I've glued up two pieces of maple to make a body blank. I tried to get the inner surfaces (where the glue goes) to be as flat and smooth as possible, but I think I've failed in that aspect.

There is a gap on one side of the blank. It's just wide enough to slot a piece of paper in, but it runs down the length of the entire blank.

The two pieces of wood are not perfectly flat. They are not level when laying on the table next to one another. This makes it a bit difficult to create a flat edge for gluing with the tools that I have.

I'm not sure what I should do.
Should I leave it the way it is and fill the gap?
Or should I saw it apart and try again?

Thanks in advance.
I'm not very experienced in the field, but I'm mainly concerned about the strength of the joint. I'd take it apart, sand the excess glue off, and try it again. As for the crack's visual default, I wouldn't worry too much - it'll be quite easy to fill and smooth while painting the guitar.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
When joining the two timbers you want to have two slightly roughened surfaces to create a better join. You will need to sand the two surfaces with 600 - 800 grit paper to give yourself the best gluing surface. It may not be totally necessary to separate the join but I would recommend it given the tension placed on it you want to make sure it's as strong as possible. Good luck
Do you have access to a planer? It sounds like you need to plane the wood and then glue it.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Quote by Zamorak
Do you have access to a planer? It sounds like you need to plane the wood and then glue it.

I'm afraid I don't. I have a jigsaw, a small circular saw and a plunge router.
They way I've been doing it is using a flush trim router bit against a straight edge. I'm getting some good results, except it slips sometimes and I get these rounded dents in an otherwise straight piece of wood. I've tried doing it again, and sanding them out, but I always mess up.
Quote by CloakedDagger
When joining the two timbers you want to have two slightly roughened surfaces to create a better join. You will need to sand the two surfaces with 600 - 800 grit paper to give yourself the best gluing surface.

600-800? Wouldn't that give a smooth edge?

Anyway, thanks for the advice so far. I think I'll take it apart and try again.
Last edited by sashki at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by CloakedDagger
When joining the two timbers you want to have two slightly roughened surfaces to create a better join. You will need to sand the two surfaces with 600 - 800 grit paper to give yourself the best gluing surface. It may not be totally necessary to separate the join but I would recommend it given the tension placed on it you want to make sure it's as strong as possible. Good luck

this, although id say around 400 grit. i used 200 on mine
you dont want it perfectly smooth need to rough it up a bit.

i'd take it apart, remove the glue, try it again, and make sure you clamp it very well
Last edited by Doonan at Jul 13, 2010,