ok so i am using my tube combo as a pre amp and using the "speaker emulated D.I. out" to run into my audio interface... do i need to keep the speaker in the amp pluged in still? will it hurt the amp to unplug the speaker and use the "speaker emulated D.I. out" only?

i dont want to eff up my amp.
the reason i ask is because if i have the speaker pluged in i hear a clean sound out of my amp when im trying to record with an effect on my computer.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
ok so i am using my tube combo as a pre amp and using the "speaker emulated D.I. out" to run into my audio interface... do i need to keep the speaker in the amp pluged in still? will it hurt the amp to unplug the speaker and use the "speaker emulated D.I. out" only?

i dont want to eff up my amp.
the reason i ask is because if i have the speaker pluged in i hear a clean sound out of my amp when im trying to record with an effect on my computer.

Never run the amp without the load of the cab on. Sometimes the speaker will turn off if you run a cable to the DI out but I've not seen many cabs do that TBH.
Quote by moody07747
Never run the amp without the load of the cab on. Sometimes the speaker will turn off if you run a cable to the DI out but I've not seen many cabs do that TBH.

yeah the speaker dose not turn off, shit.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
I record DI out of my FX loop all the time, it's actually the only way I record, it works fairly well, but it help to have a loud monitor or stereo system to play back while you record, cause you can't unplug the cab, you'll fry the OT if you do.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I record DI out of my FX loop all the time, it's actually the only way I record, it works fairly well, but it help to have a loud monitor or stereo system to play back while you record, cause you can't unplug the cab, you'll fry the OT if you do.

ok i will try that.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
ok i will try that.

If your going to do that, you need to learn about Impulses and things like that, I assume you already do, but you have to apply them in a DAW using a cab sim like LeCab or something, otherwise, you'll get a nasty preamp type sound.
Quote by ethan_hanus
If your going to do that, you need to learn about Impulses and things like that, I assume you already do, but you have to apply them in a DAW using a cab sim like LeCab or something, otherwise, you'll get a nasty preamp type sound.

explain?

yesterday i was messing around, and i used the preamp into my interface, then in my DAW i used guitar rig 4, and took out the preamps and just used the cab i wanted with any mic i wanted and then just use the effects in guitar rig to shape my REAL amps sound. is that right or should i be doing somthing else?
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by the_white_bunny
explain?

yesterday i was messing around, and i used the preamp into my interface, then in my DAW i used guitar rig 4, and took out the preamps and just used the cab i wanted with any mic i wanted and then just use the effects in guitar rig to shape my REAL amps sound. is that right or should i be doing somthing else?

That's one way to do it. The way I go is I go off the preamp on my VK into my soundcard mic in, in Reaper I open the LeCab sim, apply impulses(cabinet and mic sim) to the preamp signal and the post EQ from there.

I just recorded this not even 10 minutes ago using my own method, but with an interface you can get much better than this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8920099/Someday.mp3
if the amp has a headphone out that kills the amp cab you could tru plugging in a jack to that and then also record out the DI out.

IF that doesnt work, look into dummy load boxes so you can run the amp without the cab attached.