So I can get my edge III balanced, and in tune, but once I lock it at the nut, and use the microtuners, it seems to be so hard to get up to perfect pitch. Is there a technique your supposed to use?
Quote by xxIceManxx08
but once I lock it at the nut
Here's your problem. See, a guitar tech/repairman told me once that you shouldn't lock it at the nut. What you do is just tighten nut square things, so they're resting on top of the strings but not locking them. Then use the tuning pegs to tune it like normal. Ever since I've followed that guy's advice, I've NEVER had any trouble with tuning.
Do you mean that you run out of room on the tuner and it's screwed all the way down or up?

If that's the case, then back it out to about the middle point, unlock one nut at a time, tune those 2 strings and relock the nut, and now use the micro tuner. and repeat for the others...

The way I tune my guitars:

1: unlock all the nuts
2: put my fine tuners in the middle position
3: tune all my strings a few times until they are perfect
4: lock the nuts
5: divebomb with the bar
6: use the fine tuners to fix the play that may have been in each sting.

after this my guitars will stay in tune for a good while.
Last edited by iduno871 at Jul 13, 2010,
you need to set the fine tuners at 1/2 way before locking the nut, tune using the pegs then lock the nut then adjust the fine tuners, it may be worth checking your intonation.

@ crazysam, if that works for you then so be it, can`t see it being functional though `cos as soon as you abuse the bar you`ll be out of tune.
Quote by iduno871
Do you mean that you run out of room on the tuner and it's screwed all the way down or up?

If that's the case, then back it out to about the middle point, unlock one nut at a time, tune those 2 strings and relock the nut, and now use the micro tuner. and repeat for the others...

The way I tune my guitars:

1: unlock all the nuts
2: put my fine tuners in the middle position
3: tune all my strings a few times until they are perfect
4: lock the nuts
5: divebomb with the bar
6: use the fine tuners to fix the play that may have been in each sting.

after this my guitars will stay in tune for a good while.

Yeah thats happening to me. Ive got my edge III slightly above the routed cavity, and its really hard to get it to tune perfectly without the bridge raising or lowering. And it seems that when I lock it, it drops about a half step or so.
Is there a method to tuning them? Like just doing one at a time and going up? Does it apply to the microtuners aswell?
your strings and springs probably aren't perfectly balanced. If you tune it, and then your bridge isn't level, you need to adjust your springs slightly to compensate for that.

After it is in tune and your bridge is level, then do what has been said above. Make sure you're tuned and level when your fine tuners are in the middle. Then lock the nut, and fine tune.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ok, but one more thing. My springs have like 2 cm between where the screw head goes into the guitar, and the screw itself. Should I just screw it in all the way?
What gauge string are you using? Also, when you get it in tune, is the bridge raised or lowered?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Im not too sure what gauge of strings these are, but if they sorta feel like 10's.
Ive got some 9's sitting aside, should I put those on and adjust it? I normally use 9's on all my guitars. When its in tune, the bridge is raised. How should you tune an edge III or floyd or something like this? I looked in the sticky but it just said tune it or cross tune it. Is there any other ways?
If you're using 9's or 10's, there's no way that the screws should be almost all the way inside the body.

I'd take the screws out most of the way, and then try restringing it from scratch.

If you're not familiar with Floyds, it is tedious at first, until you get used to how they work. But you'll get the hang of it after 1 or 2 times. just tune it up, adjust springs, and keep going back and forth until it's in tune and level.

This could take a couple of hours, so make sure you set time apart to do it.

I remember the first time I ever restrung a floyd, I took all the strings off. It was a nightmare. It took me 3 or 4 hours, not sure exactly. But the next time I did it, it only took me 30 minutes, and now I can do it in about 10 if the strings are the same gauge. You get used to it really fast.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thanks guys, but after countless tuning, I find that the cross tuning method worked in the long run, I just had to find the sweet spot for tension, and then I didnt even need the microtuners. I think my problem was that I kept on forgetting to loosen them before I tuned.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Here's your problem. See, a guitar tech/repairman told me once that you shouldn't lock it at the nut. What you do is just tighten nut square things, so they're resting on top of the strings but not locking them. Then use the tuning pegs to tune it like normal. Ever since I've followed that guy's advice, I've NEVER had any trouble with tuning.

In doing this, what's the point of a locking nut? I've just tried it, it only makes things worse. But that was expected, when you do this you're completely defeating the purpose of a locking nut.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Yeah, that's bollocks....sounds like a lazy tech to me.

What's the point in having a locking nut to lock the strings if you don't lock it?

Lock the nut, use fine tuners...that's how the bridge was designed and that's how everyone else does it, don't be hoodwinked by lazy guitar techs
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com