Hi guys, I have a few questions. First of all I wanted to know: Does changing your tuning frequently make your strings more likely to break ? My high e string broke on my PRS SE when I was tuning it up back to standard from GGDGBD...

I was kinda suspecting that it had been corded badly because it broke up at the tuning mechanics, which I thought was surprising.
I wonder if the fact that I had tuned to C standard earlier damaged my strings.

By the way, to play Standard, Drop D, GGDGBD, and very occasionally C standard, what do you think is the best gauge ? I currently use 10-46 which seems okay but didn't try C standard with em yet.

Ideally I would have a second guitar to play C standard and Drop D... but I don't so I have to compromise ^^.

edit: I know that when you're tuning up, a string might break, but what's strange is my high e broke while tuning back to e from d, there shouldn't be so much tension isn't it ?
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Last edited by Doogy-Style at Jul 13, 2010,
Well i prefer 11s for D standard and Drop C, 12s C Standard and Drop B, and 13s for B Standard.
I use 11s for B standard, and 10s for everything else.

Friction at the nut when tuning up and down may cause breakage...also there the string is bent at the Machine head would likely cause a weak spot.
Quote by Doogy-Style
First of all I wanted to know: Does changing your tuning frequently make your strings more likely to break ?

Yes. You're fatiguing the steel doing that, so it doesn't matter if the breakage happened during tuning down. It happened to me too a few times.

For the alternative tunings just use this string tension calculator: http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/

Check out your 10-46 set for standard tuning first, then find sets for the other tunings that are the closest in tension to the standard one.
Could someone explain how this calculator works ? I'm not sure I understand it. I saw I can change the scale of my guitar and also the gauge of the strings, but what are the numbers I should pay attention to ?
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
try using 11s anyway. and constant tuning will cause breakage eventually wether tuning up or down.
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
I use Daddario EXP Coated .11s because I have only one good guitar and I go from drop c to standard probably once a week. I have had the same strings for a month and have forcefully tried to break the high e so I can go buy new ones and they refuse to break. Try them I have had good luck with them
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion