So, instead of derailing a different thread even further, here's the Marketing Strategies Thread.

Discuss everything that has to do with marketing anything. Be it your own band, be it a business or whatever, let's get some creative juices flowing and make us all richer.

So first topic is, if you own a recording studio, what would be the best way to market it?
How would you go about it, what channels would you use, etc?
So, guys, can anyone motivate me to get a job?

Just kidding, carry on.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
what did the book say?

Quote by Baroque_and_Rol
So, guys, can anyone motivate me to get a job?

Just kidding, carry on.

oh snap

You, sir, win
Just to tell you. Clothaire Rapaille is a huge scam. I had to review Culture Codes in one of my classes in college :p
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
I'll bite.

I'd like to compare two events which I did international promotions for under the UG name, while somebody else handled the direct methods.

In London, last October, we held the London UG gig, and that thing was awesome. I gave us front page coverage, ensured a stuck pit thread that I was constantly pushing to keep active, drew in UG.TV and, through the thread and the help of my friends, we had quite a few people from UG there.

Notable were theguitarist, deliriumbassist, aidy damage, rigiddigits, brianapocalypse, steve_the_plank and more who I don't recall meeting (though theguitarist kept himself annoyingly quiet. Carmel had also left town not long before, which was exceptionally annoying).

I even drew some people in from other London areas via separate contacts, ensured that all performing bands were advertising and pushed the people in charge of the direct approach to get their arse working and hand out fliers thrown together by coreysMonster here.

Then it became clear that somebody was stealing from the company.

No direct marketing had been done at all. I'd created enough of a buzz to be heard by a recognised audience counter of over seventeen million, and the reputation of the company was soaring. DeliriumBassist could likely tell you how the interview I gave afterwards pushed a good bit of attention his way, as did the event itself, but nothing direct had been done.

Due to lack of faith, the company broke up shortly after that. The internet had done it's job, and instead of telling something like three or five hundred people to come to an event, it had made said event a talking point for five months afterwards.

As it was, the event was something of a failure, but people seem to ignore that in favour of the legacy.

TommyFest is coming soon. That will be number two. Fingers crossed it goes well.
Projected advertising figures come to roughly forty-seven million (eight million current, 13% above target).
Quote by JeanMi36
Just to tell you. Clothaire Rapaille is a huge scam. I had to review Culture Codes in one of my classes in college :p

care to elaborate on that a little?
Draw charts. People love charts. And around the chart, draw scantily clad women with gigantic, heaving breasts.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by CoreysMonster
care to elaborate on that a little?

You could read on Clotaire Rapaille in Quebec City, last winter. It got coverage from english media, like the Globe and Mail and The Gazette.

It is worth it :p

Basically, Quebec City's mayor hired him for like 300k $ to find a marketing strategy. But his CV was full of bullcrap.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by JoelTheShredder

Quote by captaincrunk
I'd get the local music stores to advertise for my recording studio. People actually have to be there in the town to use it, so those are the places I'd advertise. And try not to be too cheesy.

well, not necessarily. If you offer services beyond recording (for instance, mixing) you can advertise those to people beyond your own area, expanding your potential market to the entire world.
Though of course, that also holds alot of risks, especially if said people are outside your country, but I know it can be done, as quite a few people do it.
Quote by JeanMi36

Was that your opinion, consensus of the class, teachers opinion, data...?

The book made a lot of sense. I have experimented with some of the ideas with people I know. Seeing how they interpret things - I have the opportunity to as I do graphic design and web design for work. The ideas seem to hold up, especially with people from other countries. Is it the points or the reasoning behind them you're saying?
Quote by Colohue
I'll bite.

I'd like to compare two events which I did international promotions for under the UG name, while somebody else handled the direct methods.

In London, last October, we held the London UG gig, and that thing was awesome. I gave us front page coverage, ensured a stuck pit thread that I was constantly pushing to keep active, drew in UG.TV and, through the thread and the help of my friends, we had quite a few people from UG there.

Notable were theguitarist, deliriumbassist, aidy damage, rigiddigits, brianapocalypse, steve_the_plank and more who I don't recall meeting (though theguitarist kept himself annoyingly quiet. Carmel had also left town not long before, which was exceptionally annoying).

I even drew some people in from other London areas via separate contacts, ensured that all performing bands were advertising and pushed the people in charge of the direct approach to get their arse working and hand out fliers thrown together by coreysMonster here.

No direct marketing had been done at all. I'd created enough of a buzz to be heard by a recognised audience counter of over seventeen million, and the reputation of the company was soaring. DeliriumBassist could likely tell you how the interview I gave afterwards pushed a good bit of attention his way, as did the event itself, but nothing direct had been done.

Due to lack of faith, the company broke up shortly after that. The internet had done it's job, and instead of telling something like three or five hundred people to come to an event, it had made said event a talking point for five months afterwards.

As it was, the event was something of a failure, but people seem to ignore that in favour of the legacy.

TommyFest is coming soon. That will be number two. Fingers crossed it goes well.
Projected advertising figures come to roughly forty-seven million (eight million current, 13% above target).

You did great. Considering the fact that nobody's done the direct mrk job. Good luck for TommyFest!
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by JoelTheShredder

Quote by jfreyvogel

The book made a lot of sense. I have experimented with some of the ideas with people I know. Seeing how they interpret things - I have the opportunity to as I do graphic design and web design for work. The ideas seem to hold up, especially with people from other countries. Is it the points or the reasoning behind them you're saying?

If you get into design, this WILL happen to you. It's inevitable.

Quote by jfreyvogel

He did a bullcrap job for Quebec City. He says he wrote books that became institutions, but overall, his whole CV is filled with fallacies.

He also gave himself a douchey image. I'd give you more information but I'm not fluent enough in english.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Quote by JoelTheShredder

Quote by CoreysMonster

Lol. I have seen that before. I have worked design for a few years now, and yes that sort of thing happens. A lot... And just general stupidity from clients.

I recently had an argument with a client (during a conference call) that went something like this:

Client: We really like the design of the site but could you make it green?
Me: It is green. In fact it is the exact shade of green you specified.
Client: Yeah I'm looking at it now and we would just really like it to be like... Green, ya know?
Me: It is green so I don't know what you mean.
Client: Well we just here think that it would really make everything pop if it was green.

At this point I had to leave the room because I was laughing so hard I was crying.
Quote by jfreyvogel
Lol. I have seen that before. I have worked design for a few years now, and yes that sort of thing happens. A lot... And just general stupidity from clients.

I recently had an argument with a client (during a conference call) that went something like this:

Client: We really like the design of the site but could you make it green?
Me: It is green. In fact it is the exact shade of green you specified.
Client: Yeah I'm looking at it now and we would just really like it to be like... Green, ya know?
Me: It is green so I don't know what you mean.
Client: Well we just here think that it would really make everything pop if it was green.

At this point I had to leave the room because I was laughing so hard I was crying.

Oh m-- Oh lord

What I love is when you finish a design, show it to the client, and they say "actually we've been discussing our ideas, and we'd like a couple of small changes"

*after completely redesigning the whole thing*

"oh but it doesn't work with internet explorer! What did you do wrong?!"

*they had forgotten to update to a newer version of IE, theirs was like from 04*

"Oh now it works! Now can you put this on a CD?"

*blinks*

"yeah, it's supposed to be a promotional CD for our company, we wanted it in form of a website. On a CD."

me:

Quote by CoreysMonster
"oh but it doesn't work with internet explorer! What did you do wrong?!"

*they had forgotten to update to a newer version of IE, theirs was like from 04*

"Oh now it works! Now can you put this on a CD?"

*blinks*

"yeah, it's supposed to be a promotional CD for our company, we wanted it in form of a website. On a CD."

The company I'm doing a job for right now everything has to be formatted for IE6. And yeah, I have had to do the CD thing before also.

Oh and this one was a beauty also. I got hired to do a website recently. Just the programming of it, not the design. The designer sends me a "design" that is literally just a list of the names of the pages of the site on a yellow rectangle, and the name of the company at the top... I ended up just doing everything myself and I didn't get paid any extra for it. In fact they still owe me money.

Another instance (for the design of a button on a page)

Client: One thing can we make the text bigger and the graphic smaller?
Me: Well I can if its ok that the text goes outside of the graphic...
Client: No we want it to stay inside. Can you do that?
Me: No, I can't.
Client: Why not?
Me: Physics.
Client: ......... Well why don't you just play around it photoshop and see what you can do?
Me: ......
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jul 13, 2010,
If anyone is interested in translation work translatorscafe is the best place to make a profile and network with large companies.
I love the design stories so far. :P I bet I'm going to be one of those clients pretty soon.
Quote by jfreyvogel

Client: ......... Well why don't you just play around it photoshop and see what you can do?

Oh lord

Jesus christ, this thread is gonna deteriorate into a bunch of designer facepalm stories

But on topic: when you market yourself, no matter what services you're offering, you always have to be prepared for stupid clients. When facepalm-worthy things happen, DO NOT facepalm, DO NOT complain, DO NOT act like your client is a complete idiot (even if they are).

Professionalism at ALL TIMES is a complete necessity when you're trying to sell something, even when you're NOT trying to sell something. Anything that you say in the name of your company affects your company.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Professionalism at ALL TIMES is a complete necessity when you're trying to sell something, even when you're NOT trying to sell something. Anything that you say in the name of your company affects your company.

Yeah I know what you mean. I try as much as possible to do things through conference calls because if something is funny I know I may not be able to keep a straight face. Then at least I can hit the mute button.
Quote by Colohue
Business; it's nothing personal.

exactly, though at times it can become personal, as we've both experienced.

It's never good when that happens.
Quote by CoreysMonster

*comic my web design teacher showed me*

As long as you get payed for it before and after it doesn't matter.

After the website is done, you keep charging them for any changes they want you to make.
Quote by metaldud536
As long as you get payed for it before and after it doesn't matter.

After the website is done, you keep charging them for any changes they want you to make.

I never had a web design teacher, and most of my skills are self-taught. The scenario described in that comic is a very realistic one, and I've dealt with several clients like that.
Create demand for your product or service yourself.
For example:
hookers should sneak into women's houses and sew their vaginas shut
Quote by CoreysMonster
I never had a web design teacher, and most of my skills are self-taught. The scenario described in that comic is a very realistic one, and I've dealt with several clients like that.

And did you get paid for the "minor changes" you made?
Here's some tips from me:

Always keep extra business cards with you
Goto expos related to your industry, even if you can't afford a booth - give out literature
Find your clients in real life, and introduce yourself.
Have a great website, with good seo and a pay per click campaign if the budget allows
Cold calls once in a while work, but I find them to be rather unsuccessful
Radio advertising if it's relevant to the radio listener as a consumer
Mass email marketing tends to look like junk mail - get personal with emails.
Business parties - Christmas, casual, dinner - just go!

I'll add more later if they come to me.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Quote by metaldud536
And did you get paid for the "minor changes" you made?

I got paid for the overall product, instead of the actual work I put into it, which was a huge mistake on my part.

but you know, you live and learn.
Quote by Colohue
I'll bite.

If you want a hand with anything I'm a full time internet marketer and, because my income's basically on autopilot, I've got a lot of free time.

EDIT: Actually, that's not true, I've got as much free time as I want to give myself.

Quote by guitar nubsauce
Here's some tips from me:

Always keep extra business cards with you
Goto expos related to your industry, even if you can't afford a booth - give out literature
Find your clients in real life, and introduce yourself.
Have a great website, with good seo and a pay per click campaign if the budget allows
Cold calls once in a while work, but I find them to be rather unsuccessful
Radio advertising if it's relevant to the radio listener as a consumer
Mass email marketing tends to look like junk mail - get personal with emails.
Business parties - Christmas, casual, dinner - just go!

I'll add more later if they come to me.

All good, except the radio advertising (waste of money because of the insanely low conversion rate) and email marketing. Everyone's used to spam mail having their name in the title so now it's better to just have something that shocks / intrigues the recipient into opening it.

EDIT2: At least this is the overwhelming result I've got from all my split testing.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Last edited by Yakult at Jul 19, 2010,
Quote by jfreyvogel

The company I'm doing a job for right now everything has to be formatted for IE6. And yeah, I have had to do the CD thing before also.

Oh and this one was a beauty also. I got hired to do a website recently. Just the programming of it, not the design. The designer sends me a "design" that is literally just a list of the names of the pages of the site on a yellow rectangle, and the name of the company at the top... I ended up just doing everything myself and I didn't get paid any extra for it. In fact they still owe me money.

Another instance (for the design of a button on a page)

"Physics"

Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.