So I've been playing guitar for 3 years now and I find myself mainly playing songs. I know a little about theory (major & minor, chords).
But learning guitar is certainly confusing. My ultimate goal is to become a progressive metal guitarist. My favorite band is Dream Theater, and I like bands like Tool, Guns N' Roses, Nevermore, Megadeth, Circus Maximus and other such bands, though out of those, I can only play Tool and GnR.
These days when I try to learn to become a better guitarist, I look for suggestions on what to learn next, from websites, books, other players or even a teacher. The problem is, this does not offer clarity, or direction; it only really confuses me further. One source will say "Learn CAGED and then arpeggios" while another will say "Learn every mode for the major scale"; a conflicting view will tell me to "Learn every mode for the pentatonic scale first and then learn to improvise". Some even tell me to just sit and play what I feel like. In the end, I just end up learning songs and not really improving.

So, I need a program to put me on the road to becoming a metal guitarist! Whether it be learning metal rhythm first or simply going on to the all the modes of the major scale to improvise, I need a process, some steps, a practice routine.

Thanks!
ZeGuitarist's Ultimate Guide to Guitar.

I love Dream Theater and Circus Maximus. Check out Aghora.
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Oh thanks, and thanks for the band suggestion. I googled the guide, but I'm not sure if it's the right one.