So i just bought my Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe at least 15 days ago.. and i've already been thinking about swapping the pickups to EMGs. It currently has a 490R (Neck) and a Burstbucker Pro (Bridge) with coil tap. If i install the EMGs will it disable the coil tap? Or do i have to get EMGs with coil tap because i really like the coil tap feature
You would have to get the EMG 89 and 81TW in order to coil tap them. They will come with entirely new push/pull pots, so you will be good
Last edited by LukeBTH at Jul 13, 2010,
FYI You need new electronics in the guitar if you want EMGs in it. The pickups won't work right with the standard pots.
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by Gargoyle2500
Aren't EMGs single coils? (I'm not too knowledgeable about them) Also you need new electronics in the guitar if you want EMGs in it.

There are EMG single coils and EMG humbuckers.
Don't wanna argue or anything here, but pots cannot be push-pull oO. Push-pull is the principle of class B/AB amps. It simply means only one of the two output transistors/mosfets works at a time. And guitars don't have amplifiers included. Active pick-ups do have a pre-amp tho, so that might have to do with what you're talking about.

Maybe I just misinterprated what you said.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Spike6sic6
Don't wanna argue or anything here, but pots cannot be push-pull oO. Push-pull is the principle of class B/AB amps. It simply means only one of the two output transistors/mosfets works at a time. And guitars don't have amplifiers included. Active pick-ups do have a pre-amp tho, so that might have to do with what you're talking about.

Different context.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers/Push-pull_Pots.html
Quote by SilverRock113
There are EMG single coils and EMG humbuckers.

Alright then, Thanks.

Quote by Spike6sic6

I think you have one thing confused with something else, There are pots that you can push and pull for different effects depending on how they're wired. I have push/pull pots on one of my guitars.

http://www.allparts.com/250K-DPDT-Pot-p/ep-0285-000.htm
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Quote by Ratraisin

Yeah ok that's what I thought . Simply a pot that can be used as a switch.

Sorry about the smart-assing .

EDIT: It is possible for you to do the same using a simple switch, but I don't recommend it if you're not confortable. It would require you adding a switch and a pot or two, which is probly too much work.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Last edited by Spike6sic6 at Jul 13, 2010,
^^The beauty of the P/P pot method is you don't have to drill any extra holes in the guitar to add switches.
Personally I'm not a fan of EMGs and the PUs from Gibson are good pickups. If you swap them out, set them aside for later in case you sell the guitar. It's always good to have the original pieces to restore to original condition.
Moving on.....