I'm pretty happy with the general tone I'm getting for Muse stuff - plenty of bite for heavier riffs like Stockholm Syndrome by running my TS-7 into my Toadworks fuzz. However, I've never been able to get the insane feedback type sounds that Bellamy manages, such as the Plug in Baby intro.

Is there some magical trick to getting this level of feedback? I imagine it would help if I had a sustainer in my guitar (which is a plan for when I get some money together), but what can I do in the meantime? I will say that it is easier to get some feedback using my RG than my SZR (both stock pups), but it still doesn't come close to insane levels.

Thanks.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
You need your amp turned up very loud to get that amount of feedback.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
You need to be loud, BUT alot of pick ups react differently to feedback so I would search around
Gear
Ibanez RG350EX
Encore E9
BB Blaster

I like Llamas
Its called a zvex fuzz factory, he messes with the knobs for the intro. I've been looking too for his tone for that song.
I wondered whether he was messing with the Fuzz Factory knobs in the intro, but watching the feedback he's getting on the HAARP DVD he's not using any guitars with a fuzz factory build in, although he might well have a tech doing it.

I'm playing fairly quiet to be honest, but with a fair bit of gain going into it - might have to get some earplugs and turn it up a bit. I can get some with my RG, but my SZR is still struggling. I think hotter pickups might help too.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Yeah, if you're playing at all quietly, you're not going to get feedback anywhere near like that.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Fair enough - perhaps I'll have to get a Fuzz Factory for the floor and another to build into my guitar as well - that would be good fun.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
yeah im pretty sure hes using a fuzz factory, or his tech as you stated. Hes obviously playing VERY loud too, which helps. It's not a plug in baby sound, but on the Resistance tour thats going on now, he brings a Dickinson MKI or MKII little aluminum combo to get some onstage feedback, and he also uses it as a spotlight since it reflects light well

Standing close to a loud amp + fuzz factory should do it.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
It's not the fuzz pedal that's giving the feedback, you just need the volume and gain turned up and you need to stand near the amp.

I think building a Fuzz Factory into your guitar is very tacky, it would be cool if you thought of it yourself, but it just makes people look like fanboys now, just my opinion ofcourse.
I've seen other people attach a fuzz factory to their guitar strap or have a clip assembly to a belt loop so you can mess with the knobs and not route out a guitar to put the pedal in. I'm imagining that either a tech is altering the knobs (like during starlight at the abbey road studio video), or he used his x-y control pad or a midi strip (not sure which guitar he used, but those could work as controllers).
Quote by RocknRory
Standing close to a loud amp + fuzz factory should do it.

be careful doing that...haha
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by FuzzLove
I think building a Fuzz Factory into your guitar is very tacky, it would be cool if you thought of it yourself, but it just makes people look like fanboys now, just my opinion ofcourse.

It is a bit, but would still be good fun. I'm pretty sure he doesn't use the Kaoss Pad as the FF isn't midi controllable (unless he's modded it), although I guess he could possibly alter a compressor or similar. Fuzz Factory on the strap sounds amusing though - possibly not the coolest look though.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
Just glue it on the front of your guitar
Quote by FuzzLove
Just glue it on the front of your guitar

'Cos that would look good

I might get myself a Fuzz Factory anyway and keep the Toadworks for lower fuzz stuff (Uprising etc.) - played around some more with my RG, cranked a little extra gain on and turned the volume up a little and got some fairly good feedback going, although part of that was an artificial harmonic on the high e about the 15th fret. I think better pups would help too - on both of these guitars I find it nearly impossible to hit pinch harmonics, although on my Explorer with EMGs they're easy as pie.
Quote by Kensai

Quote by Kensai
The feedback is a mix of normal (loud) feedback and the oscillation of his Fuzz Factory.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page