Hi.
Simple question really, why do guitarists in bands use more than one guitar in a set? I watched Muse the other day and Matt Bellamy must have changed guitars about 5 or 6 times in the set?
Thanks a lot.
Jack.
ok...different tunings, some songs use different tunings to achive a sound or style.

backups. if a string snaps, youre ****ed.

different pickups and sounds...this one is debateable, maybe if a guitar had a synth pickup.

also, matt has a Korg Kaoss MIDI on his guitars, so that means he needs more. he also has a fuzz factory built into his guitar, which he would want to se, so thats another guitar needed
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
go see Rush live, Alex used about 8-9 last time I saw them

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
They do it either cause the guitar might go out of tune after a few songs and they don't want to bother tuning it, or a certain guitar is suited better for some songs, or they are more inspired that way, or going for the looks, or simply just because they can.
I bring 2 or 3 guitars to every show I play. Swaping out is way easier than tuning up (I get frustrated easily). Also, having a friend or a tech on the side of the stage to reset your primary guitar allows for a third swap out, no retuning, no time wasted.

The other guitar player in my band has one guitar that he throws and spins (on songs that don't require his tone to be strongest) and one or two that are primary sound guitars.

We also bring an extra head on the road with us. I even carry extra straps and locks. If anything goes wrong, it's just easier to have backups that you practice with and are comfortable with (if you can afford to... we spend every dime on gear and booze).
Matt does it because his guitars have different gadgets in, like a chaos pad and fernandes sustainers etc. Sometimes he uses one guitar in a song, sometimes he uses others.
Hello
different tunings, different pickups, different string gauges, whammy vs no whammy, preferred sounds of wood.

or because they can. the edge. cough.

+1 above. Matt does it because his guitars have all sorts of weird ish in them. like kaos pads, and midi pickups, and whatever else.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last time I watched Muse (Glasto, on TV unfortunately), Matt used his 7 string, his Glitterati Manson, his black Manson and the chrome Bomber with the trem. Those seem to be the ones he uses the most at the moment. The 7 string was only used for Citizen Erased, the Bomber for Knights of Cydonia, the black was tuned to standard and the Glitterati to drop D.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
live, Dave Mustaine changes guitars like every song more recently, although back in the day he only did it once or twice
Most of the time it's just so it can be tuned by a tech while playing a second back up
Quote by output24
Haha, owned!
U win fender.

Quote by wiggy1988
teacher- Some slave owners would fight duels using their slaves
Me- So, sort of like Pokemon with people..Black man, I choose you!
Different tunings, and different sounds from the guitars. Single coils to Humbuckers, different everything!

Plus after 5 songs the guitar will start to go out of tune, so yeah.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I use more than one guitar because a telecaster sounds different to a les paul. VERY different. Anyone can tell the difference. And then there's the 12-string... which has more strings.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
All previously mentioned summed up,
-Different tunings
-Different tones
-Different number of strings
-(In Matt B's case) Usually different in-built effects in each guitar.
-Guitar features (Killswitch, Whammy Bar)
-Switched so a tech can tune the last one
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
It's clearly because every guitar player is like a 5 year old and wants to show off their new purchase to everyone
Quote by BoL7z
It's clearly because every guitar player is like a 5 year old and wants to show off their new purchase to everyone

Or this.
I own an Ibanez J-Custom

I am Guitarnoob_100. Say hey

PSN: Whiski_Guy
Xbox Live: Chris2194

Steam: Galiathslay
Some do it purely for the looks . Billy Gibbons recorded allmost everything on his LP, but live he'll probably play anything that looks cool.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Usually each guitar is tuned differently and has a different set up, but it is needed for the song that the band will be performing next.

ron666
Well, the way I've got my stuff set up, I have my SG in standard, and my ML tuned a 1/2 step down, so for playing stuff where 1/2 step down tuning is needed I switch to my ML. Also, if you're playing a lot, chances are you're gonna get all sweaty, as is your guitar, and you're likely gonna wanna swap it out for a fresh one eventually. Also, for more...varied shows, like my buddy does(he plays everything from Disturbed to Clapton to Irish folk music live), he needs different tones for different things which one of his guitars just can't do(he has a Washburn DD61, a Partscaster and a Renegade Telecaster knockoff), so he swaps when a different tone is needed.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Nah, I prefer to tune lower. My tunings usually go into weird Hebrew symbols.