I am looking for some kind of book that will help me become a better writer in general... Something that describes metaphors and figures of speech in great detail, because I can't seem to get a grasp on them. I bought a few books on songwriting, but they weren't exactly what I was looking for. I need something that specifically caters to writing. Any help would be greatly appreciated =)
The Scarlet Letter. Admittedly it was a beating, but then again, once swallowed it tells a good story. Plus Nathaniel Hawthorne uses metaphors and upper-end vocab to the MAX, even more than Tolkien. Which reminds me, if you've only seen the Lord of the Rings movies but haven't read the books, it's worth your while to read them. Those, I think, might help the most, apart from reading different poetry here and there.
Quote by Jackal58
I eat dead meat all the time. You don't have to chase it around your plate and it doesn't try to peck your eyes out.

It Happens.

My Gear:

-Custom Fender MIM Black Strat
-Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb
-Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Those all sound like great suggestions. The penguin reference collection actually sounds like the best bet for me, but I may end up getting all of the suggested books. Lol, unfortunately my local chapters doesn't stock any of them >.< but oh well. I'm sure I can find them somewhere. Thanks for the suggestions, and if you think of anymore, I'll keep an open mind ^^