finally my RR1 (lightning sky finish) arrived and i cant be happier with it
but i dont like the pickups its comig up with (Seymour Duncan)
they aren't aggressive enough for me
so i thought why not get emgs- since kirk hammet playes them...and im in a thrash metal band playing metallica, slayer, pantera songs
or which other pickups would you suggest?
my amp is an engl fireball
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
what pickups does it have, JB and Jazz?

for me the JB is pretty aggressive, lol.

How not-aggressive-enough are they? I mean, are they nearly there, or nowhere near enough?

what's your budget?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Seymour Duncan® JB TB4 Humbucker and
Seymour Duncan® Jazz SH2N Humbucker
hmm i dont know...they aint bad, but they dont give me a boner when i hear them xD
budget ist around €400
my gear:

I'm not sure how much Bareknuckle Warpigs are, but I've heard good things about them in terms of how heavy they can be.

I'm not a real fan of actives but I'd go with the Blackouts though.
I'd think with a good EQ on the fireball the stock Duncans should be more than alright.
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
Quote by dickeskind
Seymour Duncan® JB TB4 Humbucker and
Seymour Duncan® Jazz SH2N Humbucker
hmm i dont know...they aint bad, but they dont give me a boner when i hear them xD
budget ist around €400

If that's your budget then look at Bareknuckles for sure. Maybe Nailbombs, Miracle Man's (Maybe even a MM/Cold Sweat combo) or Warpigs.

Maybe try looking up advice on how to adjust the polepieces on your JB, I've heard that can help a lot.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
EMG-X's would suit that sort of music. Bareknuckles are tasty - Warpigs would be a lot hotter - 22k compared to 16k for the JB.

On a side note, I know what you mean. I used to have a JB/'59 in my Explorer - it sounded good but there was nothing special about it.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Those are the pickups my DK-2 came with. I swapped the neck with a '59 and it's much nicer. Maybe swap the JB for a Distortion? Can't comment on actives though.
MoOsEkNuCkLe......All my friends yell OI!

Gear:
Jackson Dk2m
Peavey 5150 II
Marshall 1960a
Kramer Focus 1000
Dunlop Crybaby
Hardwire Tuner
Boss NS-2

Red Bear 120 $50/$600
thanks for your responses!
hmm i guess i wont take actives...
i took a look at the bareknucklepickups and they seem perfect!!!
my gear:

you can mail bareknucle pickups and tell them exactly what you want, they will tell you what pups would be best for it
You could also try Bulldog pickups if you're in the UK. They're made by an ex-BKP winder and from what I've heard on another forum they're just as good as Bareknuckles, but only £150 a set rather than £200.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
EMGs will get you a ton of gain, though you'll need to switch the pots etc. too. I haven't tried blackouts yet.

bareknuckles are worth a look, I'm guessing bulldogs are too (I haven't tried them, heard good things). Also look into rockmonkeys (ditto bulldogs), and there used to be a UG discount (Corduroy_EW, i think that's his username, winds them), they have a bunch of high output models.

Only thing I would say about bareknuckles, in my experience (and I would assume a similar thing with BD and RM) is that they're very open-sounding (because of the scatterwinding? not sure). This is great from a tonal and dynamics point of view, but it does have the effect of making them seem like they have less gain and compression than they actually have. On paper, my miracle man should be hotter than my JB, for example, but yet the JB feels hotter as it's much more compressed. I don't know if the ceramic magnet in the MM exacerbates this (perhaps the alnico ones aren't affected as much), and I also don't know if it's only the MM which is affected. I have heard a lot of people saying that bareknuckles are very open-sounding, though.

Worth bearing in mind, in other words.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 13, 2010,
Jb/jazz combo is one of the best pickup sets for thrash, every heard of anthrax? scott ian uses jb in his new signature model, dave mustaine used to use jb/jazz until he got his own signature pickups, btw the lack of agression is probably your amp, spend a lil less and put an ibanez tubescreamer in your line

EDIT: you shouldn't need a tubescreamer or any mods to make your tone agressive with a powerball, eq it well and push the gain a lil bit

also if u wanna sound like kirk Hammett, dont buy emgs buy this:
Eh.
Last edited by Himelnator at Jul 13, 2010,
it wld be a pain in the ass to put actives in anyway, try seymour duncan full shred pups
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
Quote by Himelnator
Jb/jazz combo is one of the best pickup sets for thrash, every heard of anthrax? scott ian uses jb in his new signature model, dave mustaine used to use jb/jazz until he got his own signature pickups, btw the lack of agression is probably your amp, spend a lil less and put an ibanez tubescreamer in your line

EDIT: you shouldn't need a tubescreamer or any mods to make your tone agressive with a powerball, eq it well and push the gain a lil bit

also if u wanna sound like kirk Hammett, dont buy emgs buy this: [snip]

The JB/Jazz combo has been quite popular for thrash but the TS has it, has played it through a good metal amp and it's not giving him the sound he wants. Sounds like he needs a change

And I'm not sure if that wah comment was just a jab at Kirk or not so I wont comment on it
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
tim from bareknuckles told me to take the Painkiller bridge humbucker and Riff Raff neck
humbucker since they're perfect for classic aggressive thrash tones combined with pure cleans from the neck.
my gear:

sounds about right, id still say save the money and get a tubescreamer, but you will be happy with bareknuckes, just ask to keep ur SDs if u change em at a shop, if u do it at home keep em and store em somewhere memorable and safe, in case u dont like ur bare knuckles
Eh.
keep them anyway, if you ever sell the guitar you can put the duncans back in and hang onto the bareknuckles.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Seymour duncans are no no contest for boutique handwound pups like bareknuckes,,I suggest you get them