Hi,

Im going to be getting a tattoo and im looking to get some english text translated into arabic script.

the phrase is "Rise with the tides towards divinity".

The one translation I have so far of it is this - ارتفاع المد والجزر يقربك للالوهية

Is this correct?
If not please help me out.

Thanks!!
Why get a tattoo in arabic?
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
People will think you a terrorist.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I'm assuming 'divinity' means shark-wave bringing you to your untimely death...

>.>
It is MUCH better to just get a phrase that means the same thing, but is an Arabic phrase because it is already in the thought of an Arab. The whole language is set up differently, so translating might not make sense, even if it is translated 'correctly'. You can translate the phrase, "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse," into Arabic but it wouldn't make sense. (Well, it would make some sense, I'm pretty sure there is, "I'm so hungry I could eat the camel," not joking).

"Rise with the tides towards divinity"

The first hint is to put it in grammar that makes sense in the Arabic.
"Rise towards divinity (with the tides)"

then you would look up the words
(to) rise - verb ; صعد , which is literally 'to rise' as in like go up a hill (I'm not sure which form to use, either I or IV. I is the root and IV is a transitive)
towards - preposition ; الى , which is 'to'
the divinity - noun ; I would put الله because it makes the most sense to me in the language, but this book says الوهية means 'divine power' or 'divinity'
with - preposition ; مع
the tides - noun ; الامواج , the waves

(I'll edit with my best translations for the words in a few minutes or so. it will take a bit of time because our handy dandy only goes from arabic to english).
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Jul 13, 2010,
this is another option i've come up with

مع ارتفاع المد والجزر نحو الألوهية
Quote by wizards?
Honestly? That's going to look very, very generic and cliche.

Just saying

More interesting than tribals at least.
My dad speaks arabic...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Nicholai91
Its just a part of a tattoo.
not getting just that phrase

Is this the rest of the tat?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
So if you follow my post, I came up with

يصعد الى الوهية مع الامواج

which is literally translated to, "He rises towards divinity with the waves," but I must remind you that I am at like a kindergartener's reading level. I would just stick to something you know or get a bunch of Arabs to help you and compare the results (like at least a dozen). Better yet, ask them for an Arabic phrase that means the same thing.

foodit: I had the word correctly the first time, but not in this post, for some reason.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by lordofthefood1
So if you follow my post, I came up with

يصعب الى الوهية مع الامواج

which is literally translated to, "He rises towards divinity with the waves," but I must remind you that I am at like a kindergartener's reading level. I would just stick to something you know or get a bunch of Arabs to help you and compare the results (like at least a dozen). Better yet, ask them for an Arabic phrase that means the same thing.

You've got the right idea, but the verb you have there comes from the root "to be difficult." To this point I've never seen it used as a verb, only as an adjective or a noun. The verb you were going for is يصعد, but that has a meaning closer to "climb" than to "rise."

I'm not really sure the phrase would make any sense translated into Arabic, honestly. That being said, it would make more sense to use the word الله, meaning God, as opposed to الوهية. In Arabic, God is a much more commonly used word for a variety of concepts regarding divinity and whatnot than any other specific word.
Last edited by madbasslover at Jul 13, 2010,
The trick is to writing it in English and turn it upside down. That's how Arabic works.
Been in Japan since August, no fucking money left!
Quote by madbasslover

I'm not really sure the phrase would make any sense translated into Arabic, honestly. That being said, it would make more sense to use the word الله, meaning God, as opposed to الوهية. In Arabic, God is a much more commonly used word for a variety of concepts regarding divinity and whatnot than any other specific word.

الله means Allah, he is the god of islam, so it doesnt mean god, it is just refering to the god of islam.
الوهية actually is the right translationg to divinity.

@OP: the phrase is not really translatable to arabic, even if you succeeded it still wont make sense.

btw, not all muslims are arabs, and not all arabs are muslims, the majority of the muslims in the world are actually from asian countries like indonesia, india, pakistan, etc ...

edit: btw i am arab, and i actually know my language
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
Last edited by d(^o^)b at Jul 14, 2010,
You should always trust people that your tattoo is being translated correctly.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

وإنني أتمسك قضيبي في أفواه القردة.

I like this phrase much more.
Schecter Hellraiser C7 FR/Bareknuckle Cold Sweat/Liquifire
Godin A12 - For Sale
1991 EBMM Silhouette
Emperor 2x12

7+>6, ERG Legion

Like going fast?
Quote by shaggydogJV
وإنني أتمسك قضيبي في أفواه القردة.

I like this phrase much more.

/facepalm

never use google translate,

I thought this would be another thread about google translator making amusing mistakes.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by d(^o^)b
/facepalm

never use google translate,

indeed.

But I agree...generally English phrases translated into Arabic don't make a lot of sense, and are funny to laugh at whenever something has Arabic subtitles.

If you really want it though, I think the best translation would be:

ارتفع مع المد و الجزر نحو الوهية
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Last edited by Firenze at Jul 14, 2010,
Also, I'd just like to point out that people won't think he's a terrorist because tattoos are forbidden in Islam.
Catch me,
heal me,
Lift me back up to the Sun
I choose to live
Learn the language first, get the tattoo as a reward. That way you won't be an ignorant douche.
Quote by mynamesedson
I asked my son he said nothing but he just asked me he wants a psyachatrist (spelling?) Because he heard voices calling out his name. What a freak.

Control your life through insanity.

Igneuspentheism
Quote by Firenze

indeed.

But I agree...generally English phrases translated into Arabic don't make a lot of sense, and are funny to laugh at whenever something has Arabic subtitles.

If you really want it though, I think the best translation would be:

ارتفع مع المد و الجزر نحو الوهية

true, this is probably the best translation, but it still doesnt make alot of sense in arabic,

Quote by Firenze
Also, I'd just like to point out that people won't think he's a terrorist because tattoos are forbidden in Islam.

And you think people that would assume he's a terrorist because he has a tattoo in Arabic would know this?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by SteveHouse
And you think people that would assume he's a terrorist because he has a tattoo in Arabic would know this?

true

Quote by madbasslover
You've got the right idea, but the verb you have there comes from the root "to be difficult." To this point I've never seen it used as a verb, only as an adjective or a noun. The verb you were going for is يصعد, but that has a meaning closer to "climb" than to "rise."

Sorry, I typed wrong! I meant to put د end, not ب. I heard Saabs don't sell well in Arabic speaking countries due to it being phonetically the same as the root difficult. And as I said in my earlier post, I thought it would make more sense to just put الله.

Quote by d(^o^)b
الله means Allah, he is the god of islam, so it doesnt mean god, it is just refering to the god of islam.
الوهية actually is the right translationg to divinity.

@OP: the phrase is not really translatable to arabic, even if you succeeded it still wont make sense.

btw, not all muslims are arabs, and not all arabs are muslims, the majority of the muslims in the world are actually from asian countries like indonesia, india, pakistan, etc ...

edit: btw i am arab, and i actually know my language

Every Christian Arab I know refers to their God as الله and all of my textbooks state this as well, so I don't know where you are coming with that.
Now say his name.....
Quote by lordofthefood1

Every Christian Arab I know refers to their God as الله and all of my textbooks state this as well, so I don't know where you are coming with that.

you are mistaken my friend,
they might refer to god as Allah just because they got used to hearing that, we usually translate god to Allah in arabic just because the majority of arabs are muslims and in islam we only have one god,
but just because people translate like that it doesnt mean it is right my friend,

btw where are you from?