i just wanna know if there's anyone else who uses pretty large string guages besides me.... I use: 15,20,24p,52,75,95 this is for a 25.5 in. scale.... I tune down to Drop A#(Bb) tho too. I can bend them quite well actually
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
13-56 are all I ever need for Drop A#. I play in that range too

Biggest I ever went were 60s. Didn't like at all.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
biggest ive even gone is 52 but i wanna try 60's just to keep for a drop tune explorer!
Quote by C_majzer
i just wanna know if there's anyone else who uses pretty large string guages besides me.... I use: 15,20,24p,52,75,95 this is for a 25.5 in. scale.... I tune down to Drop A#(Bb) tho too. I can bend them quite well actually

I guess for drop tuning that works. You really should be playing a baritone.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I've got 12's on my kona. It's tuned to something low, I don't remember what

I'm thinking about moving down to 11's or maybe even 10's on it and tuning up a bit, is there a thread that will help me in setting it up?
I usually play with 11's but I want to try 12's
i used 13's once but they were flat wound and I had no idea what that was when I bought them, big disappointment.
My problem with thick strings has always come from my guitars with whammy bars, making it impossible to get them into tune without adding extra springs on the whammy bar and thus making it useless.
Since I like to actually be able to play my guitar, I use .10 to .52's in D standard and Drop C
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
.14-70 in drop G#, .10-.70 in drop G# on a 7 string.

I usually stick with .10-.52 in drop C#, add a .70 on my 7 string for the low G#.

Nothing too crazy.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
The heaviest I've ever went were .12's for drop C. Too heavy, didn't like it... bending up a full step was very hard. Ended up playing those strings in C standard/Drop A# until I got new strings, but they worked well for that tuning.
10-52. only been playing for 2 years though. Also: can't find d'addario's in my size around here... want to pit against ernie balls.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Quote by LolCatGuitar
10-52 also, ridiculously heavy, only played in Drop B.
Now I just upgraded to 9-42, and there amazing!

This man would like to have a word with you.

And to contribute I have 11s on my main guitar, and I'm moving up to 12s next time I buy strings because these are starting to feel like rubberbands.
Also I would like to say that I play halfstep down.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
10-46 on my Strat and 11-49 on my SG.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

This man would like to have a word with you.

And to contribute I have 11s on my main guitar, and I'm moving up to 12s next time I buy strings because these are starting to feel like rubberbands.
Also I would like to say that I play halfstep down.

you can't handle 12s. j/k tiny asian hands.lolz.

e standard
24.75 - 12-17- 24-32-44-60
25.0 - 12-16-24-30-44-60
25.5 - 11-15-22-30-42-58

a standard
28.625 - 16-22-30-42-58-80
Quote by AcousticMirror
you can't handle 12s. j/k tiny asian hands.lolz.

e standard
24.75 - 12-17- 24-32-44-60
25.0 - 12-16-24-30-44-60
25.5 - 11-15-22-30-42-58

a standard
28.625 - 16-22-30-42-58-80

lol
My low E is a 54, and I can bend it with almost no effort, so I don't think I'll have a problem.
How are those 25" scale guitars?
I've never played one, so I'm just curious.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
lol
My low E is a 54, and I can bend it with almost no effort, so I don't think I'll have a problem.
How are those 25" scale guitars?
I've never played one, so I'm just curious.

I think only prs really uses them for all of their guitars. It's interesting. It took me a while to figure out how to get used to the sound, they don't sound like gibsons or fenders because the harmonic node is in a different place. I didn't particularly like the custom 24 I had, I thought it sounded sterile no matter what pickups I put in there. My hollowbody spruce is great though. I actually prefer a 25.5 I think.

I wouldn't do 12s on a 25 or a 25.5 though.
The strings I have on my prs are breaking my fingers.
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
I think only prs really uses them for all of their guitars. It's interesting. It took me a while to figure out how to get used to the sound, they don't sound like gibsons or fenders because the harmonic node is in a different place. I didn't particularly like the custom 24 I had, I thought it sounded sterile no matter what pickups I put in there. My hollowbody spruce is great though. I actually prefer a 25.5 I think.

I wouldn't do 12s on a 25 or a 25.5 though.
The strings I have on my prs are breaking my fingers.

I probably wouldn't like it.
I can't stand playing 25.5 because the sound is too... Clear I guess.
I like short scales because they just sound alot nicer to me. My main guitar is only 24''.
I have one guitar though that's 25.5, and I had 12s on it. That one bends real easy.
It's funny because I have one friend that can't even bend with the strings I use.
He uses a set of 8s on all of his electrics, and he likes them more for his style because they're "better for playing fast"
I'm to heavyhanded for light strings anyways.
Quote by L2112Lif
ya I can't play anything below 11s anymore. I pull all the guitars I try at gc out of tune everytime I go.
I use a light heavy set, but my low E is a .68 I tune to Drop A#. The super heavy low string gives a thicker tone and keeps very tight tension so its not muddy sounding.
I have 10s on my electric which is tuned to E standard, and my acoustic has 12s tuned to D Standard.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by valdean
10-52 all the way.

This.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
13-60 in standard with a little truss adjustment. and i had 14 through 60 one time but i realized that was just silly considering the only time i use the first two strings is for sweeps
I used to use barbed wire for the high E, and a piece of 1/2" rebar for the low E. Tuned a half step up of course
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by C_majzer

Jesus a .95 for an A#? That's BIG! My 7-string's scale is 26.5 inches tuned to A# and the low A# is a .59

Biggest strings I ever played was a set of .62-.10's on my 7-string, tuned to G#.
Quote by CerebralEdge
I use a light heavy set, but my low E is a .68 I tune to Drop A#. The super heavy low string gives a thicker tone and keeps very tight tension so its not muddy sounding.

That's exactly why I do this... phat tone, and POWER too! ...more punch
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Quote by zeek7pc
I used to use barbed wire for the high E, and a piece of 1/2" rebar for the low E. Tuned a half step up of course

LOL... if you don't mind sir, I'd like to take some of this out of context, and use it for the a quote when post or something like that. Cheers!
Tried 12s on my Strat once and could never get used to them. I recently put D'Addario EXL115 11-49s on it and never looked back. I use a fairly wide range of tunings, from standard all the way down to Drop A# (I don't tune this low very often though- only time I do is when I'm learning/playing a Breaking Benjamin song that's tuned as such). The EXL115s work great for me, and I have yet to break one.
Quote by Kikuta
Sell your Valvestate to brainless 17 year old for mighty sums of dollars. Purchase a JMP for a pittance from a desperate seller. Masturbate to pictures of yourself and your new, real Marshall. Eternal glory awaits.

i use power slinkys 11s on a les Paul with bigsby in standard tuning as i like to battle my guitar
when i play bluesy stuff
but playing music of a heavier persuasion alot live it gets tiresome and not as fun

i want to change to 10 52 though next time as i drop tune often from standard drop D and C
its a bitter sweet symphony this life try to make ends meet your a slave to money then you die