If I was going to build a guitar after the gibson les paul supreme only with a floyd rose, and I was using locking tuners, Would I need to put in a locking nut?

Also I am going to use 490r and 498t, with .22uF capacitors, so what pots should I use?

Finally what neck and fretboard should I buy that has good innotation, is made of mahogany, and has either a rosewood, or ebony fretboard?
As far as pots goes I read 500k is the usual for humbuckers and 250k for single-coils.

Dunno about the other questions tho.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by fg-433s
If I was going to build a guitar after the gibson les paul supreme only with a floyd rose, and I was using locking tuners, Would I need to put in a locking nut?

Nope.

Quote by fg-433s

Also I am going to use 490r and 498t, with .22uF capacitors, so what pots should I use?

500k as previously stated.

Quote by fg-433s

Finally what neck and fretboard should I buy that has good innotation, is made of mahogany, and has either a rosewood, or ebony fretboard?

I would suggest a mahogany neck with either a rosewood or ebony fretboard from a company that has a good reputation, such Warmoth.

If you are up for it, a neck isn't hard to build, either. You can get a preslotted fretboard and you can't go wrong. Hardly.
Last edited by Ratraisin at Jul 13, 2010,
If I were you, I'd use a locking nut instead of locking tuners.

They work fine for hardtail guitars, but they really aren't as absolute as their name suggests. They can still slip.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you're going to have a floyd you need locking nuts. Locking tunes don't lock in that sense of locking. They aren't meant to be yanked on by a floyd.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Why not just buy one of these it would be simpler cheaper than building one and way better outfitted. Check out the Specs on this bad boy I think the only thing they don't mention is the strap locks. But you can see them on it and you get coil splits to.

LINK Les Paul Nightfall

It's official. I want that guitar
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Why not just buy one of these it would be simpler cheaper than building one and way better outfitted. Check out the Specs on this bad boy I think the only thing they don't mention is the strap locks. But you can see them on it and you get coil splits to.

LINK Les Paul Nightfall

I hate EMGs.
Quote by fg-433s
I hate EMGs.

They're passive. If you don't like it, just switch it out.

I hate Les Pauls. But I think it's cool that they're finally putting FR's and stuff on them. I wish that this was a continuation of the GOTH line though. The finish is exactly the same, but the "XII" inlay looked way cooler than that bow tie looking thing.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by handbanana
whats the point of getting EMG's if your not gonna go actives?
Money?
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
Quote by handbanana
whats the point of getting EMG's if your not gonna go actives?
That's like saying what's the point of buying Seymour Duncans if you're going to buy Blackouts instead of one of their passsive pickups. Just because a company is known for one particular pickup doesn't mean that every time you look at that brand you should only consider that one pickup. DiMarzio make more than the Super Distortion, Seymour DUncan make more than the JB, EMG make more than the 81 and 85.

Though that said, the passive EMGs do tend to blow. The newer ones are getting okay but it's like Line 6 Spiders and Marshall MGs, new ones being a bit better than the old ones isn't saying much.

And for the love of god, if you don't even know what potentiometer values to use, you don't know if Floyds need locking nuts or not and you clearly don't know anything neck construction, please don't try to build a guitar. You'll end up wasting a lot of money on an instrument that doesn't work. Get in contact with a custom company or a private luthier near you and just pay them to build it. you'll regret it if you piss away all your money on a guitar that is fundamentally broken.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Jul 14, 2010,
The only situation where I've heard passive EMG's sound good is with this man's work:

http://www.myspace.com/billkirvelay

He uses a Jackson DXMG (?) through a Digitech RP90 to a Firewire, recording to GarageBand where he finalizes and everything there. Listen to Soundtrack for the best use of his metalz tone.
Quote by MrFlibble

And for the love of god, if you don't even know what potentiometer values to use, you don't know if Floyds need locking nuts or not and you clearly don't know anything neck construction, please don't try to build a guitar. You'll end up wasting a lot of money on an instrument that doesn't work. Get in contact with a custom company or a private luthier near you and just pay them to build it. you'll regret it if you piss away all your money on a guitar that is fundamentally broken.

First, I thought you needed the higher values for pots for humbuckers, but couldn't think of what that number was.

Second, I knew that you need locking nuts for Floyds but not if you should put locking tuners with them. I worded it wrong, you were the only person who didn't see that.
Quote by fg-433s
Are .22uf good capacitors?

I think most guitars use .047, but I've heard that either kind can be used. Don't quote me on that though, just what I think?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
.050µF for single coils.
.020 µF for humbuckers.

The higher number lets more bass tone thru.

Quote by MrFlibble

And for the love of god, if you don't even know what potentiometer values to use, you don't know if Floyds need locking nuts or not and you clearly don't know anything neck construction, please don't try to build a guitar.

Sorry Mr. Flibble, I totally disagree with that. By researching and building a guitar from scratch, he'll become intimate with every facet of a guitar. Beyond the knowledge of most people on this board.

The TS does have to realize it's not going to be cheaper to build one than to buy one. And he really needs to research sources and not rely on information he collects from people who may not have experience.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
Last edited by Ratraisin at Jul 17, 2010,
Quote by Ratraisin
.050µF for single coils.
.020 µF for humbuckers.

The higher number lets more bass tone thru.

Sorry Mr. Flibble, I totally disagree with that. By researching and building a guitar from scratch, he'll become intimate with every facet of a guitar. Beyond the knowledge of most people on this board.

The TS does have to realize it's not going to be cheaper to build one than to buy one. And he really needs to research sources and not rely on information he collects from people who may not have experience.

Thanks man.
Last question (it's a stupid one), do you need capacitors on all pots or just the tone?