i have the money to spend for either.

I'm planning on buying a Macbook Pro, because im an incoming college student in need of a laptop, that also needs a reliable computer to record my music (guitar) on. and I've seen what the garageband program can do and I like it.

The thing is I can get a PC laptop for $100's of dollars cheaper.

For music I have Fruity Loops Studio for recording on the PC, but is Garageband a lot better?

what should I do?
from personal experiance, the garageband program is aweomse =] i dont know how it compares to the other program but garageband is amazing
It really depends on how much control you want over every aspect of your music. In my experiences, FL Studio sucked because it previews all layers seperately which caused my sound card to break up. Garageband is cool, but then again it's restricted to Mac. I never record my electric, but when I record acoustic I go with Adobe Audition. To me, it has the best noise removal and VST support out there, so you can easily fire up Guitar Rig 3/4 and do anything.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Garageband and Logic (optional) are both, two awesome applications for music! Thousands of possibilities of amps, effects, tracks, instruments, sounds,etc. in a perfect device which is a Mac.

Go for it

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
Quote by shindig864
i have the money to spend for either.

I'm planning on buying a Macbook Pro, because im an incoming college student in need of a laptop, that also needs a reliable computer to record my music (guitar) on. and I've seen what the garageband program can do and I like it.

The thing is I can get a PC laptop for $100's of dollars cheaper.

For music I have Fruity Loops Studio for recording on the PC, but is Garageband a lot better?

what should I do?

FL studio for recording? I think you can do better.

Also, my drummer is a Apple fanboy who got a Macbook Pro and is slowly hating it, as well as other Mac users I have met.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
If you really record your guitar on FL studio then your ****ed.

I tried and it sounds horrible to my ears.. Just by the Mac or pirate better programs for recording. FL studio is better for midi base/loops etc..
Quote by Carrionshine
If you really record your guitar on FL studio then your ****ed.

I tried and it sounds horrible to my ears.. Just by the Mac or buy better programs for recording. FL studio is better for midi base/loops etc..

Fixed
IMO, Mac is the way forward. They're aimed more at recording & whatnot. Plus, garageband isn't bad but can be frustrating. But you can always look at something else further down the line.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Get a Mac and Logic.

Or keep your PC and get Cubase or Sonar.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You want a program just for recording VSTs? There are many options on the PC for that, try asking in the Recording & Riffs subforum. I personally really like Reaper.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by AxSilentxLine
If you want to illegally pirate software that's your business but I know for a fact UG does not condone it and neither do I

Derp, I thought you were just correcting his gramuhz instead replacing the pirated bit.

Don't hate me! I don't condone illegal activities either.

Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Kanthras
You want a program just for recording VSTs? There are many options on the PC for that, try asking in the Recording & Riffs subforum. I personally really like Reaper.

Definitely, if you're not looking to professional with recording (which I'm gathering by you wanting to use FL Studio or Garageband), Reaper is an awesome DAW. In fact, there's quite a few professional studios that actually do use Reaper.

I've been using Reaper for a few years, and it's a great software. Easy to get used to, and extremely powerful. The only drawback, is it's pretty bulky. Processes I run on it when mixing (lots of VSTs/VSTis/etc), often make the program lag, and sometimes even shut down. With Cubase, I've never experienced this problem, using the same plugins. I hear Sonar is great as well, but I tried it for a few days and I just couldn't get used to the interface, it confuses the hell out of me - I'm so used to Reaper and Cubase, just looking at the program makes me go

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Pfft - Linux ftw.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Fixed

Np however should realize most of these programs are not worth anywhere near there asking prices.. I'm not saying "go steal everything in sight" and i can honestly say i havent bought a cd in a good 5 years. But at the end of the day piracy will win against the music industry. Better to just face it now then keep wasting your hard earned money in the end. Especially when said money is going to programs that cost an arm and a leg that CANNOT be returned usually.

Just my 2 cents.. Not looking for a fight tho

But forreal stop using FL studio for recording.. I'd say buy an Apple if your looking for status or just get a nice custom computer built for music and school of course =P
Hope TS figures it out (so its not spam obsviously)
Quote by Carrionshine
Np however should realize most of these programs are not worth anywhere near there asking prices.. I'm not saying "go steal everything in sight" and i can honestly say i havent bought a cd in a good 5 years. But at the end of the day piracy will win against the music industry. Better to just face it now then keep wasting your hard earned money in the end. Especially when said money is going to programs that cost an arm and a leg that CANNOT be returned usually.

Just my 2 cents.. Not looking for a fight tho

But forreal stop using FL studio for recording.. I'd say buy an Apple if your looking for status or just get a nice custom computer built for music and school of course =P
Hope TS figures it out (so its not spam obsviously)

I agree about the exorbinant pricing but then I get programs on education pricing
Quote by AxSilentxLine
I agree about the exorbinant pricing but then I get programs on education pricing

But then don't you just get the "Education Version" which you're not supposed to use for commercial use (ie: recording for money)?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
But then don't you just get the "Education Version" which you're not supposed to use for commercial use (ie: recording for money)?

Nope full versions of software at reduced prices
Quote by AxSilentxLine

Expensive you say? I repeat, Linux ftw!!!
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Nope full versions of software at reduced prices

Where? How??
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

Student discount, I guess?

Anyway, Reaper is a much better application for recording than FL Studio (unless your primary interest is electronic/sequence-based music, which Reaper can do as well) and as far as laptops go, Apple laptops are less reliable than Toshiba, ACER and Sony, not to mention how expensive they are. (Source: http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/11/17/reliability.study.has.apple.4th.place/)

Plus, if you're going to be doing any sort of VST-based recording (which I'm sure you are) many of them are incompatible with Macs, especially free plugins for guitars. Of course, you can emulate Windows on a Mac, but why not just get a Windows computer in the first place?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Get an Mbox and protools LE. excellent program although logic is better for certain applications. i only know beacuse i did my entire music tech diploma on protools and found it easy to use and not too demanding ont he computers at school (which are shite)
EDIT: it has a sick amp plug in too
Quote by Stugg334
I just started writing a metal solo, and so far I have:

*Hit Lead Button On Mesa*
*Spread legs to width of 160cm*
*Perform facial expression akin to that of having a woodpecker chip away at your rectum*
*Practice scales*

My greencaster =)
Last edited by JAM SAXON at Jul 14, 2010,
Personally, I love fruity loops and garage band is NOT the same thing at all. While you actually create your own loops with FL, you have to use pre-made loops with garageband, as far as I gather... (i can't find a way to make my own, if someone can help me, it'd be appreciated)
however, garage band is a much better recording program, FL sucks for that

My suggestion? get a mac, and install windows on it; that way, you can have garageband and the other awesome programs for mac, and fruity loops on windows =)
fruity loops is absolutly horrid for recording. it is fantastic for creating loops and i really like working with MIDI in FL, but recording *shudders*.

i am not a fan of macs, so i wouldnt buy one myself, but hey, whatever floats your boat. you can use programs like reaper or cubase work with either a pc or a mac. and reaper is only $60 for a non-commercial license.
macs can run ableton as well

logic is great. protools can be run on both platforms.
the mac gets to run logic.
i like logic.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer