Okay, I'm a guitarist. Been playing for 2 years. I've never owned a bass, nor have I really played on them much. However, I am planning on investing in one

I want it to be 5-string (if I get a 4-string to learn the basics on, within a month or two I'm going to want a 5-string to play my sort of music on, so I'm going to skip out the 4-string stage), and preferably look quite nice (I'm not fussy, but I don't want a horrible colour, or a plain wood-coloured one). I don't have a particular budget, but I want to spend as little as possible, without getting the cheapest, crappiest one. Low-end, but not low-end.

I don't know a lot about them, so I can't give a lot of detail about what I want. I play mainly metal and various subgenres of metal (melodeath, progressive metal, heavy metal, etc. etc.) so the bass would ideally want to suit that.

Any questions, just ask.

Thanks!
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/5-String-Electric-Electric-Bass.gc?o=1
If you can afford it, I'd go for the squire as i find out of low end basses, squire stand out as being good, but I'm not sure If a squire will do for your genre's. Keep In mind most low end "metal" basses are most likely to sound extremely muddy.
Thunderbirds and Schecters are the best of the best for my preferences and your genres. (pound for pound)
take a look at http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars5.html. GREAT guitars, not only for their price range, but in general.
Quote by CoreysMonster
you know why rabbits are smarter than cows?

fucking cows start moo-ing around for no reason, but rabbits keep their mouth shut until they actually have something to say.

god I hate cows.
Quote by salgala2000
If you can afford it, I'd go for the squire as i find out of low end basses, squire stand out as being good, but I'm not sure If a squire will do for your genre's.

+1

Squiers are pretty good guitars for the price, and if you're looking for something to get you started it should work. However as salgala said, it might not fit your genre as well as others, and you may get bored with it quickly.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
I'm willing to pay a bit more if it will suit my genre more. It's not going to be something I'm going to just practise with until I get good enough to upgrade. It has to last me a while.
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Well, I'm a big fan of long necks with big frets when it comes to Metal. And ESP makes great basses and the B series is always great.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B105-5String-Bass-Guitar?sku=516170

If you want to look metal, this always works.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD-F-155DX-5-String-Bass-Guitar-516184-i1396594.gc

Might be out of your price range, but, they're still great 5 strings.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Fender MIM Standard Precision Bass (Ginger =])
Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II 700/50W Biamp Bass Head
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Choice is a wonderful thing.
Might want to reconsider the 5 String. I rarely use the B string and it usually just gets in my way. You should go in store to find out what you like. For me it was the Ibanezz SR300 which is still my main bass despite having a Schecter Studio 5 and an ESP F-204 (gets pretty close). Everyone here is telling you what they like and want. Find a place to try it out yourself
Quote by RedPorkbun
Might want to reconsider the 5 String. I rarely use the B string and it usually just gets in my way. You should go in store to find out what you like. For me it was the Ibanezz SR300 which is still my main bass despite having a Schecter Studio 5 and an ESP F-204 (gets pretty close). Everyone here is telling you what they like and want. Find a place to try it out yourself

Not really what we want. We're just trying help out a fellow musician. =]
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox
Not really what we want. We're just trying help out a fellow musician. =]

Yeah no doubt but a lot of times people like to recommend what they are currently looking at or what they feel is best. Im in a sour mood because I dont want to send my bass away for 2-3 weeks to get fixed
Quote by RedPorkbun

Yeah no doubt but a lot of times people like to recommend what they are currently looking at or what they feel is best. Im in a sour mood because I dont want to send my bass away for 2-3 weeks to get fixed

I know how you feel, I had to send my bass for a week and a half to get the neck unbowed and the bridge fixed. =\
Worst week and a half of my life.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox
I know how you feel, I had to send my bass for a week and a half to get the neck unbowed and the bridge fixed. =\
Worst week and a half of my life.

I feel like an idiot because I cant set it up correctly. Im was thinking about selling my schecter because I didnt want to deal with setting it up with its super complicated bridge
Quote by RedPorkbun
I feel like an idiot because I cant set it up correctly. Im was thinking about selling my schecter because I didnt want to deal with setting it up with its super complicated bridge

Well, what kind of Schecter is it?
They sell pretty fast.
PROUD VEGETARIAN!

Bass rig:
Carvin 6x10 Cab.
MXR M-80 Bass Direct Box

Quote by Offworld92
Quote by Nolanrox
Well, what kind of Schecter is it?
They sell pretty fast.

Schecter Studio 5
Looks like a $1000 bass, feels like a $1000 bass but most of them sell for not much more than $360 used
EVERY Guitarist turned Bassist i know that plays a 5 string have all unanimously loved the Ibanez SR505. It's got narrow string spacing which made the switch from guitar to bass more comfortable.

I use to own one, and out of all the basses i have ever owned, it is THEE only one i regret geting rid of.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR505-5String-Electric-Bass-Guitar?sku=517942&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26044082

Get it. Love it.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
get an ibanez SR series,
i dont think the 305 is expensive,
ive had my GSR190, the starter pack one, for around 3-4 years, ive played around 10-15 gigs with it, its a really good bass for the price, and it doesnt look that bad imo

if you can spend more money i would recomend the SR 705, i am planning on getting one as soon as i have the money
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
The Ibanez SR is something worth trying out, but try it first. Not everyone feels at home on such a thin neck, although if you find it comfortable, they are great basses. Built very well.

I'd suggest looking at the Traben Array Limited 5. I'd also suggest a used MIM Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass V. Truly a jack-of-all-trades bass.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
You don't know how terribly wrong you are when you say that 4 Strings "suck". Necrophagist use 4 string basses and so many more metal musicians.

As to which bass to get... Don't get a BC Rich no matter what. I've got one and regret it. It's too big, heavy, long and will make you feel stupid depending where you gig with it. It's like a big toy. Don't get a huge one or a long one, they're not nice to play standing up. You should seriously go and try a lot of basses before you buy it. And since you play metal make sure the bass strings are extremely close to the fretboard and nice and "loose" in a way that you can comfortably press them down with the speed needed. I've been asked to do bass in a Death Metal group and trust me it's going to be painful on my BC Rich to keep up... I'll probably get a new 5 stringer too. http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD...184-i1396594.gc is an extremely sexy bass btw, but I'm not sure whether I would personally get it for my self since I know what it's like to own a "metal" styled bass. You can never go wrong with a popular bass...
I have a Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe 5 stringer, fits everything I play from metal to more laid-back stuff.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found