is it a pointless technique or well worth learning?? let the discussion begin!! lol
Tokai SG in Ebony

Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top with Honeyburst Finish

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
I'm a 'single-cut slut'...gotta go with the EC-1000.
Learning to play slap gave me a lot more enjoyment from playing the bass than if I hadn't bothered.

I'd recommend learning it to every bass player.
If music was the food of love I'd be a fat romantic slob.
extremely well worth learning or else classics like the immigrant song will sound dull !!!
it gets you tons of chicks.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
fair point
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
Quote by iamflipbaby
fair point

My bassist makes chicks swoon doing some silly little popping, and he gets to go home with the hotter girls than me usually . He also has bad teeth, a bad haircut, and has moles all over his face. So he's no Fabio.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
lol
Tokai SG in Ebony

Vox ValveTronix 15

Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Quote by 3volved
God I wish I could slap properly... well, atleast play a few songs or something that contains slapping... all I've tried to learn is "Higher ground" by Red Hot Chilipeppers... I think it's hard :<

Well, maybe in a few years ^^
As a technique, I'd say it's worth it to at least get the basics down. Like anything in music, it doesn't fit every single style, so you may find yourself learning a technique that you'll never use. Still, it's fun and adds some nice percussive flourishes to songs if used correctly.

Personally, I've never really needed to use it, so I never really honed my technique over the nine years I've been playing. I can lay down a little slap groove, but I'm pretty sloppy at it. Of course, I mostly play in praise and worship sets, which gets lumped in with Gospel, and there are so many guys in that scene who play with their thumbs it's almost like I'm expected to know how to do it, which is rather frustrating. At the end of the day, it's just not my style.

The point of my post? At least learn it a bit. If you really want to do it but can't get it, keep practicing, but if it ends up not really being your thing then don't fret about it.