I'm trying to learn how to play the piano (by myself) and I just can't by the life of me read sheet music even half decently. Is it okay to write the notes on top of the dot in order to make it easier? I can figure them out if I think a little bit about it
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
Lots of people might disagree but I'd encourage it.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Don't. Just keep practicing it and you'll learn how to read the notes quicker in my opinion. Besides, if you write them out you may play the wrong octaves.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I took lessons for about ten years and if I remember correctly that was a method my instructor used to help me learn sheet music when I a beginner. So I say go for it. After a couple weeks or so try reading music without the help.
let me try out an example. I'm trying to play this http://www.zebrakeys.com/pdf/greensleeves.pdf

Are the first notes: E G/E A/F B/G
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

* hits X button*

http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/note

Helpful stuff for beginners on that sight. Good luck.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ The aeroplane
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ flies high, turns
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ left, looks right.
I'm mixed on this....whenever I write the notes out for my students I find they start to rely on it way too much and start constantly playing in the wrong octave

i'd say it's okay just don't abuse it
I've really gotta practice. Just one more thing. What do the sustain symbols mean after the beggining thingy (I'm portuguese I don't know what it's called in english :P)
Quote by Sinister Waffle

* hits X button*

Our band teacher in middle school actually would make us write the notes in our music. I didn't have to though, cuz I had already been playing trumpet for 2 years
I'm tottaly lost. I thought I knew a little bit about this but now thanks to that exercise someone posted I totally lost.
Quote by Sinister Waffle

* hits X button*

No way, that really hurt my sightreading. It's a bitch at first, but if you stick with it, you can sightread without any problems.
Hmmm maybe I'll do it for my first song and then give it up. Is that fair or should I just not do it at all if I intend on never doing it again?
Quote by Sinister Waffle

* hits X button*

Everyone I know encourages it, soon you'll be able to associate the note with the note name without writing it. It actually helps a lot.

Edit: Keep doing it until you don't need it anymore
So long as you actually look at the music as well as the written letters then it's fine. If you just go by the letters and forget about the music then you're doing more harm than good.

If it helps, an easy way to remember where the notes are on the stave (at least for treble clef) is to remember that the gaps spell out FACE from bottom to top. The lines are of course the remaining notes, EGBDF. You can make up whatever you like to remember that. My old music teacher liked to use "Every Good Boy Deserves Football".

One last thing, the first additional line below the stave is middle C. Just so you get your bearings.

If you write out the notes on the bass and treble clef, middle C is the first line above the bass stave and the first line below the treble stave so it lies right in the middle of the two.
Last edited by Snake_42 at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by JackalUK
No, I'd call that sensible whilst you're still learning

this.

if it helps you read then theres no problem, just don't rely on it
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated