Not sure if this is the proper place for this but Im looking for some advice on jamming and being in a band.
Ive been playing for a couple of years but only alone as a bedroom player. Id really love to be in a band but Ive always been nervous about playing with other musicians and very self concious about my own abilities. Earlier in the year I had my first jam in a long time with my brother (who also plays guitar) and his friend (who plays drums) and it wasnt great. I realized that sounding good noodling all by yourself and sounding good with others are two very different things and this experience kinda set me further back as far as feeling comfortable with other musicians. I was wondering if you had any tips on getting over this and becoming comfortable playing with other people (music really is a team sport and Ill get nowhere all by myself). Sorry for the short story but I truley appretiate any advice you can give me. cheers
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
i am kinda like this but some guy told once "when you play, whether its alone of with other friends, you should really relax itll help alot, dont even think about their opinion just have fun" and i tryed it and hey i played much smoother and the rest of the band thought i was better

weird huh? thats what i thought and it works
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
oh and i saw that you live in canada where would that be? cuz im in canada also ive been wanting to start a band so pm me if your not older than 15 and wanna jam out one day.(im 14 and i play guitar i like metal all the way to soft rock)
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à

The only way to get over being shy and self conscious is to get a feel for jamming with other people. Or at least that's what I did. Plus relax and just have fun!
Splawn Quickrod
Various Pedals
PRS Custom 22
Ibanez RG560
American Standard Strat
Stick to simple blues based stuff when jamming with other people, always a good bet, always fun, I dont enjoy playing it to myelf though.
Quote by guitarscreams
oh and i saw that you live in canada where would that be? cuz im in canada also ive been wanting to start a band so pm me if your not older than 15 and wanna jam out one day.(im 14 and i play guitar i like metal all the way to soft rock)

Im between brantford and kitchener ontario right now but hopefully toronto in a year and maayyybe Banff alberta for a bit in between. Ill be 20 in september so I dont satisfy your age range, sorry.
So pretty much what I have to do is just go for it head first eh? Im hoping if i kinda explain that i dont have much experience jamming then people will give me a bit of guidence and wont expect me to be perfect right away. The other thing is the music scene here is far from what I like and want to play so even if i wasnt a pussy about jamming with people, itd be hard to find like-minded musicians anyway.
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
It's good that you know you're not sounding as good playing with other people as you'd hope to be. It means you're listening to yourself. Playing music with other musicians is a skill of it's own, at it can mostly by improved by playing with other musicians, asking them questions and learning. Jamming along with the radio is a handy way to do it as well.

So just hook up with some other guys, through craigslist, or catch up with your friends again. Try to figure out EXACTLY what you don't like about how you're playing, and try to address these issues.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
Im between brantford and kitchener ontario right now but hopefully toronto in a year and maayyybe Banff alberta for a bit in between. Ill be 20 in september so I dont satisfy your age range, sorry.
So pretty much what I have to do is just go for it head first eh? Im hoping if i kinda explain that i dont have much experience jamming then people will give me a bit of guidence and wont expect me to be perfect right away. The other thing is the music scene here is far from what I like and want to play so even if i wasnt a pussy about jamming with people, itd be hard to find like-minded musicians anyway.

well if your 20 and you dont smoke then sure id jamm with you but im in the ottawa region so idk if thats too far?
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood

Quote by ThatGuy153à

hahah a little too far, Ill hit ya up if Im ever in the neighbourhood
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
^How is it relevant to jamming whether he smokes or not?!?

Anyway, getting a 'band' together takes a long time, we're talking months and years sometimes. Be patient, and take every possible opportunity in the beginning. And be a self-starter, especially as a guitar player. You need to get the others motivated and be persistent.
Well,no better way to get through this than practice.Try a couple of repeat sessions with your brother and his drummer friend,try until you get comfortable with them.Try to keep it really simple when you start,basic rythm playing or as mentioned above basic blues stuff and then work your way to it.
man I was in your same boat. Well I still am...I went on craigslist and played with a lot of people. Some people blew me away....but I found some guys at about my skill level and we have fun.

I suggest just getting out there and doing it. CL is a good place to find musicians.
My Music! Click to hear!
Gear
Lefty 2003 MIM Strat w/Lace Sensors
Lefty Ovation Celeb
Lefty Epi SG G400

Peavey Encore 65 Tube
Peavey Envoy 110 SS

Boss CS-3
Boss DD-3
Vintage DOD Flanger
MT-2 (yuck)
Big Muff Pi
Boss RC-2 Loop Pedal
Quote by User_Name336
i live in kitchener if thats any help!

if you dont smoke maybe we can get together!

ooh maybe! itll depend on my schooling situation and where i can find work but if i end up there ill get in touch
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
Im trying to get into humber as soon as i possibly can, so ill be in toronto. prolly not gunna work out, it was nice of you to offer though!
My Gear:

Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for: