My band are recording some home demo's soon. My friend has an SM58 he is letting me borrow, so I was wondering whether I should mic my amp (Blackstar HT5 ) with it or play my amp on clean and use the line out to make a fake DI signal and use the Acmebargig Shred VST. I don't have an interface or any preamps, so I would just be using the line in on my PC's stock soundcard.

I'm wondering what would give the best results with my setup ? I use Reaper. I am not buying any gear, I know I need some kind of interface but I will do that when I have the money haha.

Quote by rootbeerjuice

How are the tonal properties of stop signs, anyway? They're made of aluminum, right?

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Squier Bullet Strat (For modding)
Blackstar HT-5 combo
Boss OS-2

I use Revalver MkII with a cheap guitar-usb cable and it sounds good (get a real interface though, the only reason im using this is because my interface stopped working). I would say DI is your best bet until you get a mic that is good for mic'ing cabs, look into an SM-57 or sennheiser e-609.
I suggest that you plug a cable into the headphones jack of the amp or if you have an line out just plug another cable there and straight into the mix table or into the computer. That is how i record.
Well you can't plug the microphone into your computer without an interface, so...
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
so you want to either
run an sm58 into the line in on your sound card
or
run through your amp's preamp and then through some full amp modelling software

im not sure which will sound better, but im not thinking either is a great idea. well, it really depends where the line out is on the ht-5, but you are probably hitting a good deal of of the preamp. if you were using something like revalver where you could run just a power amp model, well i would prefer that myself.

well, since option 1 wont work since you dont have a preamp, just go with option 2 and try to set your amp as neutral as possible.
I highly suggest holding off till you get an interface. If you don't, I get to say "I Told You So!" when you blow the line in or mic port of your PC.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Thanks for your help. Just remember guys, I'm not releasing this or anything, just seeing how good a quality of a recording I can get at home. I've done the line out thing heaps and it's worked fine, but I found out my friend has the SM58 so I thought it might be a good idea. I might just stick with my normal method till I get some kind of interface

Quote by rootbeerjuice

How are the tonal properties of stop signs, anyway? They're made of aluminum, right?

My Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Squier Bullet Strat (For modding)
Blackstar HT-5 combo
Boss OS-2