Hey everyone, I'm new to this forum. But I've been using the UG tab section for quite some time. It's great, thanks.

Now I'm here to put my mind at ease and to experience (maybe) some "aaaah...." moments.

All newbies are allowed to post questions, I could edit them in here and I'll edit in all answers aswell. Maybe we'll have a library of questions and answers.

What's a Chromatic scale? How does it differ from other scales (IE pentatonic major)?

What's a scale? What do I do with it?

A B chromatic scale is all the notes played one by one starting on the B & ending on B.

A scale is a sequence of notes.

With a scale you can make chord progressions, melodys, improvise, basically any compositional things use scales.

A Chromatic scale is a scale that uses every note.

in tab : E-0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-etc.

What's the difference between minor and majors? (IE - Gmaj or Gmin)

For the most part, major means happy, and minor means sad.

What's pitch?

How do I distinguish what notes I'm playing? Is it by practicing pitch?

Pitch is how high or low the note is.

Pitch is a certain note basically. There are 12 pitches.

What's "Phrasing" when talking about music?

I'm not sure what I'm really asking, but just something I've thought about.
If we look at this link.

For example, if I strum the CHORD F. And after that I pick the G string on the 10th fret. Is that the same?
It's not named like, F10 or something?

One's a note, the other's a chord but they are in the same key.

Sheet music and reading notes? How do I go about learning it? Are there any sites that would get me started? If so, what sites?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/intro_to_reading_and_playing_sheet_music.html

What's sweeping?

What are arpeggios?

I've been watching the forums alittle. But I can't really find any good compilation of intermediate guides.
I'd also like to see the absolute basics. To see if I ever missed anything. I learned playing (what I know) by myself and internet. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks alot in advance!!
Last edited by Populus at Jul 13, 2010,
OMG CAN WE GET A TL;DR UP IN HERE????

but on a serious note
1) Chromatic Scales use all half steps. In other words an E chromatic scale would be, all on your E string frets: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12
2)A scale is a sequence of notes.
3)With a scale you can make chord progressions, melodys, improvise, basically any compositional things use scales.
4) A major scale has a major 3rd and 7th and a minor scale has a minor 3rd and 7th.
5) Pitch is a certain note basically. There are 12 pitches.

I have to go restring my guitar and go to sleep so I can't answer right now but If you want send me a message and I'll be glad to answer more questions tommorow.
Quote by Populus
What's a Chromatic scale? How does it differ from other scales?

A Chromatic scale is a scale that uses every note.

in tab : E-0-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-etc.

What's a scale? What do I do with it?

A Scale is an arrangement of notes that have a special relationship with each other

What's the difference between minor and majors? (IE - Gmaj or Gmin)

For the most part, major means happy, and minor means sad.

What's pitch? How do I practice listening by pitch? (From my understanding, pitch is when you distinguish notes by ear)

Pitch is how high or low the note is.

How do I distinguish what notes I'm playing? Is it by practicing pitch?

It takes practice

Phrasing is the way you play.

For example, if I strum the CHORD F. And after that I pick the G string on the 10th fret. Is that the same?

One's a note, the other's a chord

Notesheets and reading notes? How do I go about learning them? Are there any sites that would get me started? If so, what sites?

You mean sheet music. There are some lessons on this site.

Okay, so I learned a few scales. What do I do with them?

|------5--8---------------------------------------------
|------------5--6--7------------------------------------
|---------------------5--7------------------------------
|----------------------------5--7--8--------------------
|--------------------------------------5--8-------------
|----------------------------------------------5----8---
Here's one I know. I don't remember what kind scale it was. Or what note it was in.

You probably mean what key it is in. A key is a selection of notes. That particular one is in A minor or C major (they're basically the same) with a note out of key (the 7 of the 5-6-7)
I also don't know WTF that scale is.

I've been watching the forums alittle. But I can't really find any good compilation of intermediate guides.
I'd also like to see the absolute basics. To see if I ever missed anything. I learned playing (what I know) by myself and internet. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Check out ZeGuitarist's Ultimate guide to guitar.

I hope this isn't a huge troll
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Last edited by Dream Floyd at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by salgala2000
text

1. So an E scale in Chromatic would be just playing further down the neck? On the Emaj string? (the thick string, not the thin)
B scale in chromatic would be the same? Why does that sound so utterly useless?

3. What do you mean by chord progressions? So let's say I'm playing a few chords, E, G and A.
If I would want to throw in a lick there. Would I pull off an A scale (because it's the last chord played) in pentatonic major (for example)?

Maybe I'm looking too deep in simple things?

4. Would you mind explaining further? Do you mean 3rd and 7th notes played in a scale?

5. Could you give me an example?

1. Phrasing is the way you play.

2. One's a note, the other's a chord

Notesheets and reading notes? How do I go about learning them? Are there any sites that would get me started? If so, what sites?

3. You mean sheet music. There are some lessons on this site.

Okay, so I learned a few scales. What do I do with them?
|------5--8---------------------------------------------
|------------5--6--7------------------------------------
|---------------------5--7------------------------------
|----------------------------5--7--8--------------------
|--------------------------------------5--8-------------
|----------------------------------------------5----8---
Here's one I know. I don't remember what kind scale it was. Or what note it was in.

4. You probably mean what key it is in. A key is a selection of notes. That particular on is in A minor, C major. with a note out of key (the 7 of the 5-6-7)

Could someone point me in the right direction?

5. Check out ZeGuitarist's Ultimate guide to guitar.

1. How do you mean? Is it how I strum?

2. Ah, yes. Ofcourse.
But it's in the same key nonetheless?

3. What should I search for? I've been looking around (not furiously) but couldn't find it. So didn't search 100% I guess. I'll look some more!

4. Yeah. What key it's in! (English is not my 1st language) Is it in both A minor and C major? How does that work?

5. Will do! Thanks!
Last edited by Populus at Jul 13, 2010,
Quote by Populus
1. So an E scale in Chromatic would be just playing further down the neck? On the Emaj string? (the thick string, not the thin)
B scale in chromatic would be the same? Why does that sound so utterly useless?

A B chromatic scale is all the notes played one by one starting on the B, you get the idea.

3. What do you mean by chord progressions? So let's say I'm playing a few chords, E, G and A.

A chord progression is an arrangement of chords

If I would want to throw in a lick there. Would I pull off an A scale (because it's the last chord played) in pentatonic major (for example)?

Technically you could play whatever you want. But you would want to find the key of the piece, and play in that key. In this case, the key could be E, A or some other things.

You would play (for example) a E or A major pentatonic.
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Populus
4. Would you mind explaining further? Do you mean 3rd and 7th notes played in a scale?

They are intervals. Look at some lessons.

5. Could you give me an example?

Any note you want is a pitch.
Quote by theogonia777

Quote by Born A Fool
1. A B chromatic scale would start and end on a B note.
3. A chord progression is more or less playing a couple of chords, such as E, G, A.
To do a solo lick, you would use the key the progression is in. That is usually the first chord in the progression, so use E for this particular one.
4. I'm not so good at intervals, but yes, I think so. The 3rd note of a major scale is a half-step up from the 3rd note of the same minor scale, and same with the 7th.
5. A note is a pitch. An E is a pitch. A G# is a pitch.

My advice to you: get a teacher. He will be able to answer all of these questions for you, and much better than some of us can.
Quote by Trowzaa
I can't look at anything starting with BB and not thinking big busty.
Big Busty Queefing.
Thanks everyone for the answers! I'll put the unanswered questions or the ones I would like to know more about in bold in the main post!

Quote by LesPaulGuy1

My advice to you: get a teacher. He will be able to answer all of these questions for you, and much better than some of us can.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to afford one even if I had the possibility for one. I live on the countryside, there's no guitar teacher around I'm afraid.