Page 1 of 2
I had an Epiphone Acoustic. I rather liked it. If I really wanted a new acoustic I'd go for an Epi.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
Les Paul Standard
Attachments:
a.jpg
Gibson Signature Les Paul
Fender Princeton 65
Dunlop Hendrix CryBaby
I have pictures of a couple of my epiphones on my profile i think.. i have four of them:

Les Paul Junior (the cheap one with the bolt on neck, plywood body and humbucker - there's something nice about it despite the obvious shortcomings you'd expect from a guitar that cost less than £100)
G-400 standard with a few mods - my first ever guitar.
1999 G-400 custom, which has an unusually nice gentle sound - it won't hurt nobody
1998 Sheraton II

They are all nice enough guitars.. only really the sheraton comes anywhere near to rivalling my gibson though, and it's not that much of a close contest, and it has the advantage of being a ES-335 style guitar which i generally prefer over les pauls.

Epiphones are decent enough, but anyone who says "high end epiphone is better than low end gibson" is lying. Unless of course they are talking about vintage MIA epiphones.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
ive got an epi les paul special. every seems to think they are shit but i had mine set up by a luthier and it plays like a dream!! im gonna change the pups soon too. im thinkin bout a hot bucker set for seymour duncs. pic on my profile (should be neways! lol)
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
I've had a few Epis over the years. In order of acquisition:
  • Joe Perry Boneyard Les Paul - one of the last ones made in Korea and also one of the last guitars to come out of the true Epiphone Custom Shop. Still all-original, never had a single fault with it.
  • Les Paul Junior - bought to practise modding on, currently sitting under my bed with the paint half stripped and an Alnico II Pro sat in it.
  • G-400 limited edition in Alpine White - sold because it neck-dived like crazy even with a thick leather strap and the front button repositioned.
  • Dot Studio - sold because the pickup selector was dodgy, it's pretty hard to sort those things out on a semi-hollow and I didn't care about the tone enough to pay a professional to sort it. However I did adore the neck and it started my love affair with fretboards that have no inlays.
  • Firebird Studio, limited edition in Ebony - currently sitting in my lap. I'm halfway through changing all of its hardware to gold, just need to find some tuners that will fit.

Pictures of some of them are in my profile.

I've got a lot of respect for Epiphone, obviously. People like to trash them because "**** THE MAN!" and there certainly are bad Epis out there, but good ones do crop up and it's very hard to beat them for the money. Though I am in the UK and our EU Epis get put through stricter quality control than Epis in America, so it may vary there.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I love my SG. Changed the pups and got a professional setup. The one I bought was bad from the get-go, but the tech did some neck adjustments and lowered the bridge and now it plays like a dream.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
I had a LP Special II, sold it, then a Epi Explorer 1958, sold that too. I do love me some epiphone though!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
I think you can get good Epis and maybe some not so nice ones too. The poorly built counterfeits going around (and there are quite a few) aren't helping thier reputation either unfortunately.
Here's my Gold Top beside my Traditional
Attachments:
3x4 012.jpg
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by MrFlibble
I've had a few Epis over the years. In order of acquisition:
  • Joe Perry Boneyard Les Paul - one of the last ones made in Korea and also one of the last guitars to come out of the true Epiphone Custom Shop. Still all-original, never had a single fault with it.
  • Les Paul Junior - bought to practise modding on, currently sitting under my bed with the paint half stripped and an Alnico II Pro sat in it.
  • G-400 limited edition in Alpine White - sold because it neck-dived like crazy even with a thick leather strap and the front button repositioned.
  • Dot Studio - sold because the pickup selector was dodgy, it's pretty hard to sort those things out on a semi-hollow and I didn't care about the tone enough to pay a professional to sort it. However I did adore the neck and it started my love affair with fretboards that have no inlays.
  • Firebird Studio, limited edition in Ebony - currently sitting in my lap. I'm halfway through changing all of its hardware to gold, just need to find some tuners that will fit.

Pictures of some of them are in my profile.

I've got a lot of respect for Epiphone, obviously. People like to trash them because "**** THE MAN!" and there certainly are bad Epis out there, but good ones do crop up and it's very hard to beat them for the money. Though I am in the UK and our EU Epis get put through stricter quality control than Epis in America, so it may vary there.

im in uk too. can i have ure alnico pro pickup please!! lol.
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Quote by KenG
Oh you ****. I've been wanting an Elitist for so long.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
That gold top Elitist looks amazing. I don't see myself owning an Epiphone unless I need a cheaper knock-around guitar. After my Schecter, I'd rather buy something as an incredible jump up from what I've been playing.

Gibson, here I come!.... in about 10 years. haha.

Nice Epiphones everyone
lovin the white sg dude
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
i havnt got an epi sg, but i got a tokai sg MIK and thats sweet too.
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Heres my Epi. i love this thing

Here it is with my practice rig

Sry for crappy cell phone pics
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
Quote by MrFlibble
Oh you ****. I've been wanting an Elitist for so long.

It's hard to feel sorry for a man who owns a Gibson re-issue 59 Mr Flibble! One day I hope to own one myself (after my wife gets over the sticker shock on the Trad)
Moving on.....
I've always wanted to try get a les paul custom but their pretty expensive out where i am unfortunately, and because of this you don't see many on the second hand market for to long.
I managed to pick a goth flying v (first edition korea) for buttons though and heres a pic with me and the V and if you noticed an sg bass you did :P
Quote by lespaul#1
Dr_Shred wins the thread

LEAVE THE PASTRIES ALONE!!!
I've never been happy with the epiphones I've owned. None of them have been able to stay in tune and they just didn't feel right in my hands. The one I own now pisses me off to no end, it's a standard epiphone Les Paul.
I have a Epiphone SG G-400, a great guitar for the price. Probably getting that 170$ 12 string by epi which the name escapes me...

I love epiphones,
I pick up pick,
I pick up guitar.
I think of melody.
I think of rhythm
I Strum,
Amp Go Boom.

Quote by Fly-By-Night
Here's my 1962 Epiphone Sorrento

This beats everything posted in here so far Looks awesome man

BTW I've a G-400. It's decent.
i guess I can post / "unite" with my cheap low end Epip (Les paul special II) but tbh for the price its a awesome guitar however i still wish i saved a bit more to get a Les paul 100 or even standard but hey hindsights a bitch
My Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top Cherry Sunburst
-Peavey Vypyr 15
-Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 0.10
-Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah pedal
-Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal
-Cleartone instrument cable

L.F.C
Quote by Fly-By-Night
Here's my 1962 Epiphone Sorrento

Oh god I think I had an accident just looking at that
SMILE!
Quote by SmokeJs
I've never been happy with the epiphones I've owned. None of them have been able to stay in tune and they just didn't feel right in my hands. The one I own now pisses me off to no end, it's a standard epiphone Les Paul.

i love epi guitars. all the ones ive had and played sound great. even the special i have now sounds good.
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Well guys this is my baby, Les paul standard, flamed maple, cherry sunburst, Left handed!
Quote by GeordieCal
Well guys this is my baby, Les paul standard, flamed maple, cherry sunburst, Left handed!

Left handed guitars make my fretting hand feel funny.
Quote by KenG
It's hard to feel sorry for a man who owns a Gibson re-issue 59 Mr Flibble! One day I hope to own one myself (after my wife gets over the sticker shock on the Trad)
Eh, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Elitists were still being made then I never would have bought that Gibson, I would have grabbed me a couple of Elitists instead.

Also that guitar's been sitting in the shop waiting to be sold for months now, so I'm effectively without a nice Les Paul at the moment.
Quote by MrFlibble
Eh, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Elitists were still being made then I never would have bought that Gibson, I would have grabbed me a couple of Elitists instead.

Also that guitar's been sitting in the shop waiting to be sold for months now, so I'm effectively without a nice Les Paul at the moment.
You could always take a shot at one online, seeing as how it is pretty hard to find them in shops.

I've owned a couple Epi's. The only one I liked was the modded Black Beauty. I put Seymour Duncans in it as well as a Gibson TP-6 tailpiece, and it sounded pretty rude. The other Epi's were cheap and low quality.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
I used to own an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top. It was an Iced Tea Burst which is in between tobacco and cherry burst.
I actually thought it was a great, reliable guitar. Obviously it's not a Gibson but for only spending $300 on it I was very impressed at this guitar. Definitely better than any other epiphone I ever played. I am seriously considering getting another one to keep in a lower tuning than my SG(since I like my SG either in standard, or a half step down)

I sold it about a year ago to get my LP Studio(which I later traded for my SG Standard and ever looked back). But I would definitely suggest one to somebody who can't afford a Gibson. The Customs are a bit too much if you ask me, while the Standard is perfect, and the quality is just right.

Heres a couple pics. Just realized that I don't own any of the guitars pictured anymore.
Pic quality is pretty crappy but whatever.

Page 1 of 2