My Carvin Legacy head will be here soon. That will sit on top of an Avatar 2x12 w/ super Celestion 65s.

I will play my Epiphone Special DC through said amp with my Original Crybaby, and Boss DD-3.

Let's try and fit an OD pedal in there as I was told the Legacy head might need a boo0000ooost for metal, and I like to get pretty heavy...

Budget is $150-200 usd max. Willing to go used, and most likely will only go used.

If we can get the price cheaper that is great.

I am considering the Fulltone OCD, and Maxon od808
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
you're considering 2 nice pedals - if you have the opportunity to try before you buy then do so, thats the only way to tell really

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Tube screamer dude.

And a Legacy for metal? thats.. interesting....
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Tyler Durden
you're considering 2 nice pedals - if you have the opportunity to try before you buy then do so, thats the only way to tell really

I doubt GC has either pedal tbh, and if they did (going there today) I'm not sure they would be cool with my hauling all my gear in there.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Get a used ibanez Tubescreamer or a TS808, the maxon is pretty much the same but most people use Tubescreamers. If you can't afford/find one then get a Digitech Bad Monkey, it works just as good as the TS as a boost

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by stonyman65
Tube screamer dude.

And a Legacy for metal? thats.. interesting....

How so?

Quote by slickerthnsleek
Tubescreamers are the standard, but the OD808 is well worth the bit extra that it costs.

The other guy said there is hardly any difference.

Why would the OD808 be worth the extra cost then?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Last edited by Guitarbaddie at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by Guitarbaddie

Why would the OD808 be worth the extra cost then?

"A big selling point to the OD808 is its inclusion of the famous JRC4558D chip, the chip used in the original 808 designs. In comparison, the TS-9 reissue incorporates a chip made by Toshiba that hinders the smoothness of its own tone. "

Maxon was the OEM for the original TS. The TS-9 is actually a copy of a Maxon design.
People pay good money to mod their TS-9 reissues to what is essentially a Maxon OD808.
word of warning: any tube screamer WILL suck your bass. That is all. Could you be specific with the type of music you play?
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG
Quote by ledroses23
word of warning: any tube screamer WILL suck your bass. That is all. Could you be specific with the type of music you play?

Opeth pretty much.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Hmm. Interesting choice of amp for opeth. I'm using a legacy atm, and while I can get some pretty heavy tone out of it, it's not super saturated. Leads sound brilliant though.

The legacy is a pretty compressed amp (sustain for days....) and hasn't reacted super well to the boosts I've thrown at it. I would recommend putting an EQ in the loop to get exactly the tone you want, and then switch that off for solos and use the legacy distort for lead tone.

You're gonna love the amp btw. Super articulate.
Quote by denied
Hmm. Interesting choice of amp for opeth. I'm using a legacy atm, and while I can get some pretty heavy tone out of it, it's not super saturated. Leads sound brilliant though.

The legacy is a pretty compressed amp (sustain for days....) and hasn't reacted super well to the boosts I've thrown at it. I would recommend putting an EQ in the loop to get exactly the tone you want, and then switch that off for solos and use the legacy distort for lead tone.

You're gonna love the amp btw. Super articulate.

Finally someone has something good to say about it haha, and you know what you're talking about too.

Would I use the EQ with the Legacy's distortion for good rhythm tone?

Also, what would you recommend as far as EQs? The Fish n chips is cheap, but Danelectro pedals are a bit on the, plastic side.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
I mean, it wouldn't be my first choice for a solid metal tone, but it is a beautifully responsive amp, and with some tweaking it should be able to do it. I was surprised at how heavy mine got.

Yeah, I would run the legacy on drive, and then EQ it externally for a good rhythm sound. You may have to cut some mids, but do so sparingly.

I went through a bunch of EQ pedals, and I found that most had issues with noise, bypass, and respone. Atm I won't use anything but an MXR, eithe rthe 6 or 10 band. You can pick up a 10 band for $70 on ebay if you put some effort into it, about what I paid for mine.
Quote by denied
I mean, it wouldn't be my first choice for a solid metal tone, but it is a beautifully responsive amp, and with some tweaking it should be able to do it. I was surprised at how heavy mine got.

Yeah, I would run the legacy on drive, and then EQ it externally for a good rhythm sound. You may have to cut some mids, but do so sparingly.

I went through a bunch of EQ pedals, and I found that most had issues with noise, bypass, and respone. Atm I won't use anything but an MXR, eithe rthe 6 or 10 band. You can pick up a 10 band for $70 on ebay if you put some effort into it, about what I paid for mine.

So an EQ externally and in the loop will give me some sick tone?

Btw, thanks to everyone that has helped me.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
An EQ could do what you want. In this case, in addition to doing all the tone sculpting with the pedal and all that, you'd have the volume sliders on the EQ set slightly lower than unity gain (namely, when the EQ is on, things are slightly quieter - compensate for this with your amp's volume knob) so when you turn it off you get a volume boost for solos.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by denied

$70 for new 10 band EQs? Or an older model?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90