Hi,

So what to do to get my left hand into shape and faster?
Any tips?
What do you guys do?

Thanks,
Prog <3
Depend if you're left or right handed. I'll assume you're right handed.

Play. A lot.

Some exercises if you want them: the Spider exercises, Finger Independence exercises, and scales (all of the individual "shapes"). These are the ones I recommend.
THE best thing, in my opinion (of course ) for shaping your left hand is legato. It requires better dexterity and strength because you need to make all the notes sound even and can't rely on picking to get your volume.
Also, legato on a clean channel helps a lot more than playing on distortion. My picking hand has always been fast, and my left hand was never fast enough to be in sync with it when i tried to play something above 120bpm for example. Doing really slow, focussed practice with legato helped me overcome this, and my left hand was then able to move at speed similar to my picking hand, which then allowed me to finally sync them up at higher speeds.
try playing some music
maybe spend a small amount of time running scales (musically, id recomend over a droned root, then second until you get up the scale and can aurally understand it, then repeating it all using triads, then seventh chords and then with extensions with a metronome and doing that in CAGED positions, 3 note per string pattern, 1 octave 2 and 3 string scales and 1 string scales), and eventually diatonic triads and seventh chords, but mostly playing music.
Quote by GilbertsPinky
Also, legato on a clean channel helps a lot more than playing on distortion. My picking hand has always been fast, and my left hand was never fast enough to be in sync with it when i tried to play something above 120bpm for example. Doing really slow, focussed practice with legato helped me overcome this, and my left hand was then able to move at speed similar to my picking hand, which then allowed me to finally sync them up at higher speeds.

Dude, nice thanks, That's what I need to do exactly sync up my left hand!!
Thanks,
Prog <3
Quote by salgala2000
I know i'm going to sound like a fanboy but try some of those petrucci rules of rock or whatever there called on youtube

Rock Discipline,
Yeah, dude those are some great lessons, I have them on video with a tab file. :-D
Prog <3
Quote by GilbertsPinky

What kind of legato exercises did you do?
Prog <3
Every finger combination possible, but with licks from songs.

I agree with the other guy who said always keep it musical. My view is why learn this boring exercise:

-------------------------------------3-7-9--
------------------------------3-7-9---------
-----------------------3-7-9----------------
----------------3-7-9-----------------------
---------3-7-9------------------------------
--3-7-9-------------------------------------

When i can learn the same finger pattern (1/2/4th fingers) but where it's used in a song, so i'm learning the song and the exercise at the same time!? Eg, Nowegian Cowbell by Paul Gilbert utilises basically every finger combination possible (in the 1234, 1243) sense, so i used that as my basis, because i wanted to also learn the song.

Take your favourite licks, ones that are hard for you to do, and start really slowly, do them all legato. Try to keep your fingers close to the fretboard, yet also gain a decent amount of volume. Doing this will help your finger independence, speed, strength and dexterity. And it'll also help you develop killer legato. Just remember not to neglect picking in your other practice time, and make sure you try and get through every finger combination possible.
Quote by GilbertsPinky
Every finger combination possible, but with licks from songs.

I agree with the other guy who said always keep it musical. My view is why learn this boring exercise:

-------------------------------------3-7-9--
------------------------------3-7-9---------
-----------------------3-7-9----------------
----------------3-7-9-----------------------
---------3-7-9------------------------------
--3-7-9-------------------------------------

When i can learn the same finger pattern (1/2/4th fingers) but where it's used in a song, so i'm learning the song and the exercise at the same time!? Eg, Nowegian Cowbell by Paul Gilbert utilises basically every finger combination possible (in the 1234, 1243) sense, so i used that as my basis, because i wanted to also learn the song.

Take your favourite licks, ones that are hard for you to do, and start really slowly, do them all legato. Try to keep your fingers close to the fretboard, yet also gain a decent amount of volume. Doing this will help your finger independence, speed, strength and dexterity. And it'll also help you develop killer legato. Just remember not to neglect picking in your other practice time, and make sure you try and get through every finger combination possible.

Thanks, again!!
Prog <3
gilbertspinky knows the way

as for practicing clean +1, i do all my real practice practice on an acoustic.
Quote by ScalesOfDoom
Hi,

So what to do to get my left hand into shape and faster?
Any tips?
What do you guys do?

Thanks,

well, probably not the answer your looking for but..........

Play music on your guitar regularly over a period of time.
shred is gaudy music