Ok, so silly me, I left my guitar in it's case for too long (6 months maybe) and I guess either somebody else or myself didn't properly wipe it down before putting it away because now the strings have rusted a bit and tarnished the frets. This is very upsetting as it is a sexy guitar. I changed the strings yesterday and tried using a little bit of guitar polish, and much as I expected, there was little effect in cleaning the metal frets.

So, obviously I'm out of ideas which is why I have returned to UG after a long hiatus.

What can I use to clean/restore the tarnished frets on my guitar (for cheap, only have about $10)?

Keep in mind, the wood is fine as far as I can tell. Just the metal. And other than looking like sh*t, I'm concerned as to how this might alter the tone of the guitar.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
cover the fretboard with electrical tape, and rub the frets with 000 grade wire wool.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Ok, that sounds pretty solid. Thanks.

Anybody else have ideas?
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Quote by shinhoman
cover the fretboard with electrical tape, and rub the frets with 000 grade wire wool.

x

Exactly this. Masking tape will do, though. Rub the frets across the fretboard (lengthwise on the fret, not lengthwise on the fretboard).