edit: Sorry, typo. It's not a "Dual" rectifier, but just a Rectifier recording preamp. But that doesn't really matter to me.

I've debated getting a Mark V or a Roadster for awhile, but I figure a Mark V is more practical for my needs. I'm going to miss that Recto sound though, and I don't want to spend too much since I'll already be buying a massively expensive head... so I have a question.

Could I run this preamp through a Mark V power section and bypass the Mark V preamp? Basically I want to be able to use the Mark V as a power amp. I've heard about slaving but I'm not exactly sure how it works.

The reason I wouldn't be getting a head is because I don't feel like saving up another 2 grand for a Roadster (what I really want, besides the Mark V) and I think this preamp would suffice for my recto tone GAS, plus I would be using it direct with impulses a lot just for the sake of experimenting. Plus I just like the idea of having a preamp, and it just seems really practical for some reason.

But if I can't use the Mark V's power section with it, I guess I'm just going to keep saving for a Roadster.

Here's the preamp:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RectRecPre
And here's the video that made me instantly GAS for it:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ShockYoung#p/u/9/rGlAfUqEXF8
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 14, 2010,
Yes you could. That's what I do with my Crate and Peavey.

You could use it for recording, or run it's output into the Mark's power amp in.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Yeah, that will work fine, you just need to send the preamps output to the effects loop return on the Mark. It'll sound best run through a speaker that way, or using impulses like you mentioned.
Funny you posted that video too, when I saw the thread title I instantly though of that video and also Cesar Huesca's videos.
I've heard from many people who have owned one, that the Recto Recording preamp just flat out sucks.

I'd try one out before you make your decision, but for what it's worth, the Roadster has more usable channels, at least for me
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've heard from many people who have owned one, that the Recto Recording preamp just flat out sucks.

Hmmm.. from what I've heard I like the sound. It also seems a lot of people are using the recording out with the speaker emulation and it sounds like shit. I'd be using it with a real power amp, speaker, and mic.

I'd try one out before you make your decision, but for what it's worth, the Roadster has more usable channels, at least for me

Well I'd gladly take a Roadster but the Mark V just has a few things that I need. 10w mode for practice/recording in my closet... plus the Mark series are well known for producing great tones at bedroom levels... rectos, not so much. I'd rather have the channel 2 of the MKV than the Roadster. I really love the Mark IIC+ and IV tones, and the V seems to replicate those very well, but I also love the heaviness and bottom end of a Recto... so it was hard (and still is) choosing a Mark V over a Roadster, but I don't think I can have a 100w head that is going to be sitting in my closet most of the time, though I will be gigging.

If you can persuade me into choosing the Roadster, go ahead, I'm still not too confident on my decision.

edit:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ShockYoung#p/a/u/1/VUtFAvZ_LH0
This video alone has pretty much convinced me to get a MKV. His channel 3 tones are so good, pretty much what I'm after. But I still do want the option of some recto tone, so that's why I'm concidering the Recto preamp.
Last edited by Ignite at Jul 14, 2010,