Hi guys,

Right now, I'm really just curious...I most likely won't be buying till April of next year some time, but I just can't get this off my mind.

I will be upgrading my VT50 sometime around then, and I just need some ideas...

I will have $600-$800 USD to spend on a new amp, and it NEEDS to be tube. Not modeling tube like mine now, but real tubes.

A low wattage tube stack is ideal, but combos are defiantly out there as well. I would be gigging in small gigs, but it might be able to get mic'ed, not sure though.

Styles I play: Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Coheed & Cambria, Guns N Roses, Alter Bridge, Pink Floyd, Eagles. So I like lots of classic rock, but gain is nice. However, I do have pedals, so I may be all set there.

I need me my sparkling cleans, and good overdrive is great as well, but heavy heavy distortion is NOT needed.

I have heard good things about the Jet City amps, and then there are always the Fender series, but I do like size. Size does matter .

Reverb would be nice to have on the amp, but hey, you tell me what you think.

So what do you thing, GG&A!!!

EDIT: Some small stacks I noticed...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Egnater-Tweaker-Series-Head-and-Tweaker-112X-Half-Stack-424080-i1527243.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Night-Train-NT15H-V112NT-Half-Stack-889394-i1473327.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-Artisan-Series-212-120W-2x12-Guitar-Extension-Cabinet-773539-i1426139.gc

Buy used and get a cab...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Orange-Amplifiers-Tiny-Terror-Series-TT15-15W-Tube-Mini-Amp-Head-105953806-i1527054.gc

And for combos...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-Custom-AC15C1-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-105806491-i1517163.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-AC30VR-Valve-Reactor-2x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp-584528-i1503861.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blackstar-Venue-Series-HT-Club-HT-40-40W-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-423768-i1521959.gc
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Jul 13, 2010,
Egnater Tweaker, Rebel 20 or Rebel 30 would all be great amps to look into.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ Egnater makes cool amps

I like my Vox Night Train.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Egnater FTW. My Tweaker will be here on Thursday. Can't wait. Every time I walked into GC I just got sucked into it. So much versatility. Give it a try man, you will be very happy.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Peavey Classic 30.

Good cleans, good distortion. Can do a lot of those bands well, especially if you stick an OD in front.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
I'd get an Egnater Rebel 20/30 or an AC15. The AC15 isn't for everyone. The Egnater is.
just know that if you drop $600 on the rebel 30 then you will need another nice chunk of change to buy a nice cab.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
either egnater or orange
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Jet City Amps JCA100 and a used Mesa or Avatar 212. Musician's Friend is having a deal on the heads where you get a $100 rebate when you buy one before July 15th, so it's effectively $620 brand new.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Jet City JCA20H and a nice 2x12 - Since you said low wattage... and I'm assuming you need a cab in that budget
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Go used, you'll get twice the amp for your money.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks guys, sorry for the late response. I didn't get a reply untill about an hour and a half later last night, so I finished watching the All-star game and went to bed. And for this morning and afternoon, I toured Indiana University! haha well anyways...

First off, I WILL be buying used, I always do. And the 6-800 dollars includes a cab.

For the Egnater, are you guys talking about the half stack?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Egnater-Rebel-Half-Stack-863005-i1437908.gc

EDIT: What do you guys think of the Marshall Haze head? Im watching a shootout of the two against each other
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Last edited by diceksox1809 at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by diceksox1809

lol that's just a cab dood, no amplifying going on there for $600.

I'd grab a Blues Deluxe/Blues Junior/AC15C1/AC30C1 combo if you can afford it, then A/B it with your VT50 (set for gain to suit the GnR and stuff). Unless your selling the VT. Personally I think that would be a decent setup for the moment, unless you can save up cash for something that's not a one-trick pony.
Quote by Tedward
lol that's just a cab dood, no amplifying going on there for $600.

I'd grab a Blues Deluxe/Blues Junior/AC15C1/AC30C1 combo if you can afford it, then A/B it with your VT50 (set for gain to suit the GnR and stuff). Unless your selling the VT. Personally I think that would be a decent setup for the moment, unless you can save up cash for something that's not a one-trick pony.

Haha, silly me.

And I intend to keep onto the VT50.

Explain to me the A/B?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by Cathbard
Go used, you'll get twice the amp for your money.

this is really the only thing I can input here. All the amps mentioned are good ones.
Quote by diceksox1809
Explain to me the A/B?

A/B Boxes are pedals used for switching between 2 amps. One input, two outputs. "A" plays through the amp on the left output, "B" on the right. Select your amp with the footswitch and that's it.
Quote by handbanana
this is really the only thing I can input here. All the amps mentioned are good ones.

Trust me I know. haha. I can't ever see myself buying a new guitar or amp again.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by Seref
A/B Boxes are pedals used for switching between 2 amps. One input, two outputs. "A" plays through the amp on the left output, "B" on the right. Select your amp with the footswitch and that's it.

And you think the VT50 will have better gain then the other two? That scares me.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by Seref

this basically.

So what you could do is set up some nice tones on the VT50. If you have a footswitch (would help a ton if you did), set up a funky effect on clean or dirty and maybe the best tone you can manage for really high gain, w/e you want. Run your guitar into an A/B box, and have one cable go to the VT50. Have the B side of the pedal run through your pedalboard into an amp like a Blues Junior or something for really pristine cleans, and use pedals for tube crunch.

Right there you've got 3-4 channels like nothing, depending how you have your VT50 set up. If you were playing a lot of higher gain stuff I'd say definitely get a higher gain tube amp, but if cleans are most important to you, the VT50 will definitely sound good enough to satisfy your practical gain needs for a show or something, and be loud enough as well.

As far as a new amp goes, I'd probably try to find a used Fender DRRI. Love the sound with single coils (specifically my Dano's lipstick tube pickups )