I've had some serious GAS for the last couple of months and have narrowed my choice down to these guitars, all in the £400-£500 range;

Ibanez S420/S570 (essentially the same guitar, but with different finishes)
Jackson DK2M
PRS SE Singlecut/Singlecut Trem/Tremonti

Anyway could you guys could give me some advice on which to chase after? I play mostly Maiden, Metallica and Megadeth stuff, and started recently on songs by Porcupine Tree. I really need one that will stop me from wanting another guitar for longer than 6 months.

Also, i can't try out any of the particular models i mentioned cause the guitar shops here are useless unless you're going after a Fender, but i know that the Ibanezs have the same neck profile as my Ibanez, I can get my hands on a Jackson with a similar neck profile to the DK2M and for the PRS, is a Gibson Les Paul Custom from the 90's a good comparison for neck profile etc?

Any help is appreciated, and feel free to list any alternatives to the ones i listed

EDIT: ignore the amp, im probably gonna upgrade the amp when i get back to uni in october
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Last edited by DegaDeth at Jul 13, 2010,
IF i was you, i'de get a new amp first.
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-1 FR
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
PRS Custom 24
SX Strat

Peavey 6505+
BUGERA 333XL
Laney LA412 Cab
Marshall AVT100 (Living at my friends place :P )
imho, you cannot go wrong with a PRS...even the SE models are still a higher quality guitar than most other machine made guitars. I had a Jackson Dinky, which is similar to the DK2M i believe...and it was a piece of shit, the tremolo never held tune, the neck was weak and i got screwed big time. Ibanez's are quality guitars though. I am a HUGE Tremonti fan so I am leaning towards the PRS, but honestly...i would find a way to play them all and make the determination that way...but if you cant play them all, visit different music retail websites and read customer reviews, not just the star rating, but the actual reviews and read the problems ppl had and whatnot....hope all of this could be of some help.

Cheers
Quote by wagos408
imho, you cannot go wrong with a PRS...even the SE models are still a higher quality guitar than most other machine made guitars. I had a Jackson Dinky, which is similar to the DK2M i believe...and it was a piece of shit, the tremolo never held tune, the neck was weak and i got screwed big time. Ibanez's are quality guitars though. I am a HUGE Tremonti fan so I am leaning towards the PRS, but honestly...i would find a way to play them all and make the determination that way...but if you cant play them all, visit different music retail websites and read customer reviews, not just the star rating, but the actual reviews and read the problems ppl had and whatnot....hope all of this could be of some help.

Cheers

thanks, im kinda leaning towards one of the PRS models atm. Theres no denying that they are high quality, being made in Korea with set-necks and electronics are supposed to be really good. But with the DK2M being a pro-series guitar, wouldn't that mean that it could be high quality as well?

And does anyone know what the trems on the PRS SE Singlecut Trem is like? I'd probably go with that over the other 2 cause i wouldn't mind having a trem, and is the Tremonti much different from the standard SE Singlecuts?
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

The S420 you mentioned vs. an S570 are probably not exactly the same guitar. IF you could shoot a little more information about those two we could probably tell you which is better... I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the 570 would be a better buy.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
I had a Jackson some time ago that I liked. It was a DX10D and I swapped the hardware with a PS4 and installed EMG 81s and it was great, never an issue with it. I know a few people that have had Jacksons of late that have had problems.

I'd recommend the Ibanez if you think you'd use the tremolo system on it, if not, I'd go for the PRS.
Quote by Zamorak
The S420 you mentioned vs. an S570 are probably not exactly the same guitar. IF you could shoot a little more information about those two we could probably tell you which is better... I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the 570 would be a better buy.

S420-http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S420
S570-http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S570B

The only difference that i can see is the single-coil in the middle position on the S570, which could be awkward for me cause of the way that i pick. But tbh, the S570 was my first choice before i saw the DK2M and the PRS guitars
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

Quote by DegaDeth
S420-http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S420
S570-http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-S570B

The only difference that i can see is the single-coil in the middle position on the S570, which could be awkward for me cause of the way that i pick. But tbh, the S570 was my first choice before i saw the DK2M and the PRS guitars

Between those two, there shouldn't be much of a difference. I think it'd be a choice between whether or not you want that single coil in the middle, and of course the finish you want.
The PRS tremolo is one of the best made is what I have heard, I have never played with a PRS tremolo extensively, but I have heard that they are the best. They keep tune without having the double-lock.

The difference between the tremonti and the other SE singlecuts are the pickups. The SE singlecut you can get with a variety of pickups, but the Tremonti has a specific pickup set
accidentally typed the wrong thing into google and got the PRS SE Custom 22 Trem. Anyone have any opinions on it in comparison to the Singlecuts?
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

Ahh I thought that the S's were used. I would stay away from those if I were you, new Ibbys made in indonesia don't have the best quality control and if you buy used the ibanez you'd get would be MILES better than what buying a new S would be.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Ive got PRS Tremonti SE for about 1 month. There is no fret buzz, dead note or anything like that. Its not that heavy like les paul models (ive tested some epiphones LP standarts and they are much heavier). Sound is very good, this PRS pick-ups are really good, u can get a lot of different tone from it. Very good clean but bone crushing distorted as well. Just test it in your local store. (btw ive got blackstar ht-5 combo which is very good with this guitar)
i agree. what do you think will make you sound better (drastically different), a new guitar under 500, or an amp for the same amount.

the answer is not the guitar. of course there is a difference, but get am amp with atleast a 10 inch speaker. i would say 12. and get some of respectable quality and you wont even belive the difference.

micro cubes are nice, but its a 4 inch speaker. 4 inches. you cant hear anything with 4 inches. after you play out of a respectable amp with atleast 1x12, you will enver want to touch the cube unless your in a dorm room.
Quote by ikey_
i agree. what do you think will make you sound better (drastically different), a new guitar under 500, or an amp for the same amount.

the answer is not the guitar. of course there is a difference, but get am amp with atleast a 10 inch speaker. i would say 12. and get some of respectable quality and you wont even belive the difference.

micro cubes are nice, but its a 4 inch speaker. 4 inches. you cant hear anything with 4 inches. after you play out of a respectable amp with atleast 1x12, you will enver want to touch the cube unless your in a dorm room.

only thing is that i can't honestly justify spending £500 on an amp. Why? Cause i've got no need for an expensive amp cause i'm not in a band or anything, and i have to worry about noise levels at uni next year cause me and my friends are renting out a 1st floor apartment with apartments surrounding us. But if you can recommend a good amp at £200 max, i'll consider it
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

matchetts in belfast normally stocks ibanez and jackson. that's a fair trek from where you are, but it would probably be worth it if you're spending £400 on a guitar if you're worried about the neck profiles. marcus normally stocks prs ses, too.

obviously phone before making the journey just to make sure they have them in stock, i haven't been for a while.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
matchetts in belfast normally stocks ibanez and jackson. that's a fair trek from where you are, but it would probably be worth it if you're spending £400 on a guitar if you're worried about the neck profiles. marcus normally stocks prs ses, too.

obviously phone before making the journey just to make sure they have them in stock, i haven't been for a while.

i'm well aware of Matchetts, thats where i got my Ibanez. Was up there on Wednesday and they didn't have any of the guitars that i'd be interested in. Same with Marcus's, i heard from a friend of mine that they might stock PRS's, but they didn't have any in stock that i could see.

Is Gibson Les Paul necks comparable to PRS necks tho?
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

IMHO i think you should go for a new amp instead of a guitar.

I'm not sure on a amp under £200 but if your willing to go for a £300 amp you should get a Blackstar HT-5 Combo

It's a very good amp and its perfect for your situation (Flat Living) it shouldn't bother anyone or annoy any neighbours. It's also extremely versitile and if you really dont want to spend more than £200 then i think you can look preowned.

If you get this amp you will never even look at that roland micro cube again.
i was in guitar center the other day and picked up an SG and a prs SE. found the necks kinda similar if you ask me. and to a les paul studio kinda.

they definitely arent thin or tiny or anything. i would say fairly normal (for a not shred guitar).

...although i find fender necks to be different than most les paul style (or many otehr style). i dunno maybe just my hands.
Quote by MM14
IMHO i think you should go for a new amp instead of a guitar.

I'm not sure on a amp under £200 but if your willing to go for a £300 amp you should get a Blackstar HT-5 Combo

It's a very good amp and its perfect for your situation (Flat Living) it shouldn't bother anyone or annoy any neighbours. It's also extremely versitile and if you really dont want to spend more than £200 then i think you can look preowned.

If you get this amp you will never even look at that roland micro cube again.

tbh i really regret not getting the Cube 15X over it for the same money, but that Blackstar does look tempting. What about a Vox VT15?
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

Quote by DegaDeth
i'm well aware of Matchetts, thats where i got my Ibanez. Was up there on Wednesday and they didn't have any of the guitars that i'd be interested in. Same with Marcus's, i heard from a friend of mine that they might stock PRS's, but they didn't have any in stock that i could see.

Is Gibson Les Paul necks comparable to PRS necks tho?

fair enough, as i said, i haven't been in a while.

they're probably in the ballpark, but they're not going to be identical. plus gibson has a couple of different necks, too, which complicates matters.

EDIT: what? the micro is far better than the cube 15 if you ask me, unless you just really need the extra volume.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I know it's probably hard to do, but if you're really worried about the neck profiles, you HAVE to find a way to check them out. Post an add in the papers for all I care, but you should realise that you're going to spend 500 pounds on this, you don't want to rush the decision or immediately write off one option just becaue you're afraid the neck isn't right for you... You'll never going to find a definite answer comparing it to other necks, because the difference may be very subtle to one and very defining to others.
Quote by Y00p
I know it's probably hard to do, but if you're really worried about the neck profiles, you HAVE to find a way to check them out. Post an add in the papers for all I care, but you should realise that you're going to spend 500 pounds on this, you don't want to rush the decision or immediately write off one option just becaue you're afraid the neck isn't right for you... You'll never going to find a definite answer comparing it to other necks, because the difference may be very subtle to one and very defining to others.

i'm not that worried about neck profiles, i'd be more than happy to buy a guitar on blind faith, but i knew people would be telling me that i should try out the guitars first so thats why i mentioned that i can try out guitars with similar neck profiles, but not the actual guitar
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

what all ibanezes and jacksons did matchetts have when you were in? a lot of those might have very similar profiles.

and did marcus not have any prs ses at all? the last time i was in (granted about a year ago, maybe more) they had several.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
what all ibanezes and jacksons did matchetts have when you were in? a lot of those might have very similar profiles.

and did marcus not have any prs ses at all? the last time i was in (granted about a year ago, maybe more) they had several.

matchetts had a couple of RG's (350 and that cheap prestige are the only 2 that i can remember) and a SA120

and im pretty sure that marcus's didnt have any prs, but then again i did have a hangover from hell so it wouldn't surprise me if there were any i didn't see them

But as i said, neck profiles aren't really important to me, just thought that if it were to be brought up that i can say that there are different guitars that i can try out that might be similar to them
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

try those ibanezes (the non-prestige ones). odds are the neck'll be the same. i think they all have wizard IIs (though check the ibanez site to be sure).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?