Hey guys, looking to get into bass on the cheap and I was wondering what you think the best bass guitar and amp would be?
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier

Jackson DKMG

Hot Rodded Telecaster

"of course he`s egotistical we`re all egotistical if we weren`t we`d be bassists."

Alter Bridge Pearl Jam Foo Fighters 3 Doors Down
If I had to start all over, I'd go with this Epiphone Thunderbird starter pack for $400.
http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Thunderbird-IV-All-Access-Bass-Pack?sku=515767

But there's also good Ibanez packs and Squire packs that are around the $200 or $300 dollar mark.
Quote by terryguitar
GROW UP WE DONT NEED 2 CHEAT WHEN OUR KIDS ARE BEAUTIFUL

Quote by blynd_snyper
Ummm, petrol? Nip down to your local petrol station, buy a litre of the stuff and soak your balls in it, light them up and start playing with them.
I would go for a nicer squier pack than the thunderbird - they neck dive horribly, don't have that nice of a tone and they're damn heavy.

Look for a used Vintage Modified P-bass or something - it's a lot better for less money.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

The FAQ would be a good place to start.

I'd recommend an Ibanez GSR200, a Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz, a Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz, a Peavey Millennium BXP, or a Yamaha RBX for a starter bass.

As for an amp I'd say look around for a Kustom KBA, or go with a Peavey MAX or an Acoustic B20
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I was just about to post a thread about this sort of thing. My friend is interested in picking up bass and asked me to take her out to the music store next weekend to have a look at some of the cheaper used offerings.
I don't really know much of anything about starter basses except for the ones suggested in the FAQ and I know even less about starter amps. But I'm a ***** for peavey when it comes to guitar amplifiers so I was going to suggest her a used MAX 112 for an amp and a squier affinity P Bass. Would that be an adequate setup for a complete beginner?
If it were me looking to make a transition into bass I'd probably invest a lot more into it but I can't really suggest her to spend more than like 250 on a complete setup if it's just a passing fancy.
an SX + whatever cheap combo you can get off craigslist for $50 or less.

/thread
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
Quote by Tostitos
The FAQ would be a good place to start.

I'd recommend an Ibanez GSR200, a Squier Vintage Modified Precision or Jazz, a Squier Classic Vibe Precision or Jazz, a Peavey Millennium BXP, or a Yamaha RBX for a starter bass.

As for an amp I'd say look around for a Kustom KBA, or go with a Peavey MAX or an Acoustic B20

this man speaks the truth.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Quote by The_Casinator
Nothing is impossible if you're on acid!

Quote by Holy Katana
What if the NES breaks? WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?
+1 on the Peavey, not to be biased or anything, but I love my starter Peavey to death. Its a different model now, but I've never met anything Peavey I haven't liked.
I pride myself on my humility.
I'd advise you to forget about starter packs and look for the best instrument you can find/afford. Success as a beginner depends upon how much practice you put in and loving your bass is a big factor in this. You'll be playing this for at least a couple of years but if your playing takes off the rest of the starter kit will soon be gathering dust. The little practice amps with starter kits won't even allow you to practice with a drummer so youll have to upgrade as soon as you reach this level

Try to find a shop staffed by musicians who can demonstrate the bass if you can.

If you buy a bass from a good shop then you can negotiate a reduction on the extra bits you want and get a better 'package' than one someone else decides you need.

I ended up with a Cort Action Bass and the Peavey practice amp for the same price as a starter pack and both have been good.