It's time for a new amp. I can't stand my spider 4 any longer. As the title sugests, I play metal/metal-core, so I need an amp that can handle stuff like Atreyu, and also sound good with scooped mids. I need a COMBO. I have no room for an cab in my room. It needs to be loud enough to get over a heavy hitting drummer (I'm playing high school battle of the bands and little shows). But it also has to sound good at bedroom levels for practice and such. I can spend around 500-700 (preferably closer to 500). I don't care if it's tube or solid state, it just has to sound sweet. I've had the 6505+ suggested to mea couple times, but I just couldn't get a good sound out of it at lower volume.
For that amount of money, I don't think you can get anything better than the 6505+. I'm really surprised you don't like it. That's what Atreyu and a lot of other metalcore bands use.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm surprised by the 6505 as well. Any chance of a used Peavey XXX combo? Although I honestly don't know much about them...Randall has a few combos including their "modular" types. Not sure how they compare to their "V" series which I found to be pretty damn good.
Quote by Acap0624
It's time for a new amp. I can't stand my spider 4 any longer. As the title sugests, I play metal/metal-core, so I need an amp that can handle stuff like Atreyu, and also sound good with scooped mids. I need a COMBO. I have no room for an cab in my room. It needs to be loud enough to get over a heavy hitting drummer (I'm playing high school battle of the bands and little shows). But it also has to sound good at bedroom levels for practice and such. I can spend around 500-700 (preferably closer to 500). I don't care if it's tube or solid state, it just has to sound sweet. I've had the 6505+ suggested to mea couple times, but I just couldn't get a good sound out of it at lower volume.

And it will be repeated more and more.

I thought I should mention that a combo amp would be loud enough to get over a drummer no problem. You don't always need a 4x12 cabinet, even though there are some improvements in tone with a 4x12 cab.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Offworld92
For that amount of money, I don't think you can get anything better than the 6505+. I'm really surprised you don't like it. That's what Atreyu and a lot of other metalcore bands use.

I couldn't get it to sound good at a lower volume. And Atreyu doesn't use Peavey. Dan Jacobs (who's tone i'm looking to get close to) uses vintage Marhshall heads. He uses a 1980 Jubilee, and a 1986 JCM 800.
Quote by Acap0624
I couldn't get it to sound good at a lower volume. And Atreyu doesn't use Peavey. Dan Jacobs (who's tone i'm looking to get close to) uses vintage Marhshall heads. He uses a 1980 Jubilee, and a 1986 JCM 800.

Look for an used JCM 800?

I believe they make a combo version, or was that the 2000 DSL, can't remember.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
^ They made JCM800 combos, they just seem to be a little rarer than the heads. They also make JCM2000 combos as the DSL401 and TSL somethingorothers

Quote by Acap0624

What didn't you like about the sound at lower volumes?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Last edited by GNR4EVER at Jul 14, 2010,
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Look for an used JCM 800?

I believe they make a combo version, or was that the 2000 DSL, can't remember.

A used 800 won't get anywhere near the required gain levels without a heavy OD pedal. Keep in mind an 800 will have to get loud to sound its best too.

If the 6505 wasn't your cup of tea, maybe go for a Bugera 6260, 6262, 333 or 333XL?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by GNR4EVER
What didn't you like about the sound at lower volumes?

It sounded fuzzy and weird. Theres something about the pre-gain and post-gain that I don't like
Quote by Acap0624

I guess it depends on what era of tone you're going for, because I'm positive that they have used 6505's. They've also used 5150's, and dual rectifiers as well.

I'm not sure which gear they used on which albums though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Raijouta
A used 800 won't get anywhere near the required gain levels without a heavy OD pedal. Keep in mind an 800 will have to get loud to sound its best too.

If the 6505 wasn't your cup of tea, maybe go for a Bugera 6260, 6262, 333 or 333XL?

Perhaps a lower wattage tube amp would sound better as you can push it more?

But I think you want more wattage for metal anyways :P
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Perhaps a lower wattage tube amp would sound better as you can push it more?

But I think you want more wattage for metal anyways :P

Speaking of lower wattage tube amps, know any that are good for metal straight out of the box without pedals? I don't have alot of money so pedals are out of the question haha.
Quote by Acap0624
Speaking of lower wattage tube amps, know any that are good for metal straight out of the box without pedals? I don't have alot of money so pedals are out of the question haha.

Blackstar HT-20, perhaps...?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta

Can it do modern metal/metalcore though? The with right OD or distortion pedal, maybe.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Anyone know if I could pull a few power tubes out of a Peavey 6505+? I hears you can't pull power tubes out of a cathode based amp and they're cathode based... I think?

Quote by Raijouta

Have you ever heard one play metal? I haven't gotten my hands on one just yet