I have recently within the last two weeks have received my ESP SV that i bought that has two emg 81 pickups on neck and bridge and now that i have finally gotten that im in desperate need for a new amp but really do not know a whole lot about amps i had a line 6 spider III 15 watt amp that i sold, now im resorting to my 15watt fender amp that came with an old squire i had which is a sad combo but is holding me over.... I'm into music such as Children of Bodom(mostly looking for an amp to get me a similar sound to their style like alexi's) and lamb of god. Having a tone that sounds great for melodic stuff is a must and gives a sharp tone to it. Will i be needing to replace my pickups in order to have a better sound or just an amp? i can go to my local music store and try out some amps but i don't really understand how to set them up for the tone im looking for and i don't know how the cabinet and pre tube amp and all that stuff works so any links to explanations on picking amps or how they work would be nice to so i know information and im not just buying an amp because people recommend it.

btw thanks in advance! I live in Canada British Columbia, my price range is around $1000 for now or i can wait longer (as i have a job and dont really pay living costs) so i could save up
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
That is a pretty healthy budget. Here is some advice.

Read the Stickies on how to chose amps as a start. For COB and LOG you will want to focus on a metal amp vs a blues amp. Because most of the tone will be coming from the preamp section wattage should not be an issue (ie - a 120w amp should not scare you). Are you anywhere near the Vancouver, Victoria, Seattle area? I checked the Vancouver craigslist but didn't see much that jumped out at me. There was a Mesa Dual Rec and an Engl Savage but those were out of your price range.

Also, hang out here for a bit and read some of the threads that other people have started on 'what amp?'. There are tons of them.

Also, because you are not sure yet what you want I would not invest a bunch of money in an amp now until you get a better feel for what you like and have saved up more. Go to stores and play as many amps as you can with your guitar. Also listen to clips of amps at netmusicians.org.

If I were you I would get a Peavey 6505+112 combo. It is 60 watts and $600 here in the US. It will do what you want. As far as pickups go, don't do anything there just yet. Personally I prefer passive pups but settle in with your amp first before you start making changes to your guitar.

TL;DR - 6505+112 combo
Well, if you wanted to sound a LOT like alexi, then you would start out with

this.

And then some power amp that I can't remember the name of. However, I would just check out a peavey 6505+ or something. To get a more lamb of god ish sort of tone, go for a Mesa Boogie Mark series amp.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
It really depends whose tone you want more. Alexis uses marshalls, and both willie and mark uses mesa mark iv If you save up more you can go for a mark iv combo for around 1400 cnd, i also live in bc and there is a jcm 800 combo which is similar to the model that alexi uses on craiglist for 850.

Also pickups are personal preference, if you are currently saving for an amp, id say pickups can wait because the amp will shape your tone more than the pups.
Quote by sirlaser
It really depends whose tone you want more. Alexis uses marshalls, and both willie and mark uses mesa mark iv If you save up more you can go for a mark iv combo for around 1400 cnd, i also live in bc and there is a jcm 800 combo which is similar to the model that alexi uses on craiglist for 850.

Also pickups are personal preference, if you are currently saving for an amp, id say pickups can wait because the amp will shape your tone more than the pups.

This man also has a point. Alexi has a Britished voiced tone, while Mark and Willie have a much more American voiced tone
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
save up for a mesa boogie road king. progressive linkage will give you 4 6l6's and 2 el34's so you cant get all the tones.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by simpleben09
Well, if you wanted to sound a LOT like alexi, then you would start out with

this.

And then some power amp that I can't remember the name of. However, I would just check out a peavey 6505+ or something. To get a more lamb of god ish sort of tone, go for a Mesa Boogie Mark series amp.

Its a VHT power amp

He has used Engl's too, a Savage on Sinergy's Beware the Heavens. In an EMG tv video he used an SE and had a really good tone. I don't know how the SE compares in voicing to Engl's amps in your price range(power/fireball) tho.
Gear:
Ernie Ball MusicMan JP7
Schecter Hellraiser 006
Mesa Boogie Road King s.2
Mesa Boogie 4x12 Recto cab

Ibanez Keeley TS-9
TC Electronics G-Force
Amp Gizmo
Voodoo Labs GCX
Voodoo Labs Ground Control Pro
One tip for LOG and COB is, MIDS and lots of them.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
wow thank you man you have been a real big help! im deciding between the peavey6505 and the marshall jcm 800 as im looking for more of alexi's sound more then mark or willies, i have no idea on this amp stuff still but im in desperate need for an amp, ill go to a music store and ask for advice there on understanding how it all works or something should i buy effects pedals as well or pods?
"
Every band that is favored in the genre sells-out and commercializes... That's just the way it is :/"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321
I just rented the marshall jcm 900 100watt high gain dual reverb head with a marshall cabinet for one month! it cost like almost $200 bucks, apparently it can do everything the jcm 800 can do and more! but to buy this sucker brand new wow that would be alot of cash lol so do you guys think i could get an alexi tone out of this? what should i put my knobs too? ex. middle, gain, treble, bass, presence and that stuff should i get any pedals like a wah pedal or anything, any info on how to work with this head im plugging it into my ESP SV btw for guitar.
"

ESP SV standard
Ibanez RG7321