Page 1 of 2
I let my friend barrow my Rig for an out of town show. I didn't get my stuff back for two days and when I went to pick it up my guitar ( Fender Strat MIM) it was just sitting in his unlocked car, that wasn't even parked in the shade(It's been 90-110 Degrees). My guitar just sat in the hot ass sun for probably two days. On the freeway one of our big muffs that was left on top of the car flew off and was shattered to pieces.

Pretty much I got dicked hard and all my shits ****ed up! I'm pretty sure the neck is warped on my strat, please , what can I do!? The E string looks so high compared to the rest of the strings!
tune up and play the guitar.

listen for fret buzz that transmits thru the amp.

check playability, and that the bridge is level.

if you need to adjust the action of any of the strings, make the bridge balanced or check the neck relief, all that info is answered in the set up thread.

first post has pics.

just click green link in my sig.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
kick his ass and ask for a couple hundred bucks
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
I'm just not an asshole, I have a hard time saying no. I figured I'd help out another local band.
Don't lend your stuff to folk who don't respect it or won't look after it. It would take a hell of a lot for me to lend my rig to someone, friend or not.
I would never lend anything even a single distortion pedal to anyone
Make your "friend" pay for it
Take it to a shop to get it checked and make your 'friend pay for it'

A piece of advise never ever lend your gear to anyone and if you do make sure you have somthing of equal value from them.
He is replacing the muff as far as I know, but they are trying to tell me its just the action. I know its not because I had it set low
Quote by acidreflex
I'm just not an asshole, I have a hard time saying no. I figured I'd help out another local band.

Dude, Do you have a Girlfriend or a Wife I can borrow ?
dngrsdave

Heavy Metal Thunder
i know it doesnt help, but at least it was MIA strat.

yeah check it. its not warped just cause it was in the heat. thats a possible cause, not a certainty.
Quote by acidreflex
He is replacing the muff as far as I know, but they are trying to tell me its just the action. I know its not because I had it set low

Well maybe they dicked around with the bridge? Try an adjust it back before you go trying to correct neck warp or anything.
SMILE!
Quote by dngrsdave

You're an idiot.

It's good that he's replacing the big muff. I think with the guitar, he might not feel that it's much of a problem, but I think if you talk to him about it, and tell him how the neck is warped, he might compensate you in a way (pay for a setup?). But you should really bring it to a store, describe the situation the guitar was in, and have them take a look at it.
Quote by dngrsdave

Not to borrow. Trade? I'll take Nice les Paul or a 61 Fender Duo-sonic
That's the most noobish childish thing to whine about

Like omg i lend my friend's my video games and dvd movies then he scratches them up and they don't work no more boo hoo.

hmm sounds like a 500.00 dollar lesson or so

btw i know its a hard lesson but its one at that. My example is because when i worked construction i let a guy borrow my PS2 games and his kids would scratch them up.

So really you have to listen to everyone if you going to do that take collateral and stop being so naive about having to be a nice guy. Because that's is exactly what you get for being a nice guy. Me personally i no longer borrow stuff to friends nor would i even let my significant other relatives even borrow stuff. ( not that i have a significant other just a example. Anyway good luck with your gear.
Last edited by needler420 at Jul 13, 2010,
If the guitar was left in a hot car for two days there's no denying there will be problems. Take it in to a shop and ask them to adjust the neck straight if possible then ask them to see if all the frets are level with one another. If they're not then find out how much it'll cost to get them fixed (Or how much it'll cost to get a refret) And then ask your friend for that money too.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
btw stead of making a new thread for bs I'm hi-jack the topic for a second.

What are ways that can warp a neck besides the basic excessive heat or water?
Can simply leaning the neck against a wall warp it? Not using a case or stand
The awesome part is now when someone asks, you can always say "Sorry, dude. I lent my shit out before, and I got totally screwed."
Helping someone is not a bad thing, the question is does´nt this guitarist have any gear of his own and if so you should claim it untill you get yours repaired or replaced.
Quote by sstony
Helping someone is not a bad thing, the question is does´nt this guitarist have any gear of his own and if so you should claim it untill you get yours repaired or replaced.

I don't think his friend just having gear will do anything he has to be willing to compensate him. I like how you say claim it. He has to be willing to give it up lmao
your one of those naive people that's never had their CC stolen before lol.

Also I'm just saying this because for TC to make a thread about it sounds like his friend is screwing him sorta. I think he did mention that something was being replaced though. Bottom line though its really about the morals of your friends and i guess you could say there $$ situation.
Last edited by needler420 at Jul 13, 2010,
Bad News: He ****ed up your shit. Get that Big Muff replaced, and try to get the guitar set up
Good News: Lesson learned
Next time, either demand collateral, or turn people down
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
or, you know, set up the guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by needler420

Excessive heat causes glues to heat up and loose their grip. Since fretboards are glued on (Along with some frets) I think you can guess the rest.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by needler420

a "warped neck" is just a neck that needs a simple adjustment.

all guitars are "living things" and need adjustments from time to time.

leaning guitars, down tuning guitars, changing string gauge, temp changes,
and regular use, all effect the guitar's set up.

how much it effects the guitar depends on the guitar and the extreme condition.

setting up, maintenance, is a part of playing guitar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

What a f#####g pleb you're 'friend' is. Personally i'd be tempted to burn his house down (with him in it? or would that stop him learning his lesson?), but this particular situation justifies why I never lend my gear to people.

You're friend is bang out of order, you've lent him your gear in good faith and from the sounds of it he's taken absolutely no effort to even take care of it! You need to get him to stump up for any professional inspection and repair work you get done, and most of all learn from this incident, certain people aren't to be trusted, your friend is one of them!

One thing that just sprung to mind.....he doesn't work with children does he? lol
I give shit away once inawhile, but if i plan on keeping it for awhile it stays where i can see it.

"Sorry, i'm not going to lend this to you. If something happens to it, you're gonna pay for it. and i'm too good of a friend to take $500 from you."
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
i find it hard to believe that leaving a guitar in a hot car can cause any lasting damage. sure the metal parts will expand more than wood and plastic but everything should return back to it's original state at normal temperature.

having said that, i aint gonna put it to the test with my strat............
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by dngrsdave

...someone fell out of the pit I see.
Quote by acidreflex

It should be understood that if you break someones gear you owe them. Prove to the guy its messed up and make him pay for it. If you look down the neck and can clearly see that the neck is twisted, its warped. Doubt 2 days in a car are going to do that though.

It may not even be warped. When I got my les paul studio the E string was real high up. The guy said he played in like drop c or something. He may have set the guitar up to his liking who knows.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Jul 14, 2010,
I'll never let someone borrow my stuff, UNLESS say It's a friend just having a play in my own room, NEVER let it out of my sight, I paid hard earned money for my shit.

Not only that BUT I HATE people who will adjust guitars that ain't there, one of my friends will just come around and tune my guitar to Drop D all the fsking time, I don't mind now but because i play drop d stuff, but when i didn't know any drop D stuff used to shit me.

The other thing is he seems to have this warped sense of guitar playing, both my guitars are in full step down / drop c now, and he will continue to whinge that nobody plays in either of those tunings,

I'll play something 100% correct and he will ALWAYS be like, Dude you missed a note, then he plays the same thing, and plays it the exact same how i do... i just stand there going... wtf?

Of course you have all right to try get your friend to pay for the damage, if he refuses, i say find a new friend.
I agree with the previous poster. I would demand money from your friend. He is the one responsible for damaging your guitar and he should pay for what he did.

ron666
Quote by jj1565
a "warped neck" is just a neck that needs a simple adjustment.

all guitars are "living things" and need adjustments from time to time.

leaning guitars, down tuning guitars, changing string gauge, temp changes,
and regular use, all effect the guitar's set up.

how much it effects the guitar depends on the guitar and the extreme condition.

setting up, maintenance, is a part of playing guitar.

Nah, warped refers to twisting, not bowing.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Nah, warped refers to twisting, not bowing.

i kinda wouldn't say anything against jj, cause... yeah.

what jj says is 99.999% correct. and that .001% is almost never.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
i kinda wouldn't say anything against jj, cause... yeah.

what jj says is 99.999% correct. and that .001% is almost never.

Well, warped=twisted, in most cases. Bowed = bowed.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Well, warped=twisted, in most cases. Bowed = bowed.

But warped has become synonymous with saying that your neck isn't in the correct shape anymore.

That was horrible wording...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
But warped has become synonymous with saying that your neck isn't in the correct shape anymore.

aaron, you should go back to plum text... just my opinion.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by randomhero93
aaron, you should go back to plum text... just my opinion.

Really??Well that's the first time I've heard that...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29

Yeah, it has, but that's sadly not the real case.

And why'd ya change? I liked plum!
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Page 1 of 2