I'm nearly 16 years old and I'm trying to sing heavy metal/hard rock.

I usually sing in the low baritone range and many people have said that I sound like Juha-Pekka Leppäluoto from Charon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-I8tWtxDlA&feature=watch_response) however I have a vocal range of four octaves but I have trouble actually being able to use a lot of my range, because of an irritating problem I have with my head voice.

Now I realise that this is what it's like for most people but it bothers me.

My head voice sounds very feminime and very light, which I don't like.

Is it possible for me to give my head voice the same rich tone as my chest voice, so for example, Freddie Mercury was a tenor, and he had a rich tone to his voice, could I give my head voice that same tone and power.

I have heard about mixed voice but I haven't got the first clue about it,
I would like to know
If mix voice goes as high as head voice, and how I can access it.

If anyone can help me I really do thank you and I highly appreciate it.

(Also as a note I have never taken vocal lessons as I cannot afford them)
Last edited by NotGreatButITry at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by NotGreatButITry
I'm nearly 16 years old and I'm trying to sing heavy metal/hard rock.

I usually sing in the low baritone range and many people have said that I sound like Juha-Pekka Leppäluoto from Charon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-I8tWtxDlA&feature=watch_response) however I have a vocal range of four octaves but I have trouble actually being able to use a lot of my range, because of an irritating problem I have with my head voice.

Now I realise that this is what it's like for most people but it bothers me.

My head voice sounds very feminime and very light, which I don't like.

Is it possible for me to give my head voice the same rich tone as my chest voice, so for example, Freddie Mercury was a tenor, and he had a rich tone to his voice, could I give my head voice that same tone and power.

I have heard about mixed voice but I haven't got the first clue about it,
I would like to know
If mix voice goes as high as head voice, and how I can access it.

If anyone can help me I really do thank you and I highly appreciate it.

(Also as a note I have never taken vocal lessons as I cannot afford them)

Yes, you can learn to sing like Freddie Mercury. He was not a tenor, he was a baritone; he just pushed his voice much further than his tessitura. I'd get started with some online videos if you don't want to do lessons. Eric Arceneaux is a very good online vocal teacher. Look him up on YouTube. Also, some of the Singing Success videos are helpful.
Quote by Chaingarden
Yes, you can learn to sing like Freddie Mercury. He was not a tenor, he was a baritone; he just pushed his voice much further than his tessitura. I'd get started with some online videos if you don't want to do lessons. Eric Arceneaux is a very good online vocal teacher. Look him up on YouTube. Also, some of the Singing Success videos are helpful.

Freddie was a baritone? That surprises me somewhat,

Also isn't pushing your voice further than your tessitura a bad thing?

And are there any excersizes or techniques I could use to help with making my head voice sound like chest voice and to do with the mix that you or someone else could give me.

Thank you for your help