Page 1 of 2
I kind of doubt anyone will even reply, they aren't well known. But if anyone does listen to the RX Bandits, what's your favorite album?
I like Progress a lot because its really ska-ey but I respect theyre change in musical philosophy and really enjoy ... As the Battle Begun as well. Hard choice...
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by BrianApocalypse
I don't know anything by them, please could anyone recommend some songs to check out?

ew, single songs? u dont wanna sit around for an hour to enjoy a full album?
try the song "...and the battle begun", or "infection,"or "this time," or "breakfast cat," or...see, you can't get the point in 1 song! just check out everything from their last 4 albums.
Quote by TMVATDI
ew, single songs? u dont wanna sit around for an hour to enjoy a full album?
try the song "...and the battle begun", or "infection,"or "this time," or "breakfast cat," or...see, you can't get the point in 1 song! just check out everything from their last 4 albums.

Why would I want to listen to a whole album? I have better things to do, like lift weights.

I guess I could do both at the same time...?
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Why would I want to listen to a whole album? I have better things to do, like lift weights.

I guess I could do both at the same time...?

Yes you could! and you should!
the rx bandits (like many modern progressive bands) blend punk/post-hardcore, alternative rock/post-punk, with elements of elctronica, progressive rock, etc. they're the kind of band where every album...well has a concept but isnt a concept album. you have to listen to the way their melodies beautifully progress from track 1 to track 12. single songs that are about 3 minutes long r for the modern pop-listener, ppl w/ small attention spans, learn from me grasshopper, as my favorite song is 32 minutes long haha
Quote by TMVATDI
single songs that are about 3 minutes long r for the modern pop-listener, ppl w/ small attention spans, learn from me grasshopper, as my favorite song is 32 minutes long haha

Thats really pretentious
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Last edited by RubberPuppiessu at Jul 14, 2010,
I remember hearing a lot about this band a long time ago. I just listened to a couple songs, and didn't really see anything punk or ska about it. Maybe they used to be, I don't know. At best, it sounded vaguely fatwreckish, which doesn't mean anything.
RX Bandits don't resemble punk anymore. Their first few albums were ska, with a bit of pop punk in there. ...And the Battle Begun and Mandala are nowhere near punk. I'd define it as progressive/modern rock, if anything.

Probably my favorite band of the past two years. Their musicianship, theory, and talent is unmatched by any modern rock band out there right now.

Instead of keeping this thread, you should post in this thread I made a month or two ago:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1299185

It gives you a better impression of the band since a lot of punk fans aren't familiar
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
CanNOT stand this band. I don't understand their hype at all.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
Thats really pretentious

Word.
Also, three minute singles are not a "modern pop" phenomenon.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Word.
Also, three minute singles are not a "modern pop" phenomenon.

I was wondering when someone would mention that.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by TMVATDI
Yes you could! and you should!
the rx bandits (like many modern progressive bands) blend punk/post-hardcore, alternative rock/post-punk, with elements of elctronica, progressive rock, etc. they're the kind of band where every album...well has a concept but isnt a concept album. you have to listen to the way their melodies beautifully progress from track 1 to track 12. single songs that are about 3 minutes long r for the modern pop-listener, ppl w/ small attention spans, learn from me grasshopper, as my favorite song is 32 minutes long haha
Aren't they a ska band?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Nah man, that's what ska is: a mixture of all those genres.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by element4433
Aren't they a ska band?

Used to be. Nothing of the sort by now. I'd say their last 4-5 years don't belong in this forum.
the headline thing under my avatar kinda explains my answer, I must say that RX bandit's are probably one of my favourite live bands that i've seen.

lolzedit:

I just read on youtube that someone described them as:
experimental-alternative-groove-based-progressive-knock-your-socks-off-ska-rock.

Sounds about right.
I may not have a brain, gentlemen, but I have an idea...
Last edited by Mr Pringle at Jul 15, 2010,
Quote by Mr Pringle
the headline thing under my avatar kinda explains my answer, I must say that RX bandit's are probably one of my favourite live bands that i've seen.

lolzedit:

I just read on youtube that someone described them as:
experimental-alternative-groove-based-progressive-knock-your-socks-off-ska-rock.

Sounds about right.
That just sounds awful.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
That just sounds awful.

So do the RX Bandits.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
So do the RX Bandits.

Well, they're not for everyone. What are some of the reasons to why you dislike them so much? I'm just curious is all.
Eh, I'm mostly being a jerk.

I haven't heard them in a while, but I remember finding them really, excruciatingly boring at the time.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Honestly, I do think their ska phase was very boring. Their recent stuff is theoretically and kick-assingly very cool, though.

Not to force anything, but if I may recommend a track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHdrCXBYiyk

If you find it boring, then they definitely aren't for you haha. I think it's the most interesting track on their latest album, as far as guitar, melodies/harmonies, and such go. I think the interaction between the guitar and keyboard in the beginning is one of the best moments on the album. And the little falsetto part they randomly launch into around 2:25 is quite cool as well.

Again though, not really punk or ska
Last edited by Greenfinger182 at Jul 16, 2010,
k 1st of all, i do not understand any of the big words being thrown around by all the smart people here. 2ndly, they still have a punk influence (although not as obvious as before), and I put this thread here because I thought if I put it somewhere else people would be like "this goes in punk/ska!!" This probably should've been under progressive or something but I thought people would want me to move it. And thirdly, those who are saying they don't get what's great about the RX Bandits, they're the kind of band that's more for thinking than dancing, people with large attention spans listen to an RX Bandits album the way a professor in literature reads a book.
edit: and i used to think they were hella boring too, i remember when i was 1st itnroduced to them, the only song i liked was "Mastering the List," but then when I started to listen more they ended up being 1 of my favorite bands.
Last edited by TMVATDI at Jul 16, 2010,
Quote by TMVATDI
k 1st of all, i do not understand any of the big words being thrown around by all the smart people here. 2ndly, they still have a punk influence (although not as obvious as before), and I put this thread here because I thought if I put it somewhere else people would be like "this goes in punk/ska!!" This probably should've been under progressive or something but I thought people would want me to move it. And thirdly, those who are saying they don't get what's great about the RX Bandits, they're the kind of band that's more for thinking than dancing, people with large attention spans listen to an RX Bandits album the way a professor in literature reads a book.

Dont be such a pretentious, condescending prick and maybe then posters will have greater respect for your topic.
Quote by Kumanji

Quote by JDawg
Quote by TMVATDI
edit: and i used to think they were hella boring too, i remember when i was 1st itnroduced to them, the only song i liked was "Mastering the List," but then when I started to listen more they ended up being 1 of my favorite bands.

Please stop. I love the Bandits and you're making me hate myself for doing so. If you have a substantial knowledge of music theory, I believe that you CAN enjoy their music more because they're very educated and use it often. But it's not like professors sitting around...it's just kids enjoying music. Just because they're complex, it does not mean they have to be "let's sit around and look like 'The Thinker'" music. If you can get into them, they're a great band for everyone.

And like the above user said, stop trying to sound so much better than everyone on here. You'll just give the band a bad name, and they don't deserve it.
Quote by Greenfinger182
Please stop. I love the Bandits and you're making me hate myself for doing so. If you have a substantial knowledge of music theory, I believe that you CAN enjoy their music more because they're very educated and use it often. But it's not like professors sitting around...it's just kids enjoying music. Just because they're complex, it does not mean they have to be "let's sit around and look like 'The Thinker'" music. If you can get into them, they're a great band for everyone.

And like the above user said, stop trying to sound so much better than everyone on here. You'll just give the band a bad name, and they don't deserve it.

You put it better than I
Quote by Kumanji

Quote by JDawg
Especially since "excruciatingly" is seemingly too big a word for him to grasp.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by Greenfinger182

im not trying to sound better than anybody here, and i didnt mean that to enjoy the band you have to sit around analyzing the theory they use, i meant more like its music that makes you think. not think abt music theory, like abt life in general. 1st of all cuz their lyrics are very interesting and make you think abt life, politics etc., and also because of the way all the instruments play off eachother (not in a theoretical way, there's nothing in theory about matching a base drum and a bass guitar).
and i read a book "how to read literature like a professor," my comparison was that when you read a book the way professors do, you uncover more meaning, its actually more enjoyable, its not mathematical or boringly scientific or anything like that, its just something that can be more fun, when you put a little bit of thought into your music and into all entertainment, it just gets better. like if watch forest gump and really think abt all the symbolism (which most ppl dont notice) they snuck into that movie, its a lot more interesting than just watching the movie blank-minded. so my point was that, to those who consider RXB a boring band, if you listen to them with all this in mind, its not boring.
edit: actually before that guy called me "pretentious" (a word i dont even know) i wasnt even making any of these points, i was joking around but also saying its better to listen to a full RXB album than single songs. gosh ppl, calm down.
Last edited by TMVATDI at Jul 16, 2010,
Nah, since you started this thread, you've basically said everyone who doesn't like them is too stupid to understand the music, and that if you don't listen to long songs, you essentially have no right to state your opinion.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by nashawa
Nah, since you started this thread, you've basically said everyone who doesn't like them is too stupid to understand the music, and that if you don't listen to long songs, you essentially have no right to state your opinion.

i never said that, what i meant was that in order to like the rx bandits, its just the kind of thing that takes more thought. very stupid people can like rx bandits with a little thought, and very intelligent people can like other bands with no thought at all, it has nothing to do with how smart you are, just how much thought you're willing to put in to what entertains you. ppl have a right to like whatever music they like and to talk abt it, i never said anything bad abt ppl who dont like the rx bandits or who dont like long songs, i just explained that if they're boring to you, put more thought into it and it may sound better. or it might sound horrible. just try it out with that in mind, its not the kind of music you can just use as background music while you multitask, then say "they sound like shit" and ill say "ok."
Sorry, I still find your argument illogical. There are far more inaccessible bands that I enjoy. I just don't like RX Bandits.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by TMVATDI
k 1st of all, i do not understand any of the big words being thrown around by all the smart people here.

Quote by TMVATDI
And thirdly, those who are saying they don't get what's great about the RX Bandits, they're the kind of band that's more for thinking than dancing, people with large attention spans listen to an RX Bandits album the way a professor in literature reads a book.

I don't really have the drive.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
So I am not sure that I am even willing to give this band a chance...it sounds like they are trying to hard to be influential and edgy.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
AntiFlag are about as punk as Justin Lame's excuse for a mohawk.

i.e. really gay.
Please don't base your opinion of the band off of TMVATDI, he's kind of being a douche.

Did anyone bother to listen to the track I posted above? It's a good song.
WOW, that guy is such an idiot! he basically gave you guys fuel to start a fire!

Quote by nashawa
Eh, I'm mostly being a jerk.

I haven't heard them in a while, but I remember finding them really, excruciatingly boring at the time.

Fair enough, everyone's entitled to their own opinion! I just love them so much and think they're a really cool sounding band that I find it hard that some people can dislike them, although I can understand your point of perspective!
Also, I think it may be fair to guess that you heard some of their earlier stuff, Nashawa. Like I had said, their ska phase was pretty generic/boring.
Page 1 of 2