guys, got a used express however unable to do metal with it, tried the onboard crunch as well as burned mode, seems hard to dial in the tone im after (metallica/alter bridge/john petrucci), i knw that its not really an amp for metal useage however i got this due to its cheap price (faulty tube therefore got it cheap), got it retube now working OK, however problem with the tone.

Question: how can i get chugga chugga rhythm metal tone out of it? tried paired it with el cheapo bad monkey (MUDDY), with used ltd EMG equipped P/U.

wondering whether i need further pedal such as tubescreamer o distortion pedal? is it dumb to get a distortion pedal with used with MESA AMP?

thx in advance and cheers guys..
hi there, its almost crunch /rock dark sounding instead of recto's modern metal high gain type... maybe i need a pedal for this.. now doing research whether a OD tubescreamer or distottion pedal, such as metalzone,mxr fullbore, ibanez tubescreamer(which type)...?
I have one of these amps, the 50 watt version. I played the 25 watt one before I bought mine, and it sounded very different, different powertubes, should still be able to do metal though.

Mine can definatly do chugga chugga tones, do you have the countour turned on?

Not being rude, but it could be something simple like you're not palm muting properly.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
The 25 has EL84s, the 50 has 6L6s, if TS has the 25, that could be the problem. But you should still be able to get a half decent metal tone out of it.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
dude, i've got the 5:50 too. from my experience, you can get pretty good chuggy stuff from it, if its on the Burn channel, and you've got the contour turned on. other pedals might help, but the amp itself should get it pretty well
yeah, i've got gear too...
squier strat
squier tele
Ibanez rg4ex
Boss DS-1
Morely Bad Horsie Wah
Digitech Hot Head
Boss GE-7
Zoom G1X
Mesa Boogie 5:50 Express
Vox AD50vt
Quote by ripbarney12
dude, i've got the 5:50 too. from my experience, you can get pretty good chuggy stuff from it, if its on the Burn channel, and you've got the contour turned on. other pedals might help, but the amp itself should get it pretty well

Yep, exactly, 50 watts mode, burn channel, contour on, eq it well, turn your pickup volume up. Easily be able to do the chugga stuff.

PS: +1 for Coheed
thx all for the quick response,im having the 5:25 model, gues i'll have to EQ it right, and yes i have the contour knob on and on to upmost right turned(5:00 o'clock).

anyone with 5:25 has the settings as reference, im trying the suggestesd one from MEsa just not doing as well

cheers...
I see, you're not going to get it sound like a Rectifier or anything then with the EL84s, you should be able to get a decent tone somwhere near what you want though, a boost might help you. EL34s can have more clarity between notes sometimes, but you won't get that same liquidy smooth distortion that you get with 6L6s.