Poll Options
View poll results: Mustang Or Jaguar
Jaguar
21 62%
Mustang
13 38%
Voters: 34.
Hi Guys,

I am having alot of trouble deciding which guitar i should go with.

Fender Mustang 65 RI, Or a Fender Jaguar HH.

Im really going for that Cobain sound also. I know that both of the guitars can produce a very good Nirvana sound, i just want to know which guitar is better to go with.

I am already leaning towards buying a Olympic White Mustang over a 3-tone Sunburst Jaguar.

Every little bit will help me decide guys.

Thanks !
I haven't played a Mustang in a while but I love Jags! So I voted Jag
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Sorry, I for got to mention that i do NOT want to purchase a jagstang
Owning both, I'd say the Mustang is the better guitar and for me, a comfier guitar to play, though theres less tonal options with it, however, my Jag doesn't take distortion very well. My Jaguar is an absolute bitch when it comes to maintence and such and they generally are more suited to having heavier strings on if thats a factor for you. Tbh I'd just go a try both and see what you like best though.
Which HH jaguar.

The black special is balls.

I havent tried the MIMs, but they imroved the design alot over the MIJs and MIAs, moved the trem forward so the break angle is sharper, so strings arent as slack, so their isnt a need for higher gauge strings, the bridge doesnt have the issues with the saddles since its just a TOM variant.

The CIJs are beautifull (not the specials!) but come with some hassle, you need to swap the saddles out, stick a higher gauge on it, and set it up a bit. A new bridge pup is probably an idea.

The MIAs are practically the same as the Japanese ones just with better electronics and twice the price.

Down on paper the mustang is very similar to the jag, practically the same neck, same materials, pretty similar tremolo system (Without the flaws of the bridge and string tension issues), the electronics are pretty different though, it doesnt use the 1meg pots that the jags use, sounds alot mellower, the pups are voiced a bit differently.
Jaguar just cause I think it look better really... I have no other reason.
Yamaha SG 800
Tokai USG 118s
Hughes&Kettner Tube Meister
Jet City JCA12XS
Laney Cub 10
Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi (tone/wicker)
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Guild D 125 CE <3
Mustang More Versitile
Live Guitars and Amps:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Es-335
Fender Telecaster
Matchless Dc-30
Vox AC30H2
Pedals:
Boss Tuner
Keeley Compressor
Kelley Katana
Ibanez Ts-9
Fulltone OCD
Ernieball Volume Jr.
Boss DD-20
Mustang. While I don't own one whenever I've played a Mustang I have absolutely loved it.
Mustang. It's just that badass.
Quote by Carmel
Lucky I'm a girl and I don't give a damn.

Quote by darkwolf291

I've seen her kill a man with a spork and a rubber band
No one is safe from the wrath of Batgirl!
jaguar, its much more versitile. you get a humbucker sound, and it has coil tap, so you get that single coil sound. its like having humbuckers and single coil, you even get to blend how much of each you want...i know that barely makes since, but trust its more versitle. to me its also more comfortable, mustangs are too small. mustangs are also kinda expensive for their features in my opinion. its like a regular strat basically.

good luck man
Quote by davem27
jaguar, its much more versitile. you get a humbucker sound, and it has coil tap, so you get that single coil sound. its like having humbuckers and single coil, you even get to blend how much of each you want...i know that barely makes since, but trust its more versitle. to me its also more comfortable, mustangs are too small. mustangs are also kinda expensive for their features in my opinion. its like a regular strat basically.

good luck man

Mustangs are a stepdown from a strat. They're still good guitars though..
Last edited by SmokeJs at Jul 14, 2010,
Jaguar. I mean, it has the name of a freakin' jungle cat that would rip the jugular of a Mustang horse any day.
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
I've owned both, so I'll be the first one to tell you that they're both INCREDIBLE NOISY!

I always enjoyed the feel of my Jaguar more. It has a more modern tone with the HH, but I absolutely despided the jaguar rolling bridge and trem. I replaced it with a fixed bridger after only a month.

The Mustang was great for getting a lot of dirty 60's and 70's sound out of my Twin Reverb, but I found that with a Jaguar, Tele, and 2 Strats, I had no real use for a Mustang.

If you're stuck between the two, go with a Jaguar, get a noise suppressor if you run a ton of gain, and if you have a rolling bridge, for the love of god, replace it with a Tune-o-Matic or Mustang bridge.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
i once owned both. now i only own a mustang. enough said.
"Most people die with their music still locked up inside them." - Benjamin Disraeli
kurt put dimarzio super distortions in his jack and one in his mustang so if your going to LOOK like KC than go wity one of those but if your going for the sound look into a 72 tele deluxe than do a swap with dimarzio super distortions. and fender charging 1000 bucks for a student model mustang is ridiculous stay away, they dont even stay in tune.

edit:i guess the new jaguar hh will work just put some damarzio's in it.
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Last edited by Skagasm at Jul 14, 2010,
I'm not going to tell you which one to buy, That would be ridiculous. Instead I'll try to help you decide for yourself. Does scale length make a big difference to you? Keep in mind that the Mustang has a 24" scale length and the Jag has a 24.75" scale length. Also keep the guitar's body shape in mind and how you play, Do you usually play sitting down or standing up? The Mustang might be better if you prefer to sit down while playing but that's up to you.

And while I'm here I might as well link to this...

http://www.bangzero.org/stringtension/

Approximate tension of a set of 10s on a 24" scale length guitar

E .010" PL == 14.36#
B, .013" PL == 13.63#
G, .017" PB == 12.5#
D, .026" PB == 17.55#
A,, .036" PB == 19.37#
E,, .046" PB == 17.64#

Approximate tension of a set of 10s on a 24.75" scale length guitar

E .010" PL == 15.28#
B, .013" PL == 14.49#
G, .017" PB == 13.29#