I went for the Catalianbread Sliver Kiss MKII) Gives your cleans a bit more bite and a bit more control.

Also if you were using modulation for the Muse stuff I wouldn't worry too much about it because you'll be using the FF for your dirty tones. But beware, because delay is completely unuseable out front of the Rocker using the amp's OD channel. So if you're using delay and stuff frequently, get the Thunder, but if not, you can probably pick up a Rocker cheaper since the Thunder is supposedly replacing it.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Quote by Darkflame
^why not Orange
I think I've seen that Jimmy Page uses an AD30, by the way =) not sure, but the ad30 is still an amazing amp

The only decent one they make for classic rock, IMO.

Orange is almost stupidly dark for crunch.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
even though it may not affect sound or reliability, I'm fairly certain the Rocker 30 is Made in England and the Thunder 30 is Made in China
Quote by beckyjc
^Balls, the rocker is great for classic rock.

You're just doing it wrong.

The guy who sold me the 800 had a Rockerverb 100 and two PPC412 cabs. (he was selling that rig as well)

LP Std, 8.2k bridge pup, Volume 2:00, Low 11:00, Mid 12:00, Treble 4:00, still didn't like it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
The guy who sold me the 800 had a Rockerverb 100 and two PPC412 cabs. (he was selling that rig as well)

LP Std, 8.2k bridge pup, Volume 2:00, Low 11:00, Mid 12:00, Treble 4:00, still didn't like it.

where was your gain set......???????
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Im pretty sure the rockerverb is way different from the 30. Though i havent the verb.

The bigger heads are voiced better for sludgey stuff. If thats not to your taste its a personal thing, but saying the 30 cant do classic rock is a mind ****. Ive never heard an amp with nicer crunch.

Though ive never played any "high end" gear.

Yeah the TH30 is made in china. All the orange amps are made in china (well the PCBs and components), then shipped to UK to peice it together, then slap on a Made in england sticker.

The entire thing will be mic (including the head chase), not really a way to determine quality tbh, everything in your house is probably MIC.
Ya i've still got my mic in china sticker on my ass.

I'm iffy about the thunder30. I don't like el84s. But they did some nice things with the circuit. A thunderverb 200 is definitely on my list of things to maybe have in a studio though.
Im not imagining itd be anything like the thunderverb, or anything else orange has done before tbh.

Why the 200 watter? In a studio? Do you haz a teeny peniz?

How do you know if you dont like EL84s, or you just dont like the amps that use EL84s, since theyre not interchangable (i dont think), you couldnt really compare.

I think theyll add some much needed colour to the clean channel really.

Though im expecting this amp to be darrrrk.
i've never had an el84 amp I really liked. I've played a bunch of them. I put them in my thd. meh meh meh. It's just personal though. Some people love how they sound. They are smaller el34s..so ya.

Cuz for baritones. chuggachuggachugga. Plus the 200 isn't really a 200 watt amp...it runs 4 6550s and only hits 200watts in 2/4 ohm and 100 in 8/16ohm. but ya. bass. baritone. chugga chugga weeeee. my penis is teeny but really really heavy.
im sad to find out oranges are made in china.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
they've been like that for a while. just the pcb though. all the components are top shelf...

the tv200 is traced with solid gold.

the t30, tt, dt are made in china...but they were gonna move in that direction anyway. orange is hardly a boutique anymore
Quote by AcousticMirror
they've been like that for a while. just the pcb though. all the components are top shelf...

the tv200 is traced with solid gold.

the t30, tt, dt are made in china...but they were gonna move in that direction anyway. orange is hardly a boutique anymore

they arent even PTP?
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
no they haven't been ptp for a while. The tt has a handwired version and they have a custom shop that does ptp stuff.
Quote by bubb_tubbs

I actually find, that through a 4x12 there's far too much low end to get a good rock tone from the 'verb, through a 2x12 they can get pretty awesome. I had no trouble getting a rock tone from the 'verb.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey