This is kind of an extension off my last thread, about new amp vs. new pedal, kind of a conclusion..

Today I finally sold my Epiphone SG Special, Roland Cube 30X, and just a bunch of random sh*t like a gigbag, tuner, etc.. Guy gave me $230 cash no questions asked.

So now I've got about $300 cash.. And from the advice from my last thread, I really checked out the Blackstar HT-5 combo ($399 on Musician's Friend right now) with clips on youtube, I really like it. The tone seems great coming from it.

I've no way to actually physically try the amp out.. So I rely heavily on advice here and clips on YouTube and reviews.

I have my Crate V50 posted right now for $300, expecting to get talked down to like $250 or possibly even lower.. So I could have upwards of ~$500 to spend.

Has anyone here had any experience either owning or playing the HT-5? It's low wattage (A must for me.. The V50 is far too loud), sounds pretty decent, and even has a Celestion speaker stock.. I seriously can't find another amp to compare to this on in the price range.

I don't gig, don't really see myself ever even jamming with a drummer.. I don't really know anyone who plays anything.

So what I'm getting at here:
-Should I get the Blackstar HT-5 as my next amp? This will run me $400 (this is all USD, and I always check CraigsList.. Never see too much in the line of tube amps here)

-With the rest of the money, I'll probably try to upgrade my pedal(s)

-Currently I've only got a Boss DS-1 distortion and Arion DDM-1 Delay. I love my Arion, I got it for free with my Crate from a guy I got it from.. But the DS-1 on the other hand is terrible in my honest opinion. I only use it because it's all I've got.

-What would be good for me (This is considering the OD channel on the HT-5 isn't heavy enough) for either a standalone distortion pedal on the amp's clean channel, or an overdrive (I was thinking just a standard TS-9 or 808?) to give it a little more oomph?

Current gear in sig.. Amp is Crate V50.. Use my Schecter C-1 Elite and LTD H-100, Boss DS-1 and Arion DDM-1.

EDIT: Duh, should of mentioned playing style
-Generally metal, fair amount of gain, think Mastodon, Baroness, Killswitch Engage, Ascendancy-era Trivium, All That Remains, Lamb of God.

-Do a lot of cleans using my delay pedal, so I don't limit myself to metal at all. Though I'll admit I listen to NOTHING clean, so I have nothing to compare tone to.. I don't hear much difference between one amps clean and anothers.. I'm just saying I need a clean channel (And it's a nice addition that the HT-5 has footswitch included.. I need that)
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Jul 13, 2010,
I own an HT-5, and I quite like it. Some things to point out:

-The clean volume is decently lower than what the overdrive channel can get to.
-A lot of people will recommend buying the head and then buying a separate, better cab rather than the stock blackstar ones.
-If doing really brutal stuff, use an OD for sure. Otherwise, I haven't ever really had a problem with the amount of gain, although I don't play all that heavy of stuff. It has a pretty decent amount, I usually don't turn the gain past 1 o clock

I think that's it. It's a good amp, far from the best, but it does well for bedroom settings and whatnot and can still get decently loud.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception
Quote by InfiniteRain
I own an HT-5, and I quite like it. Some things to point out:

-The clean volume is decently lower than what the overdrive channel can get to.
-A lot of people will recommend buying the head and then buying a separate, better cab rather than the stock blackstar ones.
-If doing really brutal stuff, use an OD for sure. Otherwise, I haven't ever really had a problem with the amount of gain, although I don't play all that heavy of stuff. It has a pretty decent amount, I usually don't turn the gain past 1 o clock

I think that's it. It's a good amp, far from the best, but it does well for bedroom settings and whatnot and can still get decently loud.

Nothing brutal, no deathcore/death metal or anything.. Not my style. It doesn't need to be loud, at all.. Strictly bedroom basically. Like I said, I don't really see myself doing this for anymore than personal satisfaction.. But I don't want to sacrifice tone.

I'd rather stick with a combo, because of size, also don't really need the head/cab option because that's more for gigging, isn't it?

Do you have an OD pedal that you use for a boost with this? I'm assuming something simple like an 808 or TS-9 will do pretty good, but I want personal experience from people.
I use it with a Bad Monkey which is a very nice OD for the price, it doesn't sound great with the gain turned up past 10 o clock really, but if you have a guitar with hot humbuckers and max out the gain on the blackstar it should probably be enough for Metalcore, although I would get an OD just to tighten it up.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
I would look for used ones on here to be honest, they are pretty popular so your likely to find one used cheaper
I Have a blackstar HT5 combo and I love it!
It just sounds great! it does high gain pretty well, can emulated that mesa recto sound pretty well as well as thick Marshall sound and everything in between! it certainly has alot of gain on tap!!
I think its a pretty perfect bedroom amp really, thinks like the headphone out and the FX loop are all nice additions, be warned it still is very loud!! I dont get it past about 9 or 10 oclock when playing in my bedroom.

Of course its not perfect so possible concerns:
Its 5 watts so clean headroom is very small, especially if you have pretty hot humbuckers you wont get a sparkly clean fender sound, That said the clean channel cranked sounds awesome, not particuarly clean but I like it. All depends what kinda cleans your after, cleans up pretty well with the volume knob too. Adding reverb which isn't included also adds to the clean sound.

Other issue is the FX loop, having it is great to use delay, verb etc post amp drive. However if you have delay on and switch to the clean channel you will hear a tempoarary increase in volume on the delays, theres youtube vids of it. Not a major issue unless you like to switch channels alot with long delays going on and it can be fairly easily modded, but if your buying a new amp you dont want to mod it straight away!!

I would highly recommend it, fantastic bedroom practice amp and brilliant sounding! I have used it to jam with my brother on drums and it can pull it off. Personally I have no experience of running an OD through it but from what ive heard running one of the many tubescreamer clones in front helps.
Ive got a Blackstar Ht5 with the stock cabs, and I love this thing so much. Yesterday a friend came over with an OD pedal, and when you crank this baby you can play the most brutal stuff ever. I myself don't have an OD pedal, and it is great for Ascendancy even when you don't crank it.

It's ideal for home use, and I don't think you'll regret getting it.

Seeing as you like Ascendancy, you could check out my cover of the solo of Suffocating Sight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2tcrYI1cuQ

Blackstar + HT5 + delay + EMG pickups. And a little wah with the pickslide
Yeah
The blackstar is pretty sweet. The metal tones are "meh" out of it. You could probably get better results with a 10 band EQ in the loop. I boosted mine and it sounded a little better.

I liked the cleans and crunchy/rock tones the best out of it. It has a decent amount of gain, but cranked with just a boost it still left some to be desired. Its a pretty good value though. I played mine out of a 2x12.

For practice, its just so much easier for me to play VST guitars on my computer. It doesn't sound nearly as warm or organic as my HT-5 but its just practice. I get more sounds and its just easier to record.
/rig