If you listen to the mp3's on my profile (excluding the terminator remix), they we're all recording with a singstar USB mic in front of my amp and recorded with reaper.

My question is, which of these would give me the best recording quality:

1. The way posted above
2. An SM57 into a cheap usb mixer (possibly a behringer) into reaper.
3. My guitar plugged into a DI box, plugged into the line in on my laptop into Peavey Revalver (my soundcard isn't the best).
4. Buy two 1/4" to 1/8" converter and run the aux out of my amp into the line in on my laptop into Reaper.

or

5. An SM57 mic with the x2u XLR-USB digital converter into reaper

I appreciate any feedback.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by theepiczebra
Could you not buy a proper interface with any of this money?

Interface as in recording program? I don't think a top notch program would make a difference if I use a singstar mic
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
What is your budget?
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Quote by ~Shred Hero~
Interface as in recording program? I don't think a top notch program would make a difference if I use a singstar mic

Not as in recording program, an interface is something that lets you interact, in or out, with your computer, Ie a screen let's you see it, in this case, I'm talking about an audio interface, this is a small box that you plug in via USB or firewire, and it allows you to record. Technically the singstar mic USB thing is an interface, it's just not very good. I recomend having a look at line 6's pod studio line, I've never used one, but everyone here seems to like them. It also comes with an amp sim program with it, so you can plug your guitar in and record
I'm ordering a PreSonus Firestudio Project tomorrow.

I've heard good things, but if all you want to do is record guitar, I think the M-Audio Fast Track or Fast Track Pro would be perfect. You connect it into your USB and plug your mic into the preamp.

I've heard USB interfaces get a little laggy when using multiple tracks, but this ofcourse won't occur to you.