hey, i am completely a beginner , i purchased an electric guitar beginner pack recently and was wondering what sort of practice techniques, and things i should learn before anything. Any ways that you used to get better at playing, also the package came with a intelli gt-820 tuner and i cant seem to figure out how to use it, i sort of know how to tune the guitar like the 5th fret method but if you know how to use that tuner that would be great help.

thanks alot

--Justin--
youll probably having more fun getting in and learning a song, thats what i did. if you dont know how to read tab learn that, just search and youll find an helpful guide.
That are some very vague questions. I'd recommend buying an electric guitar beginner's book and work through it chronologically because you could easily get lost at the beginning.
There should be some which help for getting started.

I can't tell you which book is good unless you're from Germany
Don't know any other guides than German ones ^^
Quote by buckerf
youll probably having more fun getting in and learning a song, thats what i did. if you dont know how to read tab learn that, just search and youll find an helpful guide.

I found, and I still find that learning songs is a lot harder than it seems.. even really "simple" ones heh.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
thanks alot guys, i know how to read tabs i kinda figured that out and yea ill probably consider buying a book and learning from there
I think trying to learn a song from a tab at the very very very beginning wouldn't be such a great idea, because there are so many wrong and horrible tabs out there.
Judging which one is good enough shouldn't be that easy if you know nothing :/
Quote by Blutrot
I think trying to learn a song from a tab at the very very very beginning wouldn't be such a great idea, because there are so many wrong and horrible tabs out there.
Judging which one is good enough shouldn't be that easy if you know nothing :/

good point ill probably just go buy a book to learn that first
You dont need a book to learn tabs, its pretty damn straight forward really. Just go have a look at some.

The 6 lines represent the 6 strings of the guitar, the top line is ALWAYS the high E, and the bottom line the low E. The numbers you see represent the frets.

The one thing with tabs is that they usually dont indicate any kind of timing and you just have to figure it out. At first it was pretty hard for me, but as you learn more and practice more it becomes a lot easier.

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
Last edited by glenthemann at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by glenthemann
You dont need a book to learn tabs, its pretty damn straight forward really. Just go have a look at some.

The 6 lines represent the 6 strings of the guitar, the top line is ALWAYS the high E, and the bottom line the low E. The numbers you see represent the frets.

The one thing with tabs is that they usually dont indicate any kind of timing and you just have to figure it out. At first it was pretty hard for me, but as you learn more and practice more it becomes a lot easier.

"Maybe" its desirable to learn all the basics and maybe some theory so that you dont end up looking at tabs which cover mostly 1/4 of a song with wrong and missing notes, all day, not knowing what you are actually doing ;D

tabs are cool and can be a good source for quick access to some songs or song parts, but imo you have to have a little knowledge before you can use them in a proficient way. For example as a beginner you probably won't know which fingerings to use best which can lead to bad technique habits.
Last edited by Blutrot at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by Blutrot
"Maybe" its desirable to learn all the basics and maybe some theory so that you dont end up looking at tabs which cover mostly 1/4 of a song with wrong and missing notes, all day, not knowing what you are actually doing ;D

tabs are cool and can be a good source for quick access to some songs or song parts, but imo you have to have a little knowledge before you can use them in a proficient way. For example as a beginner you probably won't know which fingerings to use best which can lead to bad technique habits.

Oh dont get me wrong, you are most definitely right. But as a beginner, you gotta start having some fun.

They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
Quote by glenthemann
Oh dont get me wrong, you are most definitely right. But as a beginner, you gotta start having some fun.

and that's right, too. Probably you have to combine all that was said ^^
I just remembered and nowadays I regret having spent much time on trying to learn from wrong tabs, but probably it was fun anyway.