K, here's the deal, I got told that i need to try songwrite daily (obviously, so ill learn quicker). I know form 2 years loads of music theory, loads of metal/rock style techniques to use (i would like to try write metal music, similar to lordi at the least).

Ive been on and off songwriting during the last year or so, and only recently, have i tried to regualrly try writing. My problem is, I dont know how to get past the first agonising song!

I love playing guitar. i just love playing random metal rhythms and palying stuff outta scales etc. I play on my own, and love the groove i get into. The second i open up guitar pro to start writing, no matter how much i try, i never get anything i like, and i end up hating it for a second. The next day, the cycle strarts agian.

Im worried that ill never progress, and its horrible. Someone, please help me here
I find guitar pro is really irritating, and its quicker to just record each part with a click track.

As for getting past the first song, write a really simple one? It doesnt matter if you keep it or not if it helps you move forwards.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
First thing you gotta do is realize you will always be your own worst critic. Once you realize this you'll internalize that your stuff might not actually sound as bad as you think it is.

Second thing is: just write. Doesn't matter how bad it is. Just do it. If it is bad, save it. Don't throw it away. If you throw it away it's gone for good. If you save it you might like it a year down the line or figure out something to do with it later. This has happened with me more than once.

Third thing: after you have something down... show people and get crits. No better way to get better than to have people tell you what's wrong with it and help you fix it.
Well you can't force it. In my opinion, you can't just sit down and say "let's write a song today!"

May I ask how you go about songwriting when you do try? Do you just open up GP and hope something comes? If so, you're not doing it right.

You said you like coming up with little riffs and scale runs. This is a good step. Say you write a riff you like. Loop it for a few bars. Add a bass track, maybe a drum track, and even vocals. Voila you have a song!

Now that's oversimplified of course, but my point is that inspiration often comes from those neat little licks you come up with.

The guys above me have really good advice too
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
get a peace of paper

while playing wrote down what
you think is cool
even when you think it sux don't trow it
away , leave it for a weak and then
go back and check it out again
if you still think it sux ask a friend
or post it here on UG

the thing to achive good writing skills is
to practice and then practice some more

and don't try to whrite a whole song on once
but build it in parts like chorus - verse - intro and so on
Quote by dragozan

I love playing guitar. i just love playing random metal rhythms and palying stuff outta scales etc. I play on my own, and love the groove i get into. The second i open up guitar pro to start writing, no matter how much i try, i never get anything i like, and i end up hating it for a second. The next day, the cycle strarts agian.

Im worried that ill never progress, and its horrible. Someone, please help me here

Don't try so hard. You should enjoy the process of writing.

You have to want to do it. For artistic reasons..... not to fulfill a quota.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 13, 2010,
My composition teacher once told me that 90% of everything anyone writes is crap. But you have to write that 90% so you can get the the 10% thats gold.

Also, whenever I think one of my compositions is lame, I just remind myself that people like Justin Bieber are out there making millions. Im not just taking a cheap shot either, thats honestly what I tell myself
write something and then pass it to guitar pro, dont go to guitar pro and expect something to come

start by writting simple pieces