Page 1 of 2
I wanna know what the best distortion pedal is for a raucous punk sound, but that can also serve as a pedal for rhtyhm guitar in heavy rock tunes - i hate any distortion with a fizzy/fuzz sound

i don't like digital effects, the distortion on my me-50 isn't as good as i would like so its time to buy a pedal

the guitar that i will be using with it will be a Telecaster with a Bridge Humbucker running through a Marshall MG 100 DFX

any help would be appreciated
Everyone is gonna tell you to get a new amp. If you're not happy with how the MG's distortion sounds, you're not gonna be happy with how a pedal sounds with the amp either, really.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Good replies so far. The MG series sells because people like the Marshall name. The ME-50 isn't great either; I just sold mine because it was quite the tone sucker, and all the effects had a distinct "ME-50 digital" type of sound.

Also, you should give us a bit more info like: budget, new/used, location, etc.

There are quite a few nice Fuzz pedals on the market (very cheap on CraigsList or Kijiji), but like every has said so far, you're going to spend $100 bucks on a pedal, only to realize it's the amp that's killing you.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
i do want a new amp, but i can't afford it

i'm in the UK atm and i'd rather have a new pedal than a used one

i agree that the me-50 is too digitally, but its all i've got for the time being, but i deffinately hate the sound of fuzz
First off, punk is such a wide genre you need to be specific about what sound you want.
Second, if you REALLY wanna be punk, crank the MG. Punk tone is defined by loud, shitty, and obnoxious, you're set man. Unless you mean classic punk, that's a whole other genre really...
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Lol, my bad, I misread that. I thought you said you liked fuzz!

Sounds like you're set on a pedal, and we can't convince you to get a new amp (though IMHO, you should sell your MG and buy a nice low wattage Tube amp...they're cheap, have great tone and are surprisingly loud) I've always loved the ProCo Rat distortion. It's pretty cheap, too. Check out some videos on YouTube, I think you might like it. There are TONS of distortion pedals out there. Just YouTube "distortion pedal demo" or something like that, listen to as many as possible, and of course, go in to a shop and try as many as you can out!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
i've wanted a tube amp for ages, but they're so expensive

but if i did get a new amp, i'd get one with really good cleans cos i like to play a lotta ska

i'll check out that pedal though

and i like all punk, except what some people call punk nowadays - which is just pop shite
Quote by Jimmy_Page_Zep
Lol, my bad, I misread that. I thought you said you liked fuzz!

Sounds like you're set on a pedal, and we can't convince you to get a new amp (though IMHO, you should sell your MG and buy a nice low wattage Tube amp...they're cheap, have great tone and are surprisingly loud) I've always loved the ProCo Rat distortion. It's pretty cheap, too. Check out some videos on YouTube, I think you might like it. There are TONS of distortion pedals out there. Just YouTube "distortion pedal demo" or something like that, listen to as many as possible, and of course, go in to a shop and try as many as you can out!

I was gonna suggest a proco rat, but they do sound somewhat fuzzy to me.. although the filter control is quite effective in smoothing out the sound iirc.. not tried a rat for a very long time even though it was at one point my next "must have" pedal...
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by 2ToneJake

but if i did get a new amp, i'd get one with really good cleans cos i like to play a lotta ska

i'll check out that pedal though

and i like all punk, except what some people call punk nowadays - which is just pop shite

In this case, play hardcore punk until you get a new amp. You already have perfect tone for hardcore, haha. Greg Ginn only played SS amps because they were more brittle and had a harder attack, same with the guy from Death From Above 1979 (yes I know he's a bassist, and yes they may not be entirely "punk," but the idea still applies).

EDIT: By the way, why not just sell off the MG and get a decent amp? You'd have enough money if you took what you were gonna spend on a pedal plus whatever you get from the MG to pick up something like a used Blues Jr, Valve Jr, Ht-5 (I could be wrong about that one), ect.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Last edited by mcraddict81592 at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by 2ToneJake

They're not that expensive, you just have to know what models to check out and have a bit of patience. For small-watt, inexpensive tube amps, check out:

Vox Night Train (incredible cleans, some great dirty tones, and a killer Thick "channel" with heavy distortion. Just bought one of these, couldn't be happier!!!)
Orange Tiny Terror (a little bit pricier)
Egnater Tweaker (sick amp; has switchable circuitry that gives you tones resembling Marshall, Fender, and Vox)
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue (great cleans, really cheap for a 40W tube amp)
Fender Pro Junior

These are just some examples. You can probably pick all of them up for well under $1000 USD (possibly with the exception of the Orange, that might run you a bit although I feel like they might be a bit cheaper in Europe). I got my Vox, w/ cab, for $500 CAD.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
tube amps arent that expensive. sell the MG get some light bulbs and stop complaining
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
i'd love to get rid of it and get a new amp, but i don't wanna be between amps though

that vox night train is only 15watt though - i don't think that'd be big enough for gigging with
plus it costs £349 just for the head, so i'd have to buy a cab aswell just to use it

my MG is worth £150 max

i was looking at those orange amps before, i dont like the lack of control on them - the way it has a bass and treble and then it alters the mids acording to the two them just aint my thing, i like to be able to control it all

i was looking at a fender fm half stack before, but i'd still have to source another £300 after selling me MG just to afford it
If you hate fizz/fuzz, get rid of the MG.

The Vox Night Train actually should be able to be heard over a drummer and you can mic it and send it thru the PA at gigs anyway.
it could but it's too expensive after buying the cab and everything

i've just checked out that Pro Co Rat that someone mentioned before and i like the sound you get out of it
The Rat is only going to sound good if you have tubes to run it through. 15 tube watts is indefinitely enough to be heard over a band, it's not like solid state, it's really a whole new world. I play the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, which is 40 watts, but I never find myself over 3, and I'm sure if I played punk, I wouldn't be over 5. A blues jr will do you just fine. Also, to your comment on the lack of control on the Orange amps - they have a RIDICULOUSLY good tone, you don't need the mid control, if you want tohave more control, buy an eq pedal, leave the bass and treble flat and adjust the mids accordingly, then just leave the pedal on top of your amp all of the time and never turn it off.
Ventura Howard Roberts
Epiphone Wildkat
G&L Blondie
Martin 000M

Schecter Stiletto Studio-4

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112

BOSS BD-2
BOSS TU-2
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
Boss DD7
EHX Small Clone
Digitech Hardwire SC-2
MXR 76 DynaComp
Quote by 2ToneJake
i'd love to get rid of it and get a new amp, but i don't wanna be between amps though

that vox night train is only 15watt though - i don't think that'd be big enough for gigging with
plus it costs £349 just for the head, so i'd have to buy a cab aswell just to use it

my MG is worth £150 max

i was looking at those orange amps before, i dont like the lack of control on them - the way it has a bass and treble and then it alters the mids acording to the two them just aint my thing, i like to be able to control it all

i was looking at a fender fm half stack before, but i'd still have to source another £300 after selling me MG just to afford it

Don't underestimate the 15 watt rating. 15 watt amps, when coupled with a decent speaker, are plenty loud for gigging. as long as you don't need sparkly crystal cleans.

For thew love of gawd DO NOT BUY THE FM. it's possibly the only amp that sounds worse than the MG.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Jhachey22
Don't underestimate the 15 watt rating. 15 watt amps, when coupled with a decent speaker, are plenty loud for gigging. as long as you don't need sparkly crystal cleans.

For thew love of gawd DO NOT BUY THE FM. it's possibly the only amp that sounds worse than the MG.

Yeah, this is pretty much true. The other day I was in my local music store and accidentally plugged into one of these things thinking it was a Twin Reverb...

Boy, I was in for a surprise.
I pride myself on my humility.
15W is actually a good way to go. The sound of punk is a tube amp turned up REALLY loud. Sex Pistols is a Fender Twin. Have you ever heard a Fender Twin cranked to 10? If you weren't wearing earplugs it was probably the last thing you heard.
With a 15W tube amp you can get the classic punk tone without the bleedng ears.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Dehumanize93
Get a Boss DS-1 (el cheapo) and boost the MG, but still use the amp's distortion.

you, sir, have earned yourself a puke stack.

1) you can use a distortion as a boost, but only if the pedal itself has a high enough output when the gain is turned down, which the boss does not have.

2) Boosting a tube amp =/= boosting a SS amp. when people are talking about boosting an amp, it means hitting the front end of the amp hard so that it drives the preamp for more distortion and a tighter sound. This works because when you push tubes they break up in a way that's appealing to the ears. Boosting a SS amp causes horrible clipping sounds, which are okay if you want to sound like Dimebag through computer speakers.

TS, for the sake of the children please don't listen to this guy.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Jul 24, 2010,
15 watt tube amp running through a big speaker would sound distorted on max volume, and i need the cleans cos i love to play Ska

but its kinda irrelavent cos there's no way i could afford a new amp for a very long time

i dont like the sound of that DS-1 - its a bt fuzzy on all the demos i've heard, i really like the Pro Co Rat
Quote by mcraddict81592

Second, if you REALLY wanna be punk, crank the MG. Punk tone is defined by loud, shitty, and obnoxious, you're set man. Unless you mean classic punk, that's a whole other genre really...

Whether or not you were serious, this was funny
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Jhachey22
you, sir, have earned yourself a puke stack.

1) you can use a distortion as a boost, but only if the pedal itself has a high enough output when the gain is turned down, which the boss does not have.

2) Boosting a tube amp =/= boosting a SS amp. when people are talking about boosting an amp, it means hitting the front end of the amp hard so that it drives the preamp for more distortion and a tighter sound. This works because when you push tubes they break up in a way that's appealing to the ears. Boosting a SS amp causes horrible clipping sounds, which are okay if you want to sound like Dimebag through computer speakers.

TS, for the sake of the children please don't listen to this guy.

1.) The DS1 has plenty of output. It's been used to boost amps for decades.

2.) Solid state amps are boosted all the time. No, it's not the same as a tube amp, but it sounds great. You must not listen to much metal, where boosted solid states can be found all over the place

But yeah, don't listen to me, the fella who's spent years touring with punk and hardcore bands. I was only suggesting some cheap methods to make his current amp sound better without being the typical internet bedroom elitist and telling him to buy another amp.

Anyways, you're obviously the expert here, so carry on, fool.
Quote by Dehumanize93

2.) Solid state amps are boosted all the time. No, it's not the same as a tube amp, but it sounds great. You must not listen to much metal, where boosted solid states can be found all over the place

But yeah, don't listen to me, the fella who's spent years touring with punk and hardcore bands. I was only suggesting some cheap methods to make his current amp sound better without being the typical internet bedroom elitist and telling him to buy another amp.

Tell me one player who has actually used the DS1 as a boost, tell me all these people who are boosting SS amps, who are these bands you've toured with? unless you have some information to back your shit up, sounds like a whole bunch of bullshit to me.

I don't care how much experience you have with punk and hardcore bands, only a moron would think it's a good idea to boost an MG with a DS1. Price should not decide the quality of gear you buy. Putting a crappy pedal in front of a crappier amp is like putting a band aid on a severed limb.

I've owned an MG, i know how shitty they are. No pedal is going to fix the inherent problems with that amp. It was built as cheaply as possible to suck out as much money from marshall fanboys who can't afford a real amp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Jhachey22
Tell me one player who has actually used the DS1 as a boost, tell me all these people who are boosting SS amps, who are these bands you've toured with? unless you have some information to back your shit up, sounds like a whole bunch of bullshit to me.

I don't care how much experience you have with punk and hardcore bands, only a moron would think it's a good idea to boost an MG with a DS1. Price should not decide the quality of gear you buy. Putting a crappy pedal in front of a crappier amp is like putting a band aid on a severed limb.

I've owned an MG, i know how shitty they are. No pedal is going to fix the inherent problems with that amp. It was built as cheaply as possible to suck out as much money from marshall fanboys who can't afford a real amp.

It's still tangible, and 'real' as any amp

But if someone can afford an MG100DFX, they can definitely afford a 'real' amp in the context you're talking about. There are much better amps than the MG100 at that price range. MUCH better.
TS, punk guitarists don't use distortion pedals. At least, professional ones don't. Typically it's just a Marshall or Orange or something running full blast, maybe a boost or overdrive to kick it up for solos. You rarely see guys in contemporary punk bands clicking on a DS-1 or something.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
i didnt buy the marshall, it was a xmas present 2 years ago, and i dont have the money to get another amp

whats wrong with just having it on clean and using pedals?
i wuld suggest the ds-1 or the ds-2

they are cheap and while they arent the most amazing sounding pedals for punk they should be fine

i would suggest a tube amp though
Quote by Dehumanize93

even if i did believe your claims to have been touring with punk bands that wouldn't make me consider your opinion any more valid than anyone elses. You can't believe everything you read on the internet. For all you know i might be talking shit too. I might actually believe you

Though you would have some fair points if you weren't being so arrogant about it -

1) Yes, the DS-1 can work very nicely as a boost - better than as a stand-alone distortion by a long way, imo. If you know what you're doing with it it can be a brilliant pedal.

2) Solid state amps can be boosted to great effect, yes, but rarely with distortion/od pedals. Often the clipping circuit within the pedal and the clipping circuit within the amp sort of work against each other, resulting in a very sloppy, messy tone. Doesn't mean to say it can't work well, because in some instances it can, but you've obviously not tried boosting a marshall MG with a DS-1, because you recommended it to someone... I have tried it. It was not a pleasant experience. I like to use a compressor as a solo boost with a solid state.

Also, in answer to the real question here:

The issue with running a distortion pedal in front of a marshall MG's clean channel is, for the most part, that it won't sound any better than just using the distortion. However, if you're just trying to change the character of the distortion to make it a bit less fuzzy, there shouldn't be any problem, just dont expect any tonal miracles. I've gotten away with gigging a marshall MG clean with a DS-1 before (a borrowed rig) - though the DS-1 is probably not what you're looking for in terms of a distortion sound, it is very fuzzy sounding and if i'm not mistaken you did say you want a less fuzzy distorted sound in the original post?

i know the amp's shite, but its all i've got and cant afford a whole new amp or anything, i'm gonna have to save for weeks, maybe months for the pedal

yea, i want something not so fuzzy
i heard a demo of a ProcoRat and that sounded spot on really
unless there's something better?
what kind of cab are you using? if its the mg 412 can that shit. the head is great for a beginner head as long as you pair it with a good cab. why on earth would you make a cab with particle wood? second if you want a distortion use a big muff. i know you said you don't like fuzz' but trust me on this.
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
Quote by drugfreeboy
what kind of cab are you using? if its the mg 412 can that shit. the head is great for a beginner head as long as you pair it with a good cab. why on earth would you make a cab with particle wood? second if you want a distortion use a big muff. i know you said you don't like fuzz' but trust me on this.

He's using an MG 100 watt combo amp, not a halfstack, he's mentioned it at least twice.

TS, I'm pretty sure you could sell that amp of yours for some decentish cash on CL, after saving up some more so you can get a decent tube amp and use a DS-1 or save even more and get a crunch box/OCD/tube screamer on CL for a reasonable price.

Although, the DS-1 will give you much better results on a tube amp than on the SS platform.

Really, unless you're gigging in front of people regularly, you don't need an amp that loud, a 5 watt combo tube amp will get loud for practice reasons. And even if you WERE playing large venues, you'd mic up with the PA anyway.
i do gig a lot, and our PA isn't up for micing stuff up, its only a 4 channel mixer

what's CL?
is it a site specially for gear like?

i'm in the UK is that where it's based?
Tell us what genre of punk. A punk tone can go from a squier in a MG to an ESP in a Mesa Boogie.

We need a direction.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
i want like a trebley bitey tone, thats raw and crisp but not fuzzy at all!

is any valve amp better than a solid state marshall MG?
Quote by 2ToneJake
i want like a trebley bitey tone, thats raw and crisp but not fuzzy at all!

is any valve amp better than a solid state marshall MG?

Yes.

I really suggest on buying a new amp. It will cost a lot more than a pedal but will be overall much more worth it and you'll be damn happy to have a great tone coming from the amp itself. Tell me what you'd be willing to get as an amp and i'll try to help you out.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Last edited by AmericanParadox at Jul 29, 2010,
i dunno, no more than £500

i'd love a valve amp, but i dunno if i can get one in this price range that can get crystal clear cleans when wacked all the way up. thats why i was looking at the solid state fender FM, cos they're supposed to have really good clean channels
Page 1 of 2