I was trying this sort of compression technique to hit some high notes thinking "maybe this is head voice?"

"Ah look at all the lonely people" like in Eleanor Rigby, and I did it a bunch, sort of testing it out, I soon realized that it was destroying my voice.

that day I started losing my voice and felt sick/fatigued. I dont know if they are related or not.

But i did end up getting a cold kind of and lost my voice almost completely for about 2-3 days, it's been getting progressively better, and now 9 days in I can sing almost how I used to but not quite. Is that normal for losing your voice or did i really do some damage? like on the high notes i used to hit, not with ease, but more clearly, you can hear that my voice sounds worn out or still like "i'm sick".

You know like i sing some high notes and sound like a woman who smokes six packs a day. like that.

oh and my falsetto is worse than it's ever been.

is it just because my technique is bad and its really showing now because my voice is damaged/had a cold? (i'm taking vocal lessons, always have had trouble with head voice) or is my voice probably just messed up from being sick? or did i really damage it? if so will it heal and be back to normal? i mean 9 days...kind of scary i think.

thanks
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
Last edited by Three11Rules at Jul 13, 2010,
That happend to me once... My voice was pretty F:ed up for like 2 weeks. All you can do is just to relax and shizzle. + Drink a lot of tea.
By compression technique what in hells name are you talking about? There is no such thing as human compression by just using your vocal chords if I'm correct?

I'm thinking you just had unlucky timing with a cold. What were you doing? Theres no way clean singing done however badly could hurt you that much.

If damaged your voice enough to totally lose your voice you'd be doing some major screaming extremely wrong. Not trying to use your head voice.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Quote by Ghast
By compression technique what in hells name are you talking about? There is no such thing as human compression by just using your vocal chords if I'm correct?

I'm thinking you just had unlucky timing with a cold. What were you doing? Theres no way clean singing done however badly could hurt you that much.

If damaged your voice enough to totally lose your voice you'd be doing some major screaming extremely wrong. Not trying to use your head voice.

yep. this makes sense.
Quote by Ghast

like you know how you can kind of squeeze the air in your throat together so that it makes it really easy to hit high notes but it sounds very "compressed" not like reaching for a note, but you're basically singing from the back of your throat and it's very compressed sounding, i dont know how else to explain it. my vocal coach said it was bad for your chords, and he calls it compression.

he also calls it "squeezing" it's less straining/stretching for the note and more "squeezing", and you have relatively little control over dynamics, its just like a squeeze you can push into so to speak.

you can hear me doing it here, this is about 5 months ago, check out the "Starlight Cover 160"

http://mattblackwell.dmusic.com/

you can especially hear it at the very last "Hoooold" at the end of the song. but it's all throughout this song, anytime you hear me go high pretty much. i dont sing like this anymore though, haha.
My username is old, don't judge me (but old 311 is good)
when i was learning to use falsetto for the 1st time, i lost my voice for like 2 weeks. actually i guess i didnt really lose my voice, i could still talk fairly-normal sounding, but i couldnt sing for crap, and whenever i tried to do anything high pitch (singing or just goofy talking) my voice would totally cut out, and i'd just sound all squeeky.
Quote by Three11Rules
like you know how you can kind of squeeze the air in your throat together so that it makes it really easy to hit high notes but it sounds very "compressed" not like reaching for a note, but you're basically singing from the back of your throat and it's very compressed sounding, i dont know how else to explain it. my vocal coach said it was bad for your chords, and he calls it compression.

he also calls it "squeezing" it's less straining/stretching for the note and more "squeezing", and you have relatively little control over dynamics, its just like a squeeze you can push into so to speak.

you can hear me doing it here, this is about 5 months ago, check out the "Starlight Cover 160"

you can especially hear it at the very last "Hoooold" at the end of the song. but it's all throughout this song, anytime you hear me go high pretty much. i dont sing like this anymore though, haha.

I don't approve of your vocal coach at all. Thats not compression, thats tensing up your throat muscles. In the long wrong that will make it ALOT harder to hit a note then to simply use your diaphragm and reach for the note.

You'll experience alot of random voice cracking, your throat might get sore, and if you push to hard while doing that it WILL wreck your throat (Anytime you distort while doing that, your chords are more or less tearing.)

Your coaches "Compression" technique is the same thing that Kurt Cobain wrecked his throat with. It's extremely bad and tensed singing.

-----------------

How do you lose your voice trying to find falsetto? Most people can do it no problem even if they don't know what they're doing?

-----------------

What you're doing is really bad singing technique. Could you lose your voice from it? I doubt it unless you tried screaming (Thats how you scream from the throat, the wrong way)

Basically when you "stretch" or "strain" for the note it's just as bad as "Squeezing". All of them will cause you to strain and tense up. Honestly squeezing might even be worse, because you'll probably tense up alot worse then stretching or straining.

------------------

What I want you to do, is don't think of your range as high or low, they're just notes. I want you to get really good breath support going (I assume from lessons you know what I'm talking about?) and keep holding it. Now leave your throat as relaxed as possible; Don't do anything with it.

Try to sing a high note SQUEEZING YOUR DIAPHRAGM, but leaving your throat completely relaxed. If you feel yourself tensing up, stop, untense, and try it until you can do it without tensing.

That is the basis of good singing. If your vocal coach hasn't taught you that, dump him and find a new one.
Quote by Venice King
Beethoven ****ed Jimi Hendrix and I was born. I make my own music.
Last edited by Ghast at Jul 14, 2010,
DO NOT SQUEEZE the diaphragm!!!

That leads to "pushing" the note, which is bad for your voice.

Check out the bottom section of this page where it talks about the "hold of the breath."
http://thebelcantotechnique.now-here-this.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=35

Alternately, check out the very bottom of this page here:
http://brianvollmer.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:inhalation&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

Think of the air in your lungs being the foundation for your voice. Does it make sense for your foundation to be squeezed and pushed?

When we talk about "supporting" the voice, we want to put it on a strong foundation. Maintaining a cushion of air within the lungs will provide that foundation.

By learning to control the rate at which air comes out of the lungs, we keep that foundation as strong as possible for as long as possible.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Three11Rules

You have a good voice, but that sounded bad. Your voice was quivering the entire song!

I write songs.
YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO THEM
Currently Requiring Crits:
none
You shouldn't be squeezing anything. Honestly, all these things are tricks to get you to sing higher. That's dumb. You can learn to sing very high, but you have to be willing to get used to sounding like shit for a little while. You just need to relax. The more things you are thinking about while singing, the more you will **** up. As long as you are breathing from your belly (not anatomically speaking, it's just a concept) and projecting out your mask (this is a beginner's tip for good resonance) you'll be fine. Even if you don't do those things, it's still possible to expand your range and sound okay. Seriously, more important than anything is singing comfortably, and getting comfortable with all the parts of your voice. You'll be able to sing high eventually, you've just got to work with it. Singing is NOT an instant gratification activity.
Quote by Chaingarden
You shouldn't be squeezing anything. Honestly, all these things are tricks to get you to sing higher. That's dumb. You can learn to sing very high, but you have to be willing to get used to sounding like shit for a little while. You just need to relax. The more things you are thinking about while singing, the more you will **** up. As long as you are breathing from your belly (not anatomically speaking, it's just a concept) and projecting out your mask (this is a beginner's tip for good resonance) you'll be fine. Even if you don't do those things, it's still possible to expand your range and sound okay. Seriously, more important than anything is singing comfortably, and getting comfortable with all the parts of your voice. You'll be able to sing high eventually, you've just got to work with it. Singing is NOT an instant gratification activity.

well said..