I'm wanting to learn an audio programming language and I'm curious how useful SuperCollider is. I mean, I want to learn it pretty thoroughly and I want to know if it's worth my time. Is it pretty mainstream as far as audio programming goes? Will it be around a while? Is there a better alternative? (like just learning C?) I mostly would like to draw on the wealth of knowledge of UG users since a lot of you are well versed in areas like this. Any suggestions?
you looking to do this for shits n giggles or do you wanna write the software professionally? what do you know about programming? what do you know about computer and audio limitations?Most programming languages have some libraries for audio... so I wouldn't necessarily say one is better than the other for any nonspecific tasks. A lot of programs these days are written in a multitude of languages because each have their stronger points. If you want to go the route of write straight code -- look into the .NET framework.

I'd also contact someone in 'the biz' or a forum not full of teenaged metal heads who spend their days trolling and wanking to 4chan...
Pedal Board(s)

GAS list:
- Fender Jazzmaster
- Supa Trem
- 2x12 cab
- Mesa Lone Star
- ondes martenot
I know a lot about programming, I've just never done audio stuff. And I'm wanting to design a project that has potential marketability. Mostly, I wanna do it for fun but I'm serious about it, so I'm willing to take the time to learn whatever I need. I saw supercollider has a 14 week tutorial and I figure that's where I wanna start.

Also, this project will have to be able to interface with external hardware too, is that possible in SC?

If you even have to ask this question, it's too advanced for you.

I got big dreams and I gotta start somewhere dude. Live and let live.
Quote by flashbandit
I know a lot about programming, I've just never done audio stuff. And I'm wanting to design a project that has potential marketability. Mostly, I wanna do it for fun but I'm serious about it, so I'm willing to take the time to learn whatever I need. I saw supercollider has a 14 week tutorial and I figure that's where I wanna start.

Also, this project will have to be able to interface with external hardware too, is that possible in SC?

I got big dreams and I gotta start somewhere dude. Live and let live.

I just had a look at this SuperCollider thing and it doesn't look like it's a programming language in the usual sense, more like a way of generating sounds.

you say you know a lot about programming, are you familiar with C++? or any of the C family? can you program basic applications already or are you really just starting out from scratch?

are you specifically wanting to make a VST plugin? or a piece of software that could be used to create music?
I've never used C, but I've used a lot of various similar languages. I'm totally cool learning something new, and the way i understood it SuperCollider is kind of a big deal in the audio programming realm, and from the small amount of research I've done so far it looks like you can even do GUIs and stuff in SuperCollider. That may not be the case though.

I've also heard mention of an audio language called "Chuck", does anyone know much about that?

Could I generate tones and envelope filters etc. in C?

And I want to build a fully functional program that can be used to create music. I totally expect this project to take a lot of time, and eventually money (when I move beyond a prototype), so that's not an issue.

Thanks for the positive feedback so far!
VST plugins are done in C++, Steinberg give out a SDK for them, if that helps.

I have to say I'm finding it difficult to get started with it though. I've been doing some C/C++ at uni the last two years, but I really don't know where to start with this. Any advice would be appreciated
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.