alright, so i have a couple of epi sg's, and i love the chunkier neck profile they have. one of my friends has a jackson dinky, so it's neck profile is very different than that of my epi. but when i play on it, i fret out very easily, especially the high e string. i though slim necks were supposed to be easier to play on, but i just found it annoying. is it merely a preference thing and my hands aren't used to it, or am i just retarded?
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
it's preference mostly and it depends on your hands, and how he has his action set etc etc.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
thinner neck =/= more comfortable, or fast or anything anyone says, a thinner neck will better for those who prefer thinner necks, as will a thicker neck to people who prefer thicker necks
Eh.
It's marketing. The majority of people have small or average sized hands, and as a result, thin necks generally feel better and makes them able to move faster, hence why people call them "fast" necks.

Me, I could shake hands with a bear and have it tell me I have big hands, so I like big, fat necks. Thin necks feel like I can snap them in half if I'm angry, and on top of that, especially if it has thin strings, the point of leverage on a thin neck causes me to pull the strings too far. It's all about preference mate, I play better on a fat neck than on a piece of plywood.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
It's all personal preference with thickness of the neck.

I have big hand but I hate thick necks since my hands always cramp up on them.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Thin necks are faster than thicker necks because your hand is less-likely to make contact with it. The speed of a neck simply refers to friction. Thin unfinished necks are the fastest because there's less friction when you move around the neck. That doesn't mean they're more comfortable or better than other necks, it's all personal preference. It really depends on the guitar. From my experience, different profiles work better for certain techniques. If you play with perfect technique, you may prefer a certain kind of neck. But if you play with a looser technique, you may prefer a different neck. That's how it is for me. My style varies greatly depending on the guitar I'm playing and I my abilities are dependent on the guitar.
The Epi neck is actually very average, not chunky. Also, fretting out has nothing to do with neck thickness, that's a problem of a steeper fretboard radius (or in many cases, a guitar simply being set up very poorly, usually due to the owner having unrealistic expecations about how low action can go)
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
It really just depends on your preference. I have a Epiphone SG G400 and I love the bigger neck as well. I cannot play thinner necks for my life.
I pick up pick,
I pick up guitar.
I think of melody.
I think of rhythm
I Strum,
Amp Go Boom.

Quote by JELIFISH19
Thin necks are faster than thicker necks because your hand is less-likely to make contact with it. The speed of a neck simply refers to friction. Thin unfinished necks are the fastest because there's less friction when you move around the neck. That doesn't mean they're more comfortable or better than other necks, it's all personal preference.

+1

Quote by MrFlibble
The Epi neck is actually very average, not chunky. Also, fretting out has nothing to do with neck thickness, that's a problem of a steeper fretboard radius (or in many cases, a guitar simply being set up very poorly

fretting out also happens on frets that arent finished properly
very true. my epi les custom neck is FAR different than regualr gibson necks. ive tried a 50-60 reissue sg (forget what year) and a few les pauls back to back to my epi and there is a difference. the epi is smaller i would say.

it really depends what im playing. i recently aquired a mosrite copy which are known for TINY necks - both thin and narrow. just small all around. and they are 24.5 scale...shorter than a les paul. so pretty much the smallest guitar neck made and i find it to be refreshing. a nice change up.